How do you care for your blued handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Got my first blued handgun, can't find a *best* way to take care of it. Some people say they bathe it in oil and leave it dripping, others lightly oil and wipe-off, others use a Hoppe's flannel cloth, others do nothing at all.

All agree not to leave it in a holster, but that's all anyone could seem to agree on across the web. Hoping some of you seasoned fellows could start me off on the right foot so this thing will last a while.

-Chris :draw:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    When I was a youngster and stainless steel firearms were rare and expensive we used a light coat of silicone-based car wax to help protect against rust getting started on the metal parts of our hunting and carry weapons. It worked extremely well at keeping moisture out and didn't require nearly as much regular attention and reapplication as oils or RIG did with frequent use and handling.

For non-stainless items that are being stored for extended periods or "wall hanger"/display pieces I like a product called "Renaissance Wax". It was developed for preservation of metal, wood, leather, etc. artifacts being stored or displayed in museums and does a Primo job of it. It seems pretty expensive for such a small container, but a tiny bit goes a long, long way. I've been using it on both firearms and edged weapons for many years with excellent results: Not a single instance where any corrosion or deterioration was found even after several years had passed since the item had last been taken out and examined.

Blue Wonder makes a polymer-based product especially for firearms called "Armadillo" that also works very nicely.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The best way I have found to care for my blued handgun was start with a wire wheel, then sandpaper then alcohol, then a hot bath in parkerizing solution. :D

Seriously though a thick oil if you store it a while or carry it, or WD40 if you clean it regularly is fine. It does depend a little on the type and depth of the bluing as well.

Top Bottom