• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go to the store. Get a box of Carrol Shelby Chili Mix. Buy the ingredients listed on the back. Follow the directions to cook. Eat. Shelby made the worlds best mustangs and made a mean chili, too. You'll not go wrong with it.

124-Oz.-Original-Texas-Chili~vo.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The recipe is on the back of the box. It's all about a spice blend, tomato sauce and meat. Shelby's is one of the best spice blends on the market.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I was hoping for actual recipes...

2 o' these....
    chili_base_hot-250x250.jpg

5 o' these....
    4F1C441D-6D82-27DC-4B95-B2E6DA596CEA.jpeg

1 o' these....
    REDONION200-2.jpg

3 lb o' this.....
    Ground-Sirloin.jpg

put all'at......in 1 these....
    images

add the meat in'a last hr or so.....venison makes fer some damn good chili...:yesway:

fergot.....

393124560_87a5789fbf_b.jpg

Oh....:rolleyes:
    on'a meat......brown/drain it 1st......

LAST'ly......d'pend'n on how brave ya are......a TOUCH.....o' 1 o these....:rolleyes:

AP_INDIAS_CHILI.jpg

an' I mean.......lightly.....on'at las' 1.........:):

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My wife does all the cooking in the house, and she makes great chili. I know it involves ground beef (browned separately in a skillet), home canned tomatoes and tomato juice, beef broth, red kidney beans, or sometimes canned chili beans (which are in a sauce), chopped onion, chopped green bell peppers and sometimes chopped roasted poblano peppers (we chop and roast the ones we grow for that purpose and they're very good), chili powder, sometimes some ketchup.

I asked her for amounts, but she just makes it up as she goes. She varies it depending on how many she's fixing for and for who.

There was that one time when she used some hot peppers that were reportedly grown in a Guatemalan insane asylum (but my memories of that day are still fuzzy).

Last edited:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    2lbs ground beef

4 cans brocks chili beans (mild)

2 cans Heinz sauce

One saute yellow onion cooked in lots of butter and garlic salt

2 packs chili seasoning, two teaspoons of chili powder +pepper.

Cook up the meat and onion and add all ingredients to crockpot, let sit in fridge for a few days and put on low when you leave for the day, when you come home turn the crockpot off and stir, prep and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce. Don't forget the crackers!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Making chili is really difficult to mess up unless you add way too much of a hot pepper substance. Even then you can usually cut it down by adding more other ingredients. Every time I make it it is different and never by a recipe. Start with meat and chili beans. Beyond that, if it sounds like something that would taste good in chili,go ahead and add it in small increments to taste.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Find a basic recipe and start there, play with it and personalize to suit your tastes. I prefer a milder chili that does not burn going down and with no noodles.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    No real recipes posted thus far... Looks like a bunch of hamburger helper cooks around here. :rolleyes:

Ground beef
    Ground bison
    White onion
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Beer
    Cumin
    Cayenne
    Chile powder (ground up dried and toasted chilies preferably from your own garden)
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Smoked paprika
    Chez's classic Hell Powder
    Vinegar
    Some other stuff...

Combine in proper amounts and in proper order, then never make anything from a box mix again... Ever.

gummergif

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2015
    REDACTED
    image.jpg

To be honest, I like to use very few beans. I also like to use fresh jalepenio, habenero, and bhut jolokia peppers (I usually have to get the bhut jolokia dehydrated, though), dice them up, then add a lot of cheese. Cheese contains dairy, which neutralizes some of the capsacian from the peppers, cooling it down somewhat and letting the flavor of the peppers come through a little more.

But in all honesty, I do like my chili hot enough to clear up a bacterial infection.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No real recipes posted thus far... Looks like a bunch of hamburger helper cooks around here. :rolleyes:

Ground beef
    Ground bison
    White onion
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Beer
    Cumin
    Cayenne
    Chile powder (ground up dried and toasted chilies preferably from your own garden)
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Smoked paprika
    Vinegar
    Some other stuff...

Combine in proper amounts and in proper order, then never make anything from a box mix again... Ever.

That's not a recipe either...just a partial grocery list. :p

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Ground beef
    Ground bison
    White onion
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Beer
    Cumin
    Cayenne
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Smoked paprika
    Vinegar
    Some other stuff...

In addition to Chez's list I have also added:

cheese
    bacon (cook crispy before adding)
    chopped fresh peppers from the garden
    sauteed mushrooms, peppers and onions
    peanut butter (not a huge fan)
    pulled pork
    Chopped cooked chicken
    Chopped browned venison

Really, there isn't much limitation to the ingredient list.

I personally don't do noodles.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I love chili. My dad made the best. When my wife and I were just dating, she invited me over to her parents house to have chili soup. "Chili soup", I thought--that soup part must be a Hoosier suffix term they add on for some reason. Imagine my surprise when I sat down and it was......chili SOUP. Ugh...with noodles and everything (except beans--her brother hates beans). I couldn't put enough crackers into that stuff to even make it look like chili.

:laugh:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Find a basic recipe and start there, play with it and personalize to suit your tastes. I prefer a milder chili that does not burn going down and with no noodles.

That's what I did when I started making chili. I found a couple basic recipes and used what I liked from both and it came out pretty good. I usually let mine simmer in a pot on the stove for 3 - 4 hours. I feel it makes a better broth. My recipe is below, but if you like yours spicy, feel free to add more chili powder, more cayenne pepper, fresh peppers, hot sauce or whatever you like to bring the heat. I serve mine with a little cheddar cheese on top, a few crushed saltines and eat it with a peanut butter and honey sandwich :drool:

My recipe:

1 lb. Hamburger
    1 can Bush's Chili beans in med sauce 16 oz
    2 cans Red Gold tomato sauce 15 oz
    1 can Red Gold Chili ready diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
    1/2 tsp minced onion
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    ground black pepper
    1 Tbsp chili powder or more
    1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp or so of ground cayenne red pepper
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Directions:

Brown the hamburger and drain the grease. Add the tomato sauce and undrained cans of beans and diced tomatoes, then all of the spices. Mix well. Cook on medium heat and let the chili come to a boil, stirring occasionally to keep everything from sticking. After 15 - 30 minutes, reduce heat to med-low and let simmer, again stirring on occasion so nothing sticks. After another 30 minutes or so, reduce to low and continue to simmer, stirring as needed. I let it cook for about 4 hours, which reduces the diced tomatoes almost completely into the sauce and produces a really rich tasting broth.

Top Bottom