How easily accessible should your Back Up Gun be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been trying to find ways to easily, and comfortably, carry a Back Up Gun. I have even researched how others carry their BUG. Some carry their support side, others pocket carry, and some ankle carry.

I know how important it is to be able to access your primary carry gun with either hand. But, for a back up gun, how easily accessible SHOULD it be?

Pocket carry can be troublesome to draw from. Ankle carry can be troublesome to draw with one hand. Carrying 1 gun on your waist is hard enough, let alone 2.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Ideally" it should be very accessible. "Real World" will probably be different.
    No room on my belt for BUG.
    So, it's usually a .357 on the ankle and/or a NAA mini-22 in the pocket for me.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    When needed, I ankle carry a 642 in an ankle glove.
    Although when wearing shorts thing can get a bit exciting!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Either my 642 or 442 in a left pocket holster. There may be circumstances where you need to get to it and fire using only your non dominant hand. Most people consider a backup gun as a secondary gun when your primary either runs dry or if it becomes nonfunctional. Keep in mind that it's very easy for your "backup" to become your "primary". If you are trying to fend off someone who is trying to take your primary or you have to hold them at bay with your dominant hand then you need to be able to use that back up while doing so. Ankle carry makes this near impossible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Either my 642 or 442 in a left pocket holster. There may be circumstances where you need to get to it and fire using only your non dominant hand. Most people consider a backup gun as a secondary gun when your primary either runs dry or if it becomes nonfunctional. Keep in mind that it's very easy for your "backup" to become your "primary". If you are trying to fend off someone who is trying to take your primary or you have to hold them at bay with your dominant hand then you need to be able to use that back up while doing so. Ankle carry makes this near impossible.

True.
    But when in a seatbelt it is accessable, unlike pocket or belt.
    Are there any really any great BUG locations? Seems everything is a compromise.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Locked in the safe is worse

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I always picture most likely scenario to be one of two things...

1) Primary gun malfunctions/ runs dry
    2) You've been overtaken by one or multiple attackers and you're on the ground trying to protect yourself and can't access primary.

In scenario 1 pocket carry or iwb on the weak side is probably best. For scenario 2 you may find yourself on your back with someone on top of you and ankle carry may be an option.

I have not trained for any of these scenarios, so this is all speculative and based on very little real world experience at all. I'm curious to hear from any LEOs or FOF type guys on what they've been taught or teach.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    No matter where you put your BUG I can tell you a scenario where that doesn't work.

carry for comfort and availability, it's better than not having it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I carry my Glock 21 cross draw on my left side, sometimes exposed, in a Blackhawk Serpa. I carry my G30SF on my right side in a leather holster without retention under my shirt/sweater and never exposed. Both guns can use the same extra mag. I want the BUG easily accessible so that if I'm fighting to retain my primary I can draw it with my strong hand and hopefully put a couple shots into the BG's hip, crotch or ribs - whichever is the easiest to hit.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've been off and on about my BUG, somedays, AIWB opposite my primary, somedays ankle carry. Opposite AIWB leaves me looking for a place for my spare mag, ankle carry comes with it's own drawbacks. One day I will figur out the Goldilocks solution, until then...

N R A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    USA
    If it works on one side, it will work as a mirror image, with training.
    15211791874_5042a0fcef_o.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been trying to find ways to easily, and comfortably, carry a Back Up Gun. I have even researched how others carry their BUG. Some carry their support side, others pocket carry, and some ankle carry.

I know how important it is to be able to access your primary carry gun with either hand. But, for a back up gun, how easily accessible SHOULD it be?

Pocket carry can be troublesome to draw from. Ankle carry can be troublesome to draw with one hand. Carrying 1 gun on your waist is hard enough, let alone 2.

I EDC a 1911 and spare mags with arguably the best available belt and kydex. Adding a second gun in an OWB, behind my mag carrier, was surprisingly less than obnoxious. To qualify my answer, I didn't run that gear beyond BUG training day. While I want to be ready to responsibly carry the BUG at any time, I'm still not convinced I need to.

I intend to have amhenry make me a LH OWB holster for my J-frame .357. It will be my BUG if necessary, but moreover the primary in certain perhaps daily circumstances. The idea is to make the wheel gun my routine left hand gun and to master shooting it weak hand only.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry it such a manner as that its easy to get to when my primary is not. Sitting and seat belted in, for example. With this, you can cover weaknesses for your primary and have better odds during any encounter. I do not carry my BUG with the primary goal of being to replace my primary, I carry it with the primary goal of being an alternative. Although I will add that I do know of at least two incidents off the top of my head where a gun was disabled by a bullet striking it early in a fight. In that case, a BUG would be very welcome if you had the time to get to it.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    . Although I will add that I do know of at least two incidents off the top of my head where a gun was disabled by a bullet striking it early in a fight. In that case, a BUG would be very welcome if you had the time to get to it.

I've started carrying a BUG for a lot of reasons, but I had overlooked this one. Good input!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Here is a thought process that might help:

1. When, and under what circumstances, might you need your second (or third) weapon?
    2. How important under those circumstances will it be to access it quickly?

Top Bottom