• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I'm just getting started as well. Been picking up factory brass of MY OWN since day 1 when I started shooting. I like knowing that the only brass I have is something I fired so i haven't picked up anyone else's. Granted with pistol loads you don't have to worry much until it splits but I'm trying to control as many variables as possible.

The harder part for me has been finding reliable load data for coated bullets of different weights using certain powders. Also, the OAL issue. Some people say plunk test, some say different OAL based on bullet weight. I'm still not confident enough to even put any powder in a cartridge yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I mostly pick up my own (from factory brass), but I have some oddball calibers that I've had to buy for, like 9mm Largo which I get from Starline brass. Same for 45 colt. I make my own for 30-40 Krag out of .303 British brass (Greek HXP milsurp).

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I get brass any way I can. Some of my calibers I make brass from scrounged stuff like the pile of 30-30 I found in the HNF. Those became 32 Winchester and 32-40

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have always picked up range brass in my 30 years of reloading. I am obviously trying to save money by reloading. Hunting for and finding brass is part of the draw for me.
    When I was in the Army, I ran a lot of ranges. I would have guys save brass cased, Berdan primed brass in 7.62 and 5.56 for me. It would get swapped out for Lake City brass on range days. (The military melted all of it's brass, at that time or auctioned it off. They didn't reload any of it)
    I frequently stop by our department range and pick up brass. 98% of it is once fired, factory ammo. This Spring, I hit it right after a large, neighboring department used our range. I picked up 2,500 pieces of once fired 5.56 brass.
    On just about any given day, I can stop and pick up 500 pieces of .40 S&W or 9mm.
    I occasionally find .45 ACP, .300 B.O., .38/.357 and .308

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I don't pick up most of my brass anymore.
    I used to be one of the biggest brass hoes around.
    And then decided I wasn't going to spend 30 minutes on my hands and knees for $15 worth of brass.
    So when I leave the range, there's usually 300 of once fired 223 and 2 to 300 of 40 or 9 mm twice fired laying on the ground.
    I do pick up my 308 brass and my 45 Auto small primer brass.

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    I have been picking up my brass when I'm alone (maybe another) on the range. I shoot out doors and don't like to hold people up while I look like a chicken pecking for feed. Probably all in my head, I see alot of people do it. Is it a faux pas to pick up brass at an indoor range? I'll shoot at those in the really cold winter.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have been picking up my brass when I'm alone (maybe another) on the range. I shoot out doors and don't like to hold people up while I look like a chicken pecking for feed. Probably all in my head, I see alot of people do it. Is it a faux pas to pick up brass at an indoor range? I'll shoot at those in the really cold winter.

I am by no means an expert since I shoot outdoor at my own range 99.99% of the time but when I went to Point Blank in Carmel with some buddies for a Birthday party the RO was surprised I didn't pick up my brass since he knew I was running reloads. He even made it a point to specifically ask me if I was going to since he saw me running powder coated 9mm.

I told him since I was there with a bunch of people and had a TON of 9mm brass they could keep those.:):

That one experience leads me to believe they don't care but by no means am I an expert.

The other though I have is.....You are renting the lane so if you want to pay rent to pick up your bass you should be able to as long as you are not out past the firing line.:dunno:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I used to pick up whatever brass I could use at the range, but have since started only picking up stuff that other people fire that I see come from the factory packaging. If they don't pick it up themselves I feel safe to assume that they aren't reloaders and the brass is good. I also shoot some oddball stuff that I only feel safe loading from virgin brass that I buy online, like my 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8 that I make from 30 US brass and 300 Blackout Rimmed that I make from 360 Dan Wesson.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Well I know this isn't the place for this but it is along the same lines.

I have a set of dies for 7.62X39 that I am wanting to start playing with. If any of you guys have some boxer primed 7.62X39 that you have picked up hit me up and maybe we can do some horse trading?

I have a Ruger American that I am wanting to play with. this will be my first time with a tapered wall because to date I have only been doing pistol rounds. WISH ME LUCK...

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Catch-all brass catcher, if you can find one saves a lot of bending over to pick up brass. A little hard to get used to but worth it if you want to save on brass purchases. I don't catch all of my brass but don't worry about losing 5 out of 100.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Buy ammo shoot and save the brass. Unless the brass is cheap then I'll buy it.

I've even reloaded aluminum cases. I've gotten 5 reloads before splitting. So I'd say a safe amount would be 4 maximum. Oh and don't reload using +p rating just standard pressure with aluminum cases.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Buy ammo shoot and save the brass. Unless the brass is cheap then I'll buy it.

I've even reloaded aluminum cases. I've gotten 5 reloads before splitting. So I'd say a safe amount would be 4 maximum. Oh and don't reload using +p rating just standard pressure with aluminum cases.

How are you depriming aluminum cases? Boxer is no problem, but Berdan could be a challenge.

Jaygentry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    All methods are fine. Just make sure you look them over. Virgin and once fired are best, but alot of your range brass is once fired, the key is to just inspect it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve got tons of brass. Tons and tons. PM me if you plan on buying. I’ll hook you up at a fraction of the cost of buying at a store.

edit: didn’t realize I’d get a lot of PMs quickly from that. I don’t have thousands of whatever you want for $10! I am not a blowout liquidator. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom