• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ...was contemplating how comfortable and manageable AIWB would be while hiking/wearing a pack...

anyone ever do that?
    I'm not an AIWB kind of a guy
    but I might try it for hiking/fishing etc

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just got done doing 30 miles or so in the Smokey Mountains, and I elected not to take my S&W .44 629 simply because it was so dang heavy, and counting oz really matters when hiking.

Time to buy a nice light .357!!

I have a Ruger LCR in .357. For black bears, .357 should be plenty, even out of a snub nose. Most hiking pants have nice deep pockets and deep side pockets as well. If I finally ever get back to Glaicer and Yellowstone over the next few years, I might finally buy a .44 with a 4" barrel. I personally would rather have the bear spray though. It is proven, and it is more like a shotgun pattern than one single bullet. I might look at the S&W 329PD at 25.1 oz., but I'm not sure how that would feel shooting .44mag with the reduced weight.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I personally would rather have the bear spray though. It is proven,

Proven to make you tastier when the bear eats you! ;)

I've stated my opinion on this before, so I'll save you the rant, but suffice to say, based on my rather extensive interactions with brown bears in Alaska and from the general sentiment of Alaskans, I'll pass on the bear spray!

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll be in Michigan doing some day hiking in bear country. Heaven forbid something actually happens and I need to get to my gun quickly and it's buried in my pack. My EDC holster isn't going to work, nor is the fanny-pack holster that I have.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

Unless your "EDC" is a S&W 500...

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Unless your "EDC" is a S&W 500...
    Have one I can borrow for a week? lol.
    The gun isn't for the bears, it's for my hiking partner. All I have to do is shoot her in the leg.
    But seriously, I highly doubt that I'll even see a bear let alone have to worry about a charge. But in the extremely unlikely chance that I do, I don't want to have difficulty getting to my gun.

sgt1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2015
    lynn
    im from michagn and mom has land in northern . and i cary mine in a shouder rig even with my pack on and we have 3 bares running our place so i like to have mine ready fast .so try it and see if that works for you

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'll have to look into that as OC is legal in Michigan.

There are a few possible configurations and here is what I have learned with trying them.

First, the best position for the holster is higher than you would think. If you stand up straight with your arms at your sides, cup your finger a little; just curl your fingers. The bottom of the holster should fit inside your curled fingers. Mounting the holster lower than this enables it to move around your leg more easily if you ever run, jog, or flex to climb obstacles, etc.
    If this is still too high for you once you put your pack and gear on, be sure to position the holster as high as the gear permits.

Second, I found that the 6004 is sightly less expensive than the 6005. (EDIT: I checked when I got home and the one I configured the same as the link below is actually a 6005 but has the single leg strap. They are similar enough that you won't notice a difference. My recommendation below stands).The plate that is the base of the assembly is the same but the 6004 does not have the clip on the drop strap that the 6005 has. Also, you can buy it with one leg strap or two and the one leg strap has worked just fine for me. I found that the 6005 with the clip on the drop strap made it very difficult to get the holster into the correct position.

This is the rig settled on: LINK ....Then just add the holster for your weapon. I do recommend an ALS retention holster like the 6378. Just to prevent loss of the weapon if you slip, trip, or fall. Drawing is no slower than a non-retention holster once you practice a little. However, I'm pretty sure all Safariland holsters use the same mounting so they will all mount to the 6004 so pick whichever you think meets your needs.

Last edited:

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    Carry your broomstick for 2-legged predators, maybe bear spray for Teddy. Black bears are not known for attacking humans. If you are heading to Alaska that is a different story. My 2 pennies.

jhparsons78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Just picked up a Hill People Gear original kit bag and added a MIC holster to the inside. Great fit for my G 19. I was planning on breaking it in this spring, but as nice as it has been I may get my chance sooner than later.

Top Bottom