• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Bore snake that is!!! I'm fairly new to using them and noticed that my AR snake is looking kind of grungy. Do you soak it in soapy water and wring it out? Pop it into the dishwasher or washing machine???:dunno:

I don't know, that's why I'm asking. What do you do???

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A number of people on Google say you can drop it in a delicates bag or sock and then drop it in the washing machine. Glad you asked the question, tho. Mine will need it, too.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I just throw mine in the bathroom sink with some dawn dish soap and hand wash them,rinse them out really good and toss em over the shower rod to dry

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have recently found the joy of bore snakes, and was wondering the same thing. Havent tried the rifle or pistol calibers yet, but its hands down the best way I have found to clean a shotgun barrel so far.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    You can use the sink or basin then air dry method as mentioned. Or ...

As a suggestion, fold it back and forth so that it's about 5-6 inches long (or whatever is neatest without either flopping too loose or knotted too tight), then twist/tie around the middle with a bread wrapper and run through the washer and dryer with the rest of the work clothes.

If you try the latter method, do not use a rubber band, as the dryer heat setting will partially melt it to the snake, which although can be picked out or removed easily enough, may cause unnecessary aggravation.

Last edited:

Hillbillyblood

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    LaPorte Indiana
    I'm surprised that title didn't get people stirred up:laugh:

Yes, Dawn dish washing liquid is very good for cleaning the snake.

Its your snake and you can wash it however you want to!!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    My brother uses the delicate's bag, then hangs them over the shower rod to dry. Mine usually get stolen, so I have not had to clean them yet,

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hot soapy water in a Mason jar... shake the crap out of it... rinse it...fling it over the shower rod.

I was putting them in the clothes washing machine in a delicate bag. But the string at the end was always getting knotted up, especially when cleaning multiple snakes.

But, I may have to try the Mason jar idea.
    Although I'd try a rinse cycle to clean out the soap.

Thanks.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just throw mine in the bathroom sink with some dawn dish soap and hand wash them,rinse them out really good and toss em over the shower rod to dry

This works great for me, too. Be careful about putting it in the washing machine. The gun oil can leave a residue in the tub that is very difficult to remove and will make a distinct impact on clothes subsequently washed in that machine—at least that is what my wife is telling me.

Top Bottom