• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I can either take cash or a Savage model 93R17 Hmr for a bow I made (worth 200). What should I do? I just got my 10/22 set up nicely and I know I am going to get a Savage .270 model 110 for christmas so im not gun poor. Im not in dire straights for money right now but money is always nice. Is the savage .17 worth the 200? Im going over to talk to the guy tomorrow so suggestions are needed quickly. Thanks guys.

skier11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Bainbridge
    I've got a remington .17 hmr. and love it. If you made the bow......What are you really out? ....Take the savage. It should be a tack driver!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I can either take cash or a Savage model 93R17 Hmr for a bow I made (worth 200). What should I do? I just got my 10/22 set up nicely and I know I am going to get a Savage .270 model 110 for christmas so im not gun poor. Im not in dire straights for money right now but money is always nice. Is the savage .17 worth the 200? Im going over to talk to the guy tomorrow so suggestions are needed quickly. Thanks guys.

My wife had a 93R17, wood stock, bull barrel. It was a lot of fun. She sighted it in at 100 yards, anywhere from 25 yards out to 100 the bullet would never be more than 1/2" high or low. Shot flat as a pancake. It's a quiet round, with no recoil.

Cathy got a real kick out of her ability to shoot 3/4" groups repeatedly at 100 yards. She traded hers to get me a handgun, and I think she's kind of hoping for a new one for anniversary or Christmas.

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I'm going to trade my bow no matter what. I just didnt know if the .17 was worth taking instead of the 200 bucks.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have the same rifle and it shoots great seems like a fair trade. After adding the scope bipod and trigger job you have as much in the gun as the gun its self but still well worth it.Hope this answers your question you will enjoy it if you make the deal. IMO.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    The 17 HMR is a sweet, sweet rifle for the price. I traded for one a few weeks back and I do not regret it. Ammo is relatively cheap for the quality you get. I wanted one primarily to kill off any squirrel around the house since they like to chew on cables on the vehicles.

Needless to say I've already sent 7 packing. Like Joe said, set at 100 yards and you're golden.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    thought you had already promised her one? i may be wrong but i recall somewhere you said that you had promised her a gun, and i think it was this one, but i cannot quite recall.

She is, in fact, promised the next gun we actually buy. It's not going to be a rifle though. I was planning on getting her the LCP after we handled it and we both liked it. I'm pretty darned certain that choice changed today, though, after we got our hands on a Sig P238 at the Lafayette gun show. That little thing felt like a dream to both of us. Little harder to deep conceal, which is the point of getting her such a little gun, but I think still perfectly doable. Harder on the budget, though... that'll be tougher, but I'm thinking it's worth it. She REALLY liked the feel of that little Sig, as did I. We both also like the fact that it has actual sights...

To get back on topic, I'm planning on getting her a rifle, also. I've also considered the .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, or another .32-20. But I'm leaning hard towards just getting another .17HMR. It does everything she wants, and is actually better suited to small game hunting. Ammo is reasonably priced now, much cheaper than it was when we first bought her .17, and it's been available in the stores even throughout the "shortage." The choice is liable to be between another Savage, and a CZ.

Our budget is limited. New guns just don't happen here every month :(

Last edited:

msgro22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    eastside of indy
    i have this gun... sweet fun. i bought it new at dicks for 279.. thats with the 100 dollars off. it also came with the scope. its dead on at 100 yrd. but the realy fun is at 300 yrd groups of 4 inches no great but funnnn..... rounds are not bad 50 rounds = 12.99 gander mtn.. take the gun and have some fun..

Top Bottom