• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I knew a guy that shot himself in the right foot TWICE w/44 Magnum. A couple of months apart between shootings. What an idiot. How ya been GARY? I'm sure I'm not the only one here that knows him.
    Darwinism

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is a reason I took the shell out of the tube when i hunted deer with a shotgun and now there is a reason I take the primer out of my muzzleloader before raising or lowering it with my pull rope...Something about looking down the barrel of a loaded gun doesnt appeal to me :dunno:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    There is a reason I took the shell out of the tube when i hunted deer with a shotgun and now there is a reason I take the primer out of my muzzleloader before raising or lowering it with my pull rope...Something about looking down the barrel of a loaded gun doesnt appeal to me :dunno:

you don't loop the rope around the butt stock or threw the butt end sling mount and pull it up muzzle down????....that's the first thing i learned when i was 12....

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    you don't loop the rope around the butt stock or threw the butt end sling mount and pull it up muzzle down????....that's the first thing i learned when i was 12....

No because I dont want to put my muzzle on the ground or try to prop it up against a tree then have the gun flip to muzzle-down when I pull it to do it that way. I put the rope inside the sling on the forearm end. We set all of our ropes long enough that we can lower the gun to the ground, put the buttstock on the ground, then turn the barrel to lean it up against the tree.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    if the gun has a sling, climb the tree with it? obviously still unloaded. but then the muzzle is way over my head.

the string on the stand i use is also just short enough where the gun wont touch the ground when its hanging.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Good Idea.

In Before Kirk Freeman.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The only reason I dont climb with mine, is we use mostly ladder stands that have shooting rails and the rails get in my way if my gun is on my shoulder. I dont want to have to un-shoulder my gun while im halfway in the stand then finish climbing in while holding it. I'd rather climb in safely, hang my pack up then pull my gun into the stand with me. Same thing going down, its just easier to unload it and lower it than to try to climb out with it.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I suppose I have been at it as long as most, I lean the muzzle loader up against the tree, muzzle down, tie the line around the wrist under the trigger guard, haul it up from that position. When lowering, the line is just long enough to let the muzzle touch the ground and I can lean it against the tree with the line.If you take any kind of care you don't need to worry about the muzzle. If it were really muddy I might find a chunk of wood to rest the muzzle on. Has worked for near 35 years. In the case of the accident I have to imagine he had it pointed muzzle up from the git go. Maybe he dropped the line on the way up and the sudden impact with Terra firma set it off.Trying to load a M/L in a tree stand might present more hazard than hoisting up a loaded gun safely.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    lolz...

I think most people have permanent or semi-permanent setups where they hunt. Even if you use a climber with no pegs, after you climb up the first time, just tie a rope to the tree. Ta-da! Even if it's your first time out, just climb the tree twice.

I just use a slip knot around the stock, but wire loop through the swivel stud and a $1 caribener would work great.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    The only reason I dont climb with mine, is we use mostly ladder stands that have shooting rails and the rails get in my way if my gun is on my shoulder. I dont want to have to un-shoulder my gun while im halfway in the stand then finish climbing in while holding it. I'd rather climb in safely, hang my pack up then pull my gun into the stand with me. Same thing going down, its just easier to unload it and lower it than to try to climb out with it.
    ah. the one i use, the shooting rail folds back for getting in and out. i thought most would be like that.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I tighten the pull rope down on the middle of my sling. gun is still unloaded, but it keeps the entire firearm off the ground, out of the tree etc.

harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I agree, lowering the gun pointing down is the proper, not to mention 'common sense" thing to do. That is how I raise and lower my gun out of my climber stand. In my ladder stands, I tend to carry mine up, however, the gun does not have one in the chamber.

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Or just tape your muzzle and leave it in place all the time. Painters tape, electrical tape, etc.

A foot or so of spare wrapped elsewhere gives you post shot replacements.

Top Bottom