• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    So, I believe in order to be ready for any situation you need to keep some magazines loaded. I am talking about AR mags for this question. I've read all kinds of post about wearing your springs out by storing them loaded and putting stress on the lips of the magazine. Here is my thought...with the dust covers for the magpul magazines it's looks like it actually pushes down on the last round. That to me says the dust cover is hold the tension of the spring and not the lips of the magazine. Any thoughts on this? I'm certainly not trying to say I'm right and everybody else is wrong...looking for honest feedback. Thanks!

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    You have nothing to worry about. Leave the mags loaded. It will not wear out the springs. There are plenty of knowledgable industry people who have stated this. I've left quite a few AR mags fully loaded over the years, and when I shoot them I have no issues whatsoever.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Every mag I own is loaded, always. After a shooting trip, the mags are loaded right after the guns are unloaded from the truck.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    What use is an unloaded Magazine? :dunno:

Just keep them loaded up they will be fine. Don't let the internet tell you otherwise Trust INGO !!!

I have about 25 loaded pmags on top of my safe not considering others laying everywhere.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I keep a number of mags loaded, and then the rest in old cardboard boxes in the basement. I keep enough loaded though to fulfill any SHTF fantasy I can dream up.
    I have no fear of ruining any springs etc, but I just see no reason to keep some mags loaded. I find that I waste too much ammo when I bring full mags to the range too, the loading step is an important step to help my finances.
    I picked up a crapload of G3 mags at .99$ that I see no reason to load up, and I try to keep new inventory on some of my more heavily used rifles just for fun.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Spring wear from being repeatedly worked, ie loaded and unloaded many times. Putting a load on them and leaving the load on does not cause any wear or loss of tension. I keep some loaded but not all just because I see no need to.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I keep six loaded. One in my rifle and the rest on my plate carrier....for the same SHTF scenario that I can dream up. I can hit the ground running and protect my family.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I agree that springs only wear when going from the two states. I wasn't really concerned about that...more the stress it may or may not put on the lips or feed ramps. Seems like a viable worry so that's why I bring it up here while stating what I noticed with the pmag dust cover actually compressing the spring further.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Spring wear from being repeatedly worked, ie loaded and unloaded many times. Putting a load on them and leaving the load on does not cause any wear or loss of tension. I keep some loaded but not all just because I see no need to.

This is correct. Spring wear is from repeated use of loading and unloading.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I agree that springs only wear when going from the two states. I wasn't really concerned about that...more the stress it may or may not put on the lips or feed ramps. Seems like a viable worry so that's why I bring it up here while stating what I noticed with the pmag dust cover actually compressing the spring further.
    What you're talking about is referred to as feed lip splay. Never been much of a problem with quality AR magazines by my reading.

I keep magazines/clips for all of my firearms loaded and stored in various ammunition carriers or ammo cans. Six AK mags in two three pocket surplus pouches on a belt, ten more in a .50 cal can, and one for the rifle. Always keep x number for the bandoleer/cartridge pouches and an extra for the firearm.

As a side note, for charger fed or clip loaded firearms the surplus Mosin Nagant ammo pouches are amazing. I've found they can generally hold six clips of most any cartridge. 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Lebel on three round clips, 7.65 Carcano, .303 British, and 6.5 Dutch (that one is kind of tight). Also holds four chargers of 8x56R. Very versatile. The pleather construction won't corrode the ammo like real leather would.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I keep almost all my mags loaded. I don't keep my bodyguard loaded and I probably don't have all my 1911 mags loaded either.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I keep 15 Pmags loaded in a special ammo can that stores them vertically. All of my pistol mags are loaded too.

Top Bottom