How do you pay back an $87,500 student loan with a $22,000 per year job?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd argue that anyone has the potential, and the means, to teach themselves anything that a university could. A degree is only "proof" that you were instructed on the subject.

I could peruse the internet for a week, and at the end of it, I may know how to do just about anything given the proper tools.

I don't need my petty degree in Systems Admin. I learned barely anything from going to college.

However, I'm constantly teaching myself how to do things IT related. All the books are available outside of a college environment, if I'd want to bother with those. But the internet is literally filled with resources and repositories of information and education.
    For sysadmin type work, no argument from me.

My field of study would be a little harder to learn from simply Googling. Mostly due to the hands-on nature and cost of equipment and supplies. Not everyone has electron scanning microscopes and gene sequencing labs in their home. And trust me, working a simulator isn't nearly the same as getting "dirty" in a lab.

On the "not learning anything from college" comment, I am truly sorry. I HATED college, but in retrospect, I learned a GREAT deal. I had a couple of fantastic profs that taught me more than just book learnin'. I also had a few terrible profs that taught me what NOT to do with my life.

But to each their own. Which is why I am glad we all still have a BIT of choice in the direction we choose.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have a degree from Purdue in elementary education. I've never been a teacher. I'm a cop. Been a cop since I graduated college. Had it not been for my college degree I probably wouldn't have gotten the job over the other well qualified applicants during the process I went through. Only difference between them and me was my degree.
    While my degree isn't directly related to law enforcement, indirectly it has helped me tremendously. for me, college was a good decision.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a degree from Purdue in elementary education. I've never been a teacher. I'm a cop. Been a cop since I graduated college. Had it not been for my college degree I probably wouldn't have gotten the job over the other well qualified applicants during the process I went through. Only difference between them and me was my degree.
    While my degree isn't directly related to law enforcement, indirectly it has helped me tremendously. for me, college was a good decision.

From a fellow "have an education degree but haven't ever taught" guy to another... I'd say that your classes have helped you a great deal in "dealing" with people; most of whom probably only operate on a 5th-6th grade level anyhow.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So many things I could say to stir this up but I won't. For some, college is the smart choice, for others it's not...

FWIW, I went to college, I have a very good job because of it. I've done things that I never would have got to do if I hadn't gone to college or didn't have my current job. That being said, my younger brother didn't go to college. His net worth (assets - debt) is north of $1M now and he is 25 years old; every penny earned by tireless work, shear determination, blood, sweat, & tears. Am I jealous of him and the choices he made and where he is at? Sometimes I am, but it wasn't the right path for me. Is he jealous of some of the opportunities I've had in my career? Heck yes he is (he's told me he was). But my chosen path wasn't right for him.

Like I said, college is right for some, but not for others. Whatever choice you make, make sure it is the RIGHT one for you to make a successful career and living wage all the while doing something that will make you happy. It's easy to sit here and armchair quarterback this but we will NEVER agree on things. The fact of the matter is, the job market is a very diverse place, likewise, humans are a very diverse society. It takes all sorts of people to fill all sorts of roles in society to make this world go round. Some of those roles absolutely require higher education and no sane employer would accept somebody without that education even if they were capable of teaching themselves. It would be a HUGE liability. On the other hand, there are jobs that don't require a higher education, but they require a degree to prove that a person is capable of being responsible, learning new things, and sticking to something long enough to achieve the end-goal. And then there are jobs that require nothing more than years of experience and OJT. Of course, unskilled labor at the at the other end of the spectrum from college is always an option for anybody that doesn't fit into any of the above categories.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Same here. People always ask me why I am not practicing law. I tell them I only needed the paper, so I can get to my purpose.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Same here. People always ask me why I am not practicing law. I tell them I only needed the paper, so I can get to my purpose.
    Not only did I get the paper, I got 4 years worth of friendships that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else. The experience in general made me the person I am today. Hail Purdue!

Top Bottom