How do you classify yourself as a prepper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Post #3 are items I worry about. Also localized such as a house fire, tornado, chemical spill where I have to temporarily or permanently leave.

Got enough items prepped that makes my wife roll her eyes when she sees stuff, but give me a hug when she has a cooling fan and is drinking hot coffee a week into a power outage. And then there is the stuff she doesn’t know about.

If if we don’t have to leave the Homestead we’re good for a couple months and can hunker down and defend what we have. If we have to leave in the truck we’ve got a 300+ mile radius but would need to be creative with location. If we had to leave on foot might be able to haul enough for a week but need to be creative, resourceful and lucky after the first week.

Have Go Bags and Go Stuff with checklists depending on amount of time and amount I can carry.

Prepping wise I can buy Stuff but that is not the real long term solution. The true solution is to continue to build skills.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Post #3 are items I worry about. Also localized such as a house fire, tornado, chemical spill where I have to temporarily or permanently leave.

Got enough items prepped that makes my wife roll her eyes when she sees stuff, but give me a hug when she has a cooling fan and is drinking hot coffee a week into a power outage. And then there is the stuff she doesn’t know about.

If if we don’t have to leave the Homestead we’re good for a couple months and can hunker down and defend what we have. If we have to leave in the truck we’ve got a 300+ mile radius but would need to be creative with location. If we had to leave on foot might be able to haul enough for a week but need to be creative, resourceful and lucky after the first week.

Have Go Bags and Go Stuff with checklists depending on amount of time and amount I can carry.

Prepping wise I can buy Stuff but that is not the real long term solution. The true solution is to continue to build skills.

If we have to leave it would be by vehicle. None of us are hiking very far carrying very much.
    We have alternate routes laid out to specific destinations.
    Totes loaded and sealed. Probably a solid weeks supply's.
    It is time to pull them out and rotate the clothing to warmer weather attire.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    A really well stocked pantry/'root cellar', and well water.
    I guess a big earth quake could take the wells (what are the odds?).
    Large pond out front, river 800 yards away (sometimes 600 yards away ;) )

Never was connected to power or water grids, so electricity isn't an issue.

My home is poured concrete so tornados, floods or fire can't carry it off...
    Not an underground bunker, but building in tornado alley I wanted something more sturdy than sticks & plywood.
    (Tornados scare the crap out of me, so I like to build earth sheltered, not underground.)

I enjoy large scale gardening and make a little money from it, so I don't think food would be too much of an issue...
    By accident rather than design we have way more home canning than we even come close to needing.

I think I fall squarely into the 'Accumulator' category rather than 'Prepper'.
    I've accumulated a bunch of home canned food, a bunch of 'Junk' cars & trucks in the back fence row (parts!), I'm not a firearms 'Collector' but I have an accumulation of different caliber firearms, same with machines and machine tools, same with older, smaller farm equipment.

It's going to be one heck of an estate sale when I croak... The auction company will loose their minds!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I consider myself a person who is reasonably prepared and reasonably ready to handle natural or manmade emergencies that may jeapardize myself, my families, or my communities health and well being. I'm honest with myself, and I know all those who came before me, all who are coming after, and all those I know now will eventually die. My #1 prep is trying to live my life the way God would have me do it. Beyond that, if an emergency hits and I can either through equipment or skills help ease the suffering of others then I'll be happy to help. I don't want earthquakes or government problems, but if they come I'd like to know I can get people some clean water, and some fresh fish or venison. I think it'd make things worse for me to have to watch people needlessly suffer during a SHTF event than the actual discomforts that come with it. I know I'm going to die some day, but if I can help people out while I'm still around I'd like to.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We're set-up for a week (10-day supply for 5) for where we live...with water, food, toiletries, first-aid, etc.
    Dad's farm is 10 miles away and we can walk it if necessary...or use mountain bikes...with a small trailer to bring basics along.
    Out on the farm, there are Amish neighbors (beef, milk, water, etc.) and dad still has an older well with a working hand-pump.
    Dad raises chickens (100 per year) and has a stocked pond...so there's additional food supply as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I consider myself a person who is reasonably prepared and reasonably ready to handle natural or manmade emergencies that may jeapardize myself, my families, or my communities health and well being. I'm honest with myself, and I know all those who came before me, all who are coming after, and all those I know now will eventually die. My #1 prep is trying to live my life the way God would have me do it. Beyond that, if an emergency hits and I can either through equipment or skills help ease the suffering of others then I'll be happy to help. I don't want earthquakes or government problems, but if they come I'd like to know I can get people some clean water, and some fresh fish or venison. I think it'd make things worse for me to have to watch people needlessly suffer during a SHTF event than the actual discomforts that come with it. I know I'm going to die some day, but if I can help people out while I'm still around I'd like to.

Brother if only. I say this as to where we live and the ever changing climate of the city.
    We have a few solid neighbors. They have some great kids that play in our back yard regularly. They would be among those we would include. We could not feed them full time nor could we let them starve either. That is my weak point. The kids.

The real issue is anybody outside of those few family's. One it is known that you have......they will want.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If we have to leave it would be by vehicle. None of us are hiking very far carrying very much.
    We have alternate routes laid out to specific destinations.

Alternate transportation?

*IF* I needed to bug out...
    The river is 800 yards away.
    Down river doesn't take a motor, so no sound/fuel required.
    I have people use my little river dock for a break, they are generally respectful, use the trash can, don't stray up to the house, etc.
    A couple chairs, trash can, place to tie up, and a sign that says "Be Respectful" is all it takes for regular people.

In other countries I've seen upwards of 500 pounds on a moped or bicycle.

In other countries I've seen boards with casters/roller wheels on rail road tracks that transported over a ton of supplies.
    I've also seen mopeds/bicycles with an outrigger arm & wheel that operated on rail road tracks.
    Basically a piece of electrical conduit gauge tubing and a wheel.

There is an old rail road spur out here that runs about 40 miles, used once in a while by woodworking companies in the area to shuttle freight via an old yard engine.
    People make push carts for kids & coolers and take nature walks along that rail spur (it's a really nice nature walk) on weekends.
    There are a couple people that use batteries & electric motors for their carts, but most just use a stick to push the kids while they walk.
    I've never seen anyone using a combustion engine, kind of a noise thing since it's a nature hike route.

The carts are easy to tip up out of the way when you meet someone to let them pass.
    The rule is the most people (mostly kids & support gear for kids) stays on the track.
    Very polite people on trails most times...

Just some thoughts on travel when highways aren't an option...

I'm sure there is a difference between city & country folks, I've seen plenty which is why I live rural.
    My close neighbors (within 5 miles or so) are the get a glass of tea and sit awhile types, which I really like.
    Even smaller cities have the 'Hood Rat' types which gall on me...
    Doing nothing for a while is fine with me, just visit or hang out.
    It's the people looking for trouble, disrespectful just to entertain themselves I can't stand for long, and won't tolerate at all in my own area.

Last edited:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I prepare for a month or 2 without power and/or some weather disaster. Id like to have the ability to have at least 10 acres and have a "tornado shelter" or something underground.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Watch the movie "When Worlds Collide". I'm working on being able to prepare for that event.

I have some 10 year old mre's minus the fig newtons and shortbread cookies. They were really good. There are some other goodies around, but I have to go looking for them. When shift, I'll use that free time to get organized.

I finished my preps for when world collide. I'm disorganized but ready to deal with the 45 seconds of SHTF when worlds collide now.

Top Bottom