• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Friday I got my propety taxes. My property went down in value 7%. My property taxes went down $4, which is not 7%.

If you have to pay a yearly tax on "your" property, or the government will confiscate it, it's NOT really your property and you DON'T own it.

The term "Property Tax" is one of the most blatant oxymorons I can think of.

So in light of this, trying to make ANY sense of it will more than likely get you a free ticket to the funny farm. LOL

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am guessing the reason for the difference in percentage is because they subtract a "homestead" credit, mortgage credit and a couple of others from the value on your property, so your penalty for living in Indiana is based on the credited amount, hence the difference.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The joy of the alleged 1% cap on "property taxes" is that, if enough of your neighbors vote to raise them via referendum, that portion of the tax is exempt from the "cap".

There's no chance that those who pay no property taxes would vote for "improved" schools, is there :n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The joy of the alleged 1% cap on "property taxes" is that, if enough of your neighbors vote to raise them via referendum, that portion of the tax is exempt from the "cap".

There's no chance that those who pay no property taxes would vote for "improved" schools, is there :n00b:

Who all doesn't pay property taxes?

Probably 99% of Hoosiers do, either directly or indirectly.

-J-

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Let's see, property values have dropped about 30% since all "this" started. At least that's what they have been telling us. So... since property taxes are based on the appraised value of your property our property taxes should have gone down by 30%.:n00b:

SUPPRISE... your property taxes are based on how many leeches there are on welfare, and how much the school corporations feel they want to take from you. Thank you Wayne Township, I have bottomless pockets.:rolleyes:

The appraised value of my home actually went up.:n00b: How that can happen on a home built in 1986 I have NO clue. So of course my taxes went up slightly. The 1% cap is a scam.:xmad:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pay your rent, slaves.

QFT /Thread

OP don't try to understand the "math" that the state/county uses for property taxes. IT IS NOT BASED ON ANY MATH YOU WERE EVER TAUGHT OR WILL BE TAUGHT IN ANY PLACE OF LEARNING.

The formula is actually very simple.
    County needs X money. State gives county Y money. County see it still needs money so your property tax this year is A. Because A + B + C = Z (where B & C is your neighboors tax). & Y + Z = X.

So they just make up your A, B and C to whatever they may need to get to X.

Follow all that? If no, don't worry as rambone said just pay it!
    The welfare mama needs her T-Bone steak come the 1st!
    :xmad:

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    QFT /Thread

OP don't try to understand the "math" that the state/county uses for property taxes. IT IS NOT BASED ON ANY MATH YOU WERE EVER TAUGHT OR WILL BE TAUGHT IN ANY PLACE OF LEARNING.

County needs X money. State gives county Y money. County see it still needs money so your property tax this year is A. Because A + B + C = Z (where B & C is your neighboors tax). & Y + Z = X.

Excellent job on explaining property taxes. However, I think you left out Pi somewhere in there. I'm sure they use 3.14159265 as a multiplier. :D

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ahhh, the old standby, whining about taxes. As old as goverment itself. Funny how no one *****es about how they got $3,500 in rent paid back.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Ahhh, the old standby, whining about taxes. As old as goverment itself. Funny how no one *****es about how they got $3,500 in rent paid back.

All that indicates is that you overpaid all year long. You could have been earning interest on your own money.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    QFT /Thread

THIS^
    I don't know about other counties, but the property value they use for tax purposes in Lawrence County has very little to do with appraised value.
    It's like the square footage multiplied by some mysterious factor that varies with the age of the house on the property with adjustments for acreage, out buildings, paved driveways, and basically any improvement you can think of.
    They come around every few years and creep around on your property and estimate all these figures.
    The they apply a value using what they find with another mysterious formula.

The whole problem is what has already been said earlier.
    If you don't pay they take away your land.
    You are really just leasing land from the government.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Fail. You sir may be content with being bent over year after year as the .gov has it's way with you. I'm not into that, and apparently many others aren't either, so we voice our concerns about the legalized extortion that's been thrust upon us. :twocents:

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    You hit the nail on the head,mine went up 11% and it's the school district!I throught they were cutting back on spending,if that was true our tax's should not of went up.

Top Bottom