• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    I use some newpaper with dry bark. One other small wood that is good for me is broken up pallets

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh yeah...we usually have a few chunks of charcoal stashed here and there, too. Just in case. It helps keep things going. :)

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    When starting a campfire I usually use the lean to method. I grab a decent sized log throw some tinder down next to it and start leaning kindling up on the log. I am a woodworker and a woodcarver so I always have scap wood and shavings to use as kindling and tinder. I'm a old Boy Scout and have lit fires with everything from flint and steel to a bow and drill. I used to use cotton balls when using a flint and steel, never tried it with vasoline. I will have to try that sometime.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    have lit fires with everything from flint and steel to a bow and drill.

First time I ever tried my little flint key chain thing, a couple little shavings of magnesium were stuck on my finger. When I struck the flint, they ignited super hot, super fast. Talk about a "super hurt". Instant white blisters. Not big, but they sure HURT big!

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    As a scout leader I have seen or used
    Bug Spray
    Fatwood
    Charcoal Lighter
    Kerosene
    Leaf blowers (for air)
    Propane torch
    Dryer lint
    Used motor oil

Never with the boys though....

and don't try any of this at home

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Dryer lint is a staple of my firebuilding. And, since I'm impatient, I use some cedar door shims (purchase a bundle cheap at home depot or whatever) broken and split in half for kindling. They're super dry and catch quick.

A fist sized (loose) ball of lint, teepee the split kindling, bigger kindling around that in a loose teepee. Small logs or split logs added slowly after that, leading up to big logs.

If I've got damp wood, it gets laid on the rocks making up the firepit and rotated so all sides get some heat to dry it out.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We spent the weekend camping and building fires with varying wood quality and dampness. As I was grilling my steaks, I started to think about all the different ways and methods of building a campfire. One thing that I've started doing is packing a propane torch. It feels like cheating, but man does that wood catch FAST! :D

I started using a propane torch to start the fireplace a couple years ago. It's awesome. Hit the trigger and whoosh. Very cool.

A little bellows is on a par with it though. Must have been the 1800's equivelant of a torch. I keep both handy near the fire place.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I am the assistant scoutmaster for a scout troop, i have seen fires made every way, well nearly. I do my best to instill within my scouts the abilities to craft fire from multiple ways. The vasoline soaked cotton balls have been a godsend for some of them, when all else fails, cottonballs prevail.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I save empty toilet paper tubes.

I have sawdust falling out of my ..........Bet you thought I was gonna say a bad word didn't you? Ears.

I combine paraffin and sawdust about 50/50 and fill the old TP tubes, I normally cheat and even use part of an old cotton T-shirt to make a wick.

Even wet wood will succumb to my fire abilities using these.

As far as stacking I do the Tee-pee thing, lay my homemade firestarter in the center and once I light that I place small kindling in the center. Also if it is a large firepit I will cross-stack it works great because it allows so much air in between the wood.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I use fatwood now. I heat my home with wood about 10-15% of the time in the cold weather months. The way I make is outdoor fires is:

You crumble up some newspaper, twigs, leafs, very small thin, but wide pieces of _dry_ wood, and some pieces of fatwood. You then find there medium pieces of split, and very dry firewood and shape it like a teepee/pyramid with the kindling mix at the base. For me, this works every time.

I think it would be hard to get damp firewood burning. You will need to really get it as dry as possible. I would have enough dry firewood to get a very hot fire going. Place the damp pieces as close as possible, but not close enough to where they start to burn. The heat from the fire should help evaporate some of the surface moisture. The instructions for my wood stove say that once you get a hot fire going, non-seasoned wood is fine. Any residual water in the wood will flash boil anyway.

By the way, buy your fatwood in the plastic bags at Mernards. Walmart used to be cheaper, but the brand they carry now is much more costly than what you can get from Mernards. If you make a lot of wood fires, think about checking the bulk pricing on-line.

antiwheeze

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    propane torch isnt a bad idea.
    taking care of a few burn patients has cured me of the temptation to use gas!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    08-1464-firewood-fuel-guatemala.JPG

GasCan.jpg

lit-match1.jpg

bonfire_big.jpg

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 9 volt battery and steel wool trick. You could keep it in your car and you don't have to worry about it being too windy.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I still have a bunch of Trioxane heat tabs from the military...half of one of those will start just about anything burning in the wet. Otherwise I normally carry some fatwood with me into the woods.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Teepee/ log cabin hybrid. Bag of Fritos or other corn chips in the middle, Match or lighter thre you have it. Just have to keep peope from eating the chips!

Top Bottom