• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    what's your actual rate? say, how long does it take you to press 100 rnds?
    all case prep - tumbling, trimming, inspection, assume all that is done already.
    i'm talking purely your rate at the press. post your actual, or estimated time to do 100 rnds of your choosing. post your caliber and equipment.
    i know the -advertised rates- of machines, but its not practical or accurate.

for instance, my press is advertised at 500-600rnds per hour, thats not practical.
    i timed myself pressing 100 .40 rounds on my Dillon 550B. 16 mins, not including the time to insert new primers, or beer breaks. I was lucky not to have any foul-ups or malfunctions, however my press does have a few issues.

dg101win

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    North Central In.
    One time with my Dillon 550 I actually did 500 rounds of 9mm in one hour.
    I started with primers in the machine and 4 primer pickup tubes full ready to go.
    That was just a one time trial,I never go that fast anymore.

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    For me probably between 150 - 200 an hour for pistol, 50-75 for 2.23. What slows me down quite a bit on pistol is I de-prime & resize, then ultrasonic clean before they get to the progressive press.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Once upon a time I was going to meet my buddy at the range, and discovered I was out of .45ACP. Put together 200 rounds in a little better than 1/2 hour if I remember right. That was on a 550, and included filling the primer tubes.

As a rule tho I'm much more relaxed about it.
    I enjoy reloading...why rush?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've often wondered what full speed could be.

I'll sit down and turn out 100-200 rds in a sitting which can be anywhere from 20 min to an hour.

I use a hornady progressive press. If I just sat and cranked em out without qc, I'm sure 400/hr or more is very doable.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Just the other night I spent what ended up being 38 minutes, depriming, priming, lubing, and resizing a total of 115 .223 cases on my lee classic turret.

I learned my lesson early on about going too fast or being in a hurry.

I can/do move a little faster on my Pro1k, but I take my time on each stroke to "feel" the function....probably could average 175-200 in a hour but I usually dont load that much at a time.

It my Leisure hobby(low stress) so I usually only load 100ish rounds in a couple hours between all the reading, thinking, planning, logging, breaks, etc.

God bless
    -Shred

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I don't get in any races when I'm reloading. It's very relaxing and a piddly thing for me to do, not srs bsns. I probably reload 50 a hour on my old single stage press.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Just for grins I wanted to see what I could do which was just over 400 an hour but I find 300 an a hour a very comfortable pace for handgun ammo. rifle is much less

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i dont really count how many i load but on my pro 1000 I have been up in the 500 /hr for 9mm but i generally dont load that fast. My average is probly more in the 3-400/hr range. For .223 its quite a bit slower but i still get around 200-300/hr with the fastest i have ever done being up around 400/hr. Im not in a race to do it either. I normally run as the pace that the press wants to at that day and still have no foul ups.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I had my wife time me one time and, moving at my normal pace, I loaded 175 rounds of 9mm on a Lee Classic Turret, in one hour.

When I'm loading rifle cases, the real WORK of "reloading" is in the case prep. Trying to set that time aside and then calculating how long it takes to drop powder charges and seat bullets would be of little importance in the way I reload. Prep your cases right and any monkey can weigh/charge powder and seat bullets.

Overall, I don't really care about speed. I also don't calculate my catch-rate-per-hour when I go fishing and I've never timed myself while taking a nap in the shade. I don't know how long it takes me to reload...all I know is that I'm usually done sooner than I would like. ;)

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I don't get in any races when I'm reloading. It's very relaxing and a piddly thing for me to do, not srs bsns. I probably reload 50 a hour on my old single stage press.
    I probably do 50, .223 rounds in 1 1/2 hours from de-cap to crimp and 50 an hour for pistol rounds on my Lyman Orange Crusher.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I am turtle slow when it comes to reloading. I measure every single charge to make sure they are all the same. I never watch TV and reload at the same time, too much distractions.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    After I had my 650 w/ case feeder set up for 9 for awhile. I decided to time myself on how long it took to run 100rds. After filling the primer tube. I did 100 in just under 8 minutes. 7:52 or something like that. I watched my RCBS powder check the entire time and case gauged all the rounds after I was done. They all shot fine. But I was starting to work up a sweat and wouldn't consider that sustainable or enjoyable. I usually take about twice that long which is still 300 to 400 an hour.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    300-400 per hour for handgun on a Dillon 550b. Rifle cartridges are a bit slower, more like 150-200 per hour. It's definitely possible to go faster, but you really have to get with it.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Only been reloading a couple of months with a Rockchucker single stage. The best I've done is 100 9mm in an hour. Last night I did 150 .223 in an hour but those were already sized and deprimed.

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I'm with dtkw, I don't speed through it and I measure every single round. I'm sure I don't need to be doing this anymore since my powder dispenser seems to be measuring accurately. Granted, me speed throughing anything on a Lee Anniversary single stage reloader is a little ridiculous so I'm looking at a little less than 100 an hour.

Top Bottom