• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I was looking at what is left of my deer and I think the femurs are wide enough to use for making a set of grips. What is the recommended way to clean the bones before I start shaping?

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    You can either boil them for immediate results or you can leave them hanging in a tree and the bugs will clean them for you. Either way works but boiling works faster and you dont have to worry about losing them to dogs or other animals nawing on them.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Boil with a little Arm & Hammer washing soda (not baking soda, chemically different, IIRC) in the water, that'll clean and degrease them.

HB

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Boiling softens bone quite a bit, so unless you are going to vacuum stabilize them before turning them into handle slabs you might want to avoid it. Bleach does worse. Application of just a surface finish will leave the bone under it soft.

To keep them at full hardness you can sink them into a pail full of water, and change it out when it starts to look greasy. When the slick no longer appears it is clean. A hosing down with hydrogen peroxide will kill any bacteria remaining, and you can repeat that treatment until it is as white as you want.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Made a knife handle 15 yrs ago from a deer bone;IIRC, I soaked it in denatured alcohol to degrease after removing as much marrow as possible with a couple of big drill bits. Knife has held up well.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Get the Dermestid beeltes. You will have to spend a little more up front, but from the limited bone cleaning I have done was messy and difficult at best with boiling.

I have since researched this more and my next shot will be with the beetles. Let them do the work for you. This way you do not damage the bones you are working with.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Get the Dermestid beeltes. You will have to spend a little more up front, but from the limited bone cleaning I have done was messy and difficult at best with boiling.

I have since researched this more and my next shot will be with the beetles. Let them do the work for you. This way you do not damage the bones you are working with.

+1 On the beatles. Will be clean in a matter of days. I boiled a deer head once, turned out great, but was pretty messy, and stunk up the garage. Bones may not bee as labor intensive as the skull though.

dashby115

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Greenwood
    I had someone tell me to bury them in soil for a couple of months and let the bacteria clean them..sounds kinda weird to me. has anyone else heard of this?

Top Bottom