• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IMO the command 'down and stay' is important and should be taught early also. It comes in handy when there is a danger you can see that they may not. This is another one that requires absolute obedience instilled at an early age.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Sheila in your situation specificly, I'd suggest an invisible fence with shock collar. You could just put her collar on when outside so she cannot run off of your property. I know Shelby and she is an obedient dog, but all dogs can get side tracked and forget their name. Lol

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Sheila in your situation specificly, I'd suggest an invisible fence with shock collar. You could just put her collar on when outside so she cannot run off of your property. I know Shelby and she is an obedient dog, but all dogs can get side tracked and forget their name. Lol

Yes she is obedient but she just doesn't come to me like she used to. I have to yell and yell at her. We do have a shock collar and yes it works. I guess I will go back to using that. She knows all the commands like sit, stay, down, come ( most times) it is just frustrating when I ask her to come and she stops and looks at me and then goes her way. The shock collar is going back on her because she knows when that is on she will get shocked so she listens to the command a lot better.
    She is a wonderful dog and very smart. I think she has picked up on our other dog (11 yrs old) who is so hard headed and does about whatever he wants. He sleeps most of the day and only goes out about 3 times a day so he makes the most of those times when he is out by smelling and leaving his mark on everything.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yes she is obedient but she just doesn't come to me like she used to. I have to yell and yell at her. We do have a shock collar and yes it works. I guess I will go back to using that. She knows all the commands like sit, stay, down, come ( most times) it is just frustrating when I ask her to come and she stops and looks at me and then goes her way. The shock collar is going back on her because she knows when that is on she will get shocked so she listens to the command a lot better.
    She is a wonderful dog and very smart. I think she has picked up on our other dog (11 yrs old) who is so hard headed and does about whatever he wants. He sleeps most of the day and only goes out about 3 times a day so he makes the most of those times when he is out by smelling and leaving his mark on everything.

Yelling, I wonder if she is losing her hearing? My Golden Chow mix lived to be almost 16. By age 15 I started noticing he was.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    find a sturdy stick and beat them with it until they do what you want

Nope... I am more brutal. When they don't obey, I lock them in a room with a Hillary campaign speech going on the TV that I recorded for just this sadistic purpose. The poor things come out with a headache and their ears bleeding. But they will do what they are told for a long time after treatment. Don't nobody want to listen to that for very long...

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Yelling, I wonder if she is losing her hearing? My Golden Chow mix lived to be almost 16. By age 15 I started noticing he was.

No she hears me I yell because she is a distance away in our yard or the neighbors. She hears me because she will stop and look my way but then decides nope I am going home yet.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Possibly reinforce that you are the alpha. There are multiple ways of doing it but one way I always liked was to never let her pass through a door or enter a room until you do so first. Let her know that she is second.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Nope... I am more brutal. When they don't obey, I lock them in a room with a Hillary campaign speech going on the TV that I recorded for just this sadistic purpose. The poor things come out with a headache and their ears bleeding. But they will do what they are told for a long time after treatment. Don't nobody want to listen to that for very long...

You make Aushawitz seem like Disneyland.

Top Bottom