How do we make progress when they refuse to admit they are wrong??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Dogs bark, snakes slither, liberals lie...even to themselves. We should accept it as the position they start from. If they are advocating a 'conversation' it is only to try and convince you to do something they would force you to do if they could.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    The couple debates I’ve gotten into in the past week have been much the same. Thankfully they’ve remained civil. In each case, the main antagonist has admitted that he or she can’t refute the evidence I presented his/her opinion wouldn’t change. I thanked them for finally being honest and reiterated my thoughts that uninformed opinion is a terrible way to make policy.

I saw another thread, but didn’t have time to respond, in which a guy claimed that he knew most ARs were full auto because they always were in the video games he played. I didn’t know whether to laugh or be terrified.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "Widely criticized on Twitter" is now a badge of honor.

My FB response from another thread here - sorry/not sorry if you saw it already:

RANT: It is getting really tiring defending our Constitutional government and telling the same people the same things over and over again. Strong emotions + ignorance = bad policy. Strong emotions are understandable at the present time. I love my children and hurt for bereaved families. But ignorance? So many can’t tell an assault rifle from an “assault weapon,” “the right of the people” from the enumerated powers of the state, semi-auto from full auto, what’s required when you buy a firearm, the government definition of a machine gun, what a bump stock actually does and how you don’t need one to get the same effect, how the NRA is made up of your neighbors and is not some monolithic evil corporation, that the NRA spends less money and has less influence than unions and progressive PACs, that feet and hands kill way more people than rifles, how difficult, rare and expensive it is to own a full auto firearm, how rarely the current laws are enforced, ad nauseum.

Negotiating from a position of ignorance is not a good place in which to put yourself. You wouldn’t dream of discussing calculus or quantum physics or organic chemistry with a practitioner of these without some knowledge of the subject (unless you are post-modernist; then it seems ignorance is a virtue). Why would you presume to make laws about things you don’t understand? That will not end well.

A fanatic is someone who won’t change his mind and won’t change the subject. I am quite willing to change my mind if the proposed solution will: respect due process, comply with the Constitution, prevent future occurrences, and would have prevented past events if that solution was in place at the time.

Don't forget to remind them that it isn't the NRA's money that politicians fear, it is the millions of likely voters who have come together to form an organization that will aid them to get their viewpoint heard. It is a true grass roots organization. The only thing politicians ever will choose over money is preserving their place at the trough

Top Bottom