• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I shot out to 600 yds accurately with an M16A2 back in the day shooting the Wilson matches at Camp Robinson in Little Rock, AR. I don't believe I can do that anymore, but other than maybe an NRA Highpower match at Camp Atterbury (they still do that?), I don't know where I could find out.
    The skill set may need to have the rust knocked off, but I'm sure you can still hit those 600 yd. targets with an AR.

You can find out right here ... CIHPRS - CIHPRS Home

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    600 was very doable when I was younger with an old military issue rifle.
    60' pushes my old eyes these days for pinpoint accuracy.
    I think proficiency with the irons is a must have skill. Scopes are mean bastards that have their place.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My dad and I both got into firearms around the same time, i.e. the end of 2008. However, he likes a good scope on his rifles and I prefer iron sights. I have a 10/22 and a Marlin Lever Action that feel so "natural" in my hands as opposed to some of the scoped firearms he owns. My skills with a long gun are nonexistent and I want to work on developing them with consistent practice. He is taking the viewpoint that a person will always need a good scope at medium to longer distances. If I practice my skills, what are the ranges I can expect with iron sights? I have excellent vision so I don't anticipate needing a scope due to eyesight issues. For those of you who like iron sights, how far do you shoot before needing an optic? Thanks, :ingo:!

All depends! What are you intending to use your rifle for? If I were hunting game, (when I had (young) good eyesight) I would not have taken a shot over 3-400 yard with Irons due to the possibility of wounding an animal! There is absolutely no honest person that will tell you that you are as accurate with Iron at distances over 300 yr as you are with a magnified scope! Even at shorter ranges <100 yard a scope is more accurate!

I have been shooting for about 60 years, in the 1950's I hunted squirrel with 22's, I couldn't afford my own rifle but a very nice gentleman loaned me one that had a scope (old bolt action Mossberg), I also used a Remington semi-auto at times. Even with more than perfect eyesight (tested that I could see at 40 ~ 50 ft was what was 20' standard), I was slightly more accurate with the scope.

If you are intending to compete with target at 500+ yards I would definitely start and learn with a scope. If you just like to shoot metal and like the Irons, fine! I collect firearm and shoot most of them, at my current age of 77 I have converted many of my rifles to scopes.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My dad and I both got into firearms around the same time, i.e. the end of 2008. However, he likes a good scope on his rifles and I prefer iron sights. I have a 10/22 and a Marlin Lever Action that feel so "natural" in my hands as opposed to some of the scoped firearms he owns. My skills with a long gun are nonexistent and I want to work on developing them with consistent practice. He is taking the viewpoint that a person will always need a good scope at medium to longer distances. If I practice my skills, what are the ranges I can expect with iron sights? I have excellent vision so I don't anticipate needing a scope due to eyesight issues. For those of you who like iron sights, how far do you shoot before needing an optic? Thanks, :ingo:!

A lot of responses are based on shooting a well defined target on a sunny day across an open field with an almost endless amount of prep time.

For hunting, take your open sight gun to the woods and shoot at a brown target from 100 yards in the final moments of daylight. Then repeat with a scoped gun, and decide for yourself.

Last week I shot a match with white targets on desert sand with a mix of sagebrush. There were no open sight guns there.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

75 yards.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    We were pinging a half size steel buffalo with our .22 lever guns at the last Cowboy shoot at Paradise Pass. Almost every shot was a hit. 18 inch steel circle at 200 was almost easy.

Last edited:

Jacky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    South Central IN
    I’m another iron sight guy. I have a government model scope that I got with my M1A and I expect it’s the best scope I’ll ever have, and I’ve used it only a handful of times. It works and works well, but I do just as well with my irons at any yardage. IMO using less equipment means developing a dependency on less equipment and that’s a good thing.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I’m another iron sight guy. I have a government model scope that I got with my M1A and I expect it’s the best scope I’ll ever have, and I’ve used it only a handful of times. It works and works well, but I do just as well with my irons at any yardage. IMO using less equipment means developing a dependency on less equipment and that’s a good thing.

I must disagree...

fOm3YhF.jpg

.....plus I might have some more rail space left... and that's a good thing.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside

I was an iron sight guy too until I hit my mid 50s. When you can’t see a man size target at 300 yds, you can’t hit it!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I must disagree...

fOm3YhF.jpg

.....plus I might have some more rail space left... and that's a good thing.

Ok. I know I am pretty ignorant, but how else can I resolve that but ask? What is the thing in front of the scope? Also, how far can you carry that before you have to set it down and rest?

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Like others have said - regularly, successfully hit man-sized targets at 500 meters with iron sights. It's a technique that can be fairly easily taught. Thousands of marines learn it every year.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I plan to shoot a match in November using my "service rifle class" iron sighted Colt AR15. I did OK last year out to 400 yards. I've added a BJones lens into the rear sight leaf this year. I need to test it out somewhere before the match.

AR-15 BJONESSIGHTS

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Where I shoot we can go to about 400yrds, we shoot at a man sized steel head and torso. Saturday we were ringing steel at 200 yrds with M1's no problem.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom