How do YOU gauge sharpness on your knives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    How do YOU gauge sharpness on your knives? What do you use to sharpen?

I'm am amateur knife enthusiast who has recently started resharpening his own blades. Currently I only have a cheap/basic sharpening method (carbide V-shaped drag-through mechanism, followed by the same method in ceramic for a finer finish) which I can only assume is sub-par in terms of getting a good edge back on the blade. All my experience thus far is with EDC folding knives, so that's what I'm referring to.

That being said, the edges I put on my blades FEEL sharp when you drag your thumb across the blade (perpendicular to the blade). Is what I'm feeling sharpness, or just burs left by a cheap/rough sharpening surface?

How do you gauge how "sharp" your blade is? The typical "hold construction paper in one hand and cut with the other" test? I'd like to see an example of how much sharper a well sharpened knife is, than one of mine.

I do have an ulterior motive here...I'm trying to convince myself that I need to buy an Edge Pro Apex :laugh:

As a bonus for clicking my thread here's a pic of my carry blades - everyone likes pics! A cheap winchester commemorative, and a couple of Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks :cheers:

3YFOj.jpg

Yes, my name is engraved into the larger kershaw....I was playing around with an engraving machine about 4 years ago. :(

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've alwaysused the old "arm hair shaving" test, if it shaves, it's good enough for me.

I had one knife come so sharp I swear the hair jumped off my arm in fear... I think it was my SOG Twitch II... the CRKT Ringed Razel came a close second from the factory..

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I use the hair on the back of my hands. I just found out the other day my g-pa would use his belly hair. Funny stuff.

On a side not can I suggest the spyderco sharpmaker. There is alot of dudes on here who have it, I have it. It is a great sharpening system.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I use the hair on the back of my hands. I just found out the other day my g-pa would use his belly hair. Funny stuff.

On a side not can I suggest the spyderco sharpmaker. There is alot of dudes on here who have it, I have it. It is a great sharpening system.

Thanks, I'm checking that out now. One thing I like about the Edge Pro is that it takes care of getting the same angle on every stroke, I don't really trust my hand to be able to do that.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I let the customer test the sharpness. when they are speechless or a week later tell me they cut themselves a few times I know I did it right. and really people only need edge pros if they reprofile blades on the regular or have more money than brains.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I've alwaysused the old "arm hair shaving" test, if it shaves, it's good enough for me.

I had one knife come so sharp I swear the hair jumped off my arm in fear... I think it was my SOG Twitch II... the CRKT Ringed Razel came a close second from the factory..
    yup, arm shave test, unless it's serrated.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I let the customer test the sharpness. when they are speechless or a week later tell me they cut themselves a few times I know I did it right. and really people only need edge pros if they reprofile blades on the regular or have more money than brains.

Have you written a tutorial or something on sharpening? If I can sharpen to a quality that would match the edge pro with just some stones and practice I'm all ears!

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    All depends on what I am going to use the blade for. Hair test is good for small finesse type blades. I do not want larger blades that sharp. That would just make it prone to chipping and rolling. The edge will last longer if you do not sharpen it to much. Again it all depends on what you plan to do with the blade. You going to fillet a fish or baton it through a log? My :twocents: take it for what its worth.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    All depends on what I am going to use the blade for. Hair test is good for small finesse type blades. I do not want larger blades that sharp. That would just make it prone to chipping and rolling. The edge will last longer if you do not sharpen it to much. Again it all depends on what you plan to do with the blade. You going to fillet a fish or baton it through a log? My :twocents: take it for what its worth.

Good point. I'll update my OP to indicate that I'm talking mainly about EDC folding knives.

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    For smaller knives I use the hair removal test also. I like the Lansky kits myself, but as with many things there are usually many correct answers and it boils down to personal preference.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I use a 3 degrees of sharpness scale. I will cut myself and then gauge by my response:

ouch

Ouch!

SH**!

People think I am EMO but really, I just like knives.

Top Bottom