• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i want to start a build for an ar 15, im most likely going with the .223 round since its the most common and cheapest (i think). where do i start? what brands should i stay away from and what would be the cheapest route?

sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    uuhhh, well considering you want something cheap and in .223...just buy one already made. there's really not much advantage to try and make something great on a cheap budget, when you can buy a dpms lite 16 or sportical for 650-700

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    x2. i was going to build one to try to save some cash, but found that it was cheaper/easier to just buy one off the shelf. there are alot of good deals out there and im sure theres somethin you like out there

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    wow really? all the ones ive seen have been aroung $1k.

the main reason i wanted to build my own was to get the knowledge of builing one so in the future i could build a better one when money is not a factor.

how much more expensive would the 5.56 or 5.45 be?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    where do i start? what brands should i stay away from and what would be the cheapest route?

Have you done a search on this forum yet? Seems like that subject has been addressed in a number of previous threads.

IMO, start with the lower receiver, since that's the only part you have to purchase through a dealer. Then do some homework and decide what configuration you want (i.e. what do you want to do with the gun?) and whose parts you want to use, and start ordering...

As to brand of lower... don't get wrapped around the axle on that one; they pretty much ALL work, provided the holes are the right size and in the right place. Make your selection based on whatever criteria you want - who has the coolest logo, or smoothest finish, or best price. Whatever. I've built on Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Stag, Superior and Olympic. Only one I wasn't happy with was the Superior (it was sold as a "cosmetic blemish" but it also had dimensional issues). You can pick up a DoubleStar or Aero Precision stripped lower from AIM for about $100, and they're close enough you can drive over and get it, which saves you shipping and FFL transfer fees. I haven't personally used either brand, but I hear good things about both.

Finally, let me address a common question about building... doing it yourself won't save you a DIME. What it will do, however, is allow you to 1) assemble the rifle over time rather than dropping a big chunk of change at once, 2) build a configuration not offered as a factory item, and 3) personally ensure the quality of the parts used in the build, and of the build process itself.

good luck!

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I concur, buying one already made is the best way to go cheap. You can however go through the whole build process and buy things a little at a time. You will need a lower either stripped or complete. This is the part of the gun that has the serial numbers on it and if shipped will have to come through a FFL.

I would suggest that you just be patient for a week and go to the Indy 1500 next week and you will be able to price every piece by piece or pick up one complete.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    i ended up gettin the Smith and Wesson M&P15. though not cheap, it was in my budget range and i wanted one. I have owned a bushmaster, colt, and 2 DPMS's before this one. my first AR was a DPMS with an A2 fixed carry handle upper. I think i got it for around 699 at the time

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    how much more expensive would the 5.56 or 5.45 be?

What model AR15 do you want to pattern your gun after? If you are trying to build an M-4 Carbine your costs will be higher than if you are building a plinking gun. If you are building a varmint gun your costs will be higher than if you are building an M-4. All M-4s are chambered for the 5.56, by their very definition. If you are looking to compete in 3 gun matches, then pass up on the mil-spec guns and get a competition gun. Some lower priced plinkers may be chambered for the 223 or the 5.56. Most all the serious accuracy variants are going to be chambered with a a match grade 223 chamber(others will use a Wylde chamber), use a stainless target grade barrel and have an expensive trigger system installed (the trigger alone can cost as much as a fully built standard M-4 lower receiver).

If you are looking for a fun to shoot AR15 at a budget price take a look at something like a standard Olympic Arms Plinker Plus or a DPMS Sportical. They are not 'mil spec' but unless you are some sort of mall ninja it won't matter.

What you need to understand is that AR15s are like LEGOs. You can take them apart and put them together in a dozen different ways. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way but there is personal preference and your personal preferences are going to determine what makes the gun ideal for you.

I have a bunch of them, 2 of each from several different manufacturers and just picked up another last week. None is the same as any other I have and I like them all. My only advice is not to let anyone bully you into an M4 Mil-Spec gun if that is not what you want, but if it is what you want then that's great too. Some people simply live to criticize anyone who doesn't start with an M-4. I dunno why. But if you want the most accuracy then you'll pass up the chrome lined barrel, blah blah blah . . .

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Have you done a search on this forum yet? Seems like that subject has been addressed in a number of previous threads.

IMO, start with the lower receiver, since that's the only part you have to purchase through a dealer. Then do some homework and decide what configuration you want (i.e. what do you want to do with the gun?) and whose parts you want to use, and start ordering...

As to brand of lower... don't get wrapped around the axle on that one; they pretty much ALL work, provided the holes are the right size and in the right place. Make your selection based on whatever criteria you want - who has the coolest logo, or smoothest finish, or best price. Whatever. I've built on Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Stag, Superior and Olympic. Only one I wasn't happy with was the Superior (it was sold as a "cosmetic blemish" but it also had dimensional issues). You can pick up a DoubleStar or Aero Precision stripped lower from AIM for about $100, and they're close enough you can drive over and get it, which saves you shipping and FFL transfer fees. I haven't personally used either brand, but I hear good things about both.

Finally, let me address a common question about building... doing it yourself won't save you a DIME. What it will do, however, is allow you to 1) assemble the rifle over time rather than dropping a big chunk of change at once, 2) build a configuration not offered as a factory item, and 3) personally ensure the quality of the parts used in the build, and of the build process itself.

good luck!

well i just want a good accurate rifle that i can take to the range for target practice and ammo prices wont kill me. home defense also maybe.

the bolded part is also what im looking to do

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Go to AR15.com and read the FAQs. Seriously, this isn't a smart alec answer. You'll learn a lot.

If you do it right, you'll get exactly the configuration you want. You'll learn something. And you can do it cheaper than you can buy something new that's has the same features.

If you watch what you're doing (like you don't order stuff from a bunch of different places and choke on the shipping) you can save about 10% off retail.

terrance250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    IMO building an AR is the way to go if you have a bit of patience. There are some good deals to be had on used & new AR parts if you do a little looking around.

For example, my cheapest build to date using all new parts-

Lower- Stag $105 out the door.
    Upper- Armalite complete A2 20" chrome lined upper with bc/ch $330 shipped (thanksgiving sale last year)
    A2 stock & LPK from J&T at Knob Creek $100
    30 round mag $10

Total- $545.00

Cheapest build with used parts-

Lower- DPMS with a LPK (not installed) $125
    Upper- Rock River 16" CAR with bc/ch $275
    Stock- unknown brand 4 posotion CAR stock $30
    used USGI 30 round mag $5

Total- $435.00

Shopping for deals becomes a funny hobby in itself.:)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    To build mine, I bought a Stag stripped lower on a group buy (80 bucks:-)) and an A2 parts kit from Model1sales.com. I'd recommend buying a single kit all at once for your first one so that you don't miss any small parts. It'd suck to have everything you need for your rifle except a magazine release spring. (not suggesting that you'd do that, only that I might.)
    Anyway, building an AR is pretty simple to do (at least the lower is-the upper was pre-assembled for me) and can really help you get familiar with the way your AR works and feels.

sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    honestly, i think the best ar for the money is a Tactical Carbine from rock river arms. i picked mine up on sale for $875(normally 975ish) and thats with a chrome LINED 16" A4 platform barrel, tactical top, 6 pos. stock, and a hogue pistol grip, which i liked soo much, i sold one to all my friend's with AR's. RRA's CAR tactical is one of the tightest fitting (not sloppy), best shooting Ar's i've ever shot. i think they put a 1 moa garantee on those, too.

Top Bottom