• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • demosthenes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    This may not seem like a thread for a gun forum but bear with me.

My wife and I both work and our daughter goes to school full time. By the time we get home from work we have no ambition for housework, and we're not exactly Mr. and Mrs. clean to begin with. Neither of us are exactly lazy, we both have very demanding full time jobs.

So I'd like to hire a housekeeper, someone to come in once a week for a while and help tidy, sweep, dust, etc. Not a big deal but... The house is full of guns. Yes, most are in safes but the home defense guns are- well, where they're supposed to be! So how do you go about finding someone you can trust to clean your home without a: freaking out about the guns, and b: Understanding how to deal with the ones he/she finds and how to treat them?

Apologies if this subject has been broached before, I have not been able to find it- or if I have not placed this in the appropriate area.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ah. Difficult question. I would start off by using the hierarchy of exclusion. Who can be trusted? Certainly not varelse. I would start by suggesting that any possible candidate be framling.

Sincerely,
    Locke

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't feel like doing housework when I get home either but I do it because paying someone else to clean up my house seems strange to me. Having someone I do not know enter my house seems strange to me.....It's just a chore that needs to be done and I do it..

I noticed that when I just do it daily and not let it build up it gets done pretty quick...We have two homes, one in town and one in the country for weekend shooting and hunting and the thought of anyone (other than ourselves) having access to either home gives me the heebie-jeebies...Just one old guys opinion....

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I used to have my own cleaning company. If you live near Greenfield, maybe we can work something out.
    If not then just find a reputable company near you who's employees have been through thorough background screenings.
    and simply be up front about what you have in your home and what you want accomplished. Be honest and be specific.
    BBB or Angie's list are a couple of good places to start.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well for me it's a combination of requiring they be bonded, having cameras in the house and locking all the firearms not on me or with me in the separately alarmed safe. Wish I knew a better answer, too.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ah. Difficult question. I would start off by using the hierarchy of exclusion. Who can be trusted? Certainly not varelse. I would start by suggesting that any possible candidate be framling.

Sincerely,
    Locke

The framling candidate would probably be the worst choice if he wants to avoid having his guns stolen. On the other hand, the varelse candidate could possibly be just as dishonest.

OP, I've been contemplating this option for many years, but I just could not find anyone. I hardly like having workers in my home who I do not know. That's why everything I have done is by someone I know from INGO, but I doubt you'll find anyone on here to clean your house. You can check with lovemachine, but it's getting cold and he can't drive in the snow.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would install a camera system first, and get comfortable with how to use it. Then start asking people if they know anyone that cleans homes that they know or trust. It seems like there are a lot of stay at home Mom's that have a couple of houses they clean to bring in some extra cash. If you and your wife attend a church, that sometimes is a good place to start.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    There is a lady that we go to church with that not only cleans but helps you with organization. She has her pink slip and carries daily. Send me a PM of your location and if it is close I will ask if she is interested.

demosthenes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    There is a lady that we go to church with that not only cleans but helps you with organization. She has her pink slip and carries daily. Send me a PM of your location and if it is close I will ask if she is interested.

That sounds really good. Lord knows, I could use the help.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Our housekeeper doesn't seem to mind my guns around the house. Than again I don't have a clue what she and her daughter are talking about. We hired them because they also clean our friends house and our friends recommended them.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I used to live in a house that had housecleaning as well as a ton of guns. I remember asking the owner if he was worried and he just said he made sure to lock them up before the people came over.

From a theft standpoint I understand your concerns, however if you're concerned about them "freaking out" I feel like house cleaners have probably seen a lot weirder things than a few firearms. :)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Call Merry Maids or a similar company. They're usually insured and/or bonded and they have many customers, so satisfaction means something to them.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The framling candidate would probably be the worst choice if he wants to avoid having his guns stolen. On the other hand, the varelse candidate could possibly be just as dishonest.

Truly, it is difficult to trust anyone. I suppose it depends where you designate your exclusion criteria between Ramen. Utlanning vs Framling. For example if you are trustworthy and someone was truly framling wouldn't they likewise be trustworthy? Perhaps not.

Top Bottom