How do you find an accurate price for used handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blake2981

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenfield
    Thanks in advance for all your assistance. I am farely new in buying used firearms. All my guns I have, came from a dealer

There is a local auction coming up with multiple guns in it. My problem is, I don't know what a lot of them are worth. Is there a website or magazine I could look at to get accurate gun prices?

For instance below are some examples:
    WW2 German Lugar w/ Nazi emblem (no more desc in ad)
    Winchester Shotgun Mod 37
    S&W 44Mag mod 629-1 6in barrel
    S&W 44Mag mod 629-1 8-3/8in barrel
    Glock mod26 9mm
    CZ 9mm Mod75sp-1 phantom
    Taurus 357 mod66 revolver w/ wood grips
    Taurus 45acp Mod 24-7
    Sig Sauer 40 S&W p226 stainless w/xtra grips and night sights
    Remington 12ga mod1100
    Paraordnance 45 mod p12-45

Thanks,
    Blake

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    +1 to ^. Also just prowl your local area shops. Gun values vary by area and are fluid. Keep an eye on the INGO classifieds looking at closed ads to see selling prices.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    One of the problems with auctions is that people can overpay for a gun really quick. A guide will give you an idea of what you SHOULD pay, but you will have to keep your head cool when bidding. Some folks find a competitive streak in them they never knew they had! :D I know... :( Look those prices up and make a "guide" sheet to take with you. When you see the gun in actuality, then you can circle the condition you wrote down and the price therein (I have made spreadsheets I took with me, REALLY helped out). You are going better armed than someone off the street and you won't get ripped off.

Also not to say the auctioning company doesn't know what they are selling either: I've gone to a ton of auctions, I would say most of them knew the value of the gun and sold close to it (and had reasonable starting prices). There have been a few where stuff got crazy quick. One during the Panic had a ratty Romanian Ak, missing stock and handguards, no mags and canted front sight went for $800+ final bid. Another one had a Rock Island Compact model (officer's) that went for $600 final bid because the guys bidding were too competitive (one was drunk, which doesn't help) and the other guy thought he got a great deal on it (under the delusion that it was a Rock Island ARSENAL, not Armory, M15 General Officer's model), boy was he POed. Sometimes, when I mean a auctioning company doesn't know what they have, I really mean it: Saw a starting bid on a .45 Sig P220, VERY beat up, began at $600, sold for $800. Lots of foolishness floating around...

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    If you can get ahold of a Blue Book of gun values that would be the way to start. Go to a few gun shops and see what they are selling for. On line I usually start with Gun America and Buds Gun Shop.
    Guns for Sale, Gun Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop for Guns at GunsAmerica
    Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop
    I go to alot of auctions, sometimes you can get a good deal. Sometimes things go for higher than what they are worth, people get caught up in the auction and keep bidding. Research all the values of what you are interested in as much as possible. Then set yourself a maximum and stick to it.
    Good Luck

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    gun prices

Most of the guns I have bought lately have been used. To check prices, I will usually go to gunbroker.com. I search for the specific gun I am looking for and can generally get a good comparison.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Only problem with GunBroker is that sellers can sometimes list really weird prices on guns and there may not be alot of examples to judge pricing from, for example in the OP's list of the Luger pistol. Also, the pricing varies with the geographical area: I saw guns significantly higher in Ohio than here in Indiana, and at quite a few stores. This is also reflected in Gunbroker sometimes...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I go to gunbroker and search in the sold in the last few months section. That will tell you what the firearm really sold for.

At a live auction, check to see if there is a buyer premium. Many auctions charge the buyer as well as the seller a percentage of the selling price as their fee. If there is a buyer fee make sure your bid includes that added cost. Not watching the buyer fee could cause you to bid to much and find out that what you thought was a good buy is now 10% or more over value.

Top Bottom