• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use that, I am buying it for a third party in my family... like one of my sons, dad, sister or so on..... It makes throwing out a really low offer very easy...

Yep, and for those times that it is an item for the other person, I tell the third party up front, we may get this, we may not, be ready to walk away this time.
    I have no problem telling folks that this is not something I want, it's for another person, and if we walk away, I consider it a win, as I didn't spend anything.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't even try. If its listed at a price I'm willing to pay I buy. If it's not listed at a price I'm willing to pay I move on.
    There's definitely times when it is appropriate and when it's not. Also, as you say, a big part of purchasing is knowing in advance what something is worth to you and what you will pay for it. If it's there already, then make the deal. If it's close and appropriate to negotiate, then I will. If something isn't even close, I walk as we won't likely get to where it needs to be.

I intensely dislike the apparently-required haggling with a car salesman. Last deal we did took 2 days and if the wife hadn't wanted the damned thing so badly it wouldn't have happened. Actually told the salesman on the phone he had become a nuisance and not to call back. But.........if momma ain't happy...........

As someone else said, there are different ways to do this (email, many dealerships have internet sales folks, etc). Also, my wife has enough confidence now that she knows I'll eventually come back with what she is after. She doesn't get in a tizzy too often these days to get that specific one at that specific time if the deal is not right. I've also been known to walk away from sales people who are a nuisance and buy from someone else for close to the same terms, etc because they are not a nuisance, and provide good customer service.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Being in sales, I like to negotiate vs "haggle", lol.

Kidding aside, I will work to get a better price if I think the item is priced a little high and the seller has room to move. I won't however lose a purchase because I asked for a price reduction when the seller has other folks lined up to buy it at asking price because he/she priced it at fair market value.

The other day I was selling a rug on FB Marketplace (never again will I do that!), I was asking $20 for a 8 X 12 rug with a pad. The rug was a $200 rug and the pad another $60-70. Some lady offered me $10 for it. I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with that kind of business. It was easy enough for me to type "No" and I sold it to the next person but at that point I didn't want to sell it to her even if she did come back and offer the full $20.

I have sold stuff here and in most cases, the buyer said "I'll take it." I think this is because I list at or below market and informed folks don't want to lose a sale haggling over a few bucks.

BTW, there is a saying in sales that "he who mentions price first loses."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am not at all good at haggling mainly because I hate to do it.

However, I have a budget. If it's in budget. Deal. I don't care if I could have gotten it for a few shekels less. If it's not in my predetermined budget, easy to walk away.

Last edited:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Good and bad at it all at the same time. Usually with vehicles, cars, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles etc. This is what you want for it, this is what I'm willing to pay, the middle is usually pretty fair for both of us if it works great if not I walk. No, I will not come
    back and see if you can beat the price from another dealer. If they beat you, they beat you. I have better things to do than run back and forth between dealerships like a kid hearing "go ask your dad", "go ask your mom" when they want something. Like has been said, I try to stay out of the "I need what they are selling more than they need to sell it" category.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No, I will not come
    back and see if you can beat the price from another dealer. If they beat you, they beat you. I have better things to do than run back and forth between dealerships like a kid hearing "go ask your dad", "go ask your mom" when they want something.

I have purchased a few new cars and I am the same way. I let the salesperson know up front that I will take their deal and shop it at another dealership and if that other dealership beats his price, I will buy it there.

If I have a preference for a particular dealer (say my local one), I will shop dealers elsewhere first and then my preference last. If they don't meet or beat my next lowest price, at that point I will ask them to meet it.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I intensely dislike the apparently-required haggling with a car salesman. Last deal we did took 2 days and if the wife hadn't wanted the damned thing so badly it wouldn't have happened. Actually told the salesman on the phone he had become a nuisance and not to call back. But.........if momma ain't happy...........

I think car salesman are the easiest to haggle with. It's so easy with my go-to dealer. They already know my income and credit score, so they know I will buy when the price is right, and it's going to be an easy, no-hassle sale. A couple times, I didn't even have to negotiate, because they came back with a price that was even lower than I was going to offer, and much lower than sticker. :D One time, I brought my daughter in to buy a car. She had $3500 to spend, and we were looking at a $3800 car. She wanted it, so I started low, and offered $2800. They accepted it. She walked out very happy, and I walked out feeling like I should have offered $2500. :facepalm: They might have done that as a gift, because I've bought several cars from them. I'm sure they still made money anyways.

Car dealers are easy. I've found that gun owners are the hardest to haggle with. They can either buy the gun you're selling elsewhere for cheaper (well do that then), or they're figuring the cost of transfer fees and sales tax into the price of the gun they're selling. Not to mention the other ridiculous demands they sometimes have.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's haggling to buy/sell and there's haggling for fun. The former I'll do the latter is a time waster. I've run into a lot of people over the years that weren't really buying or selling, they just wanted to haggle.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    There's haggling to buy/sell and there's haggling for fun. The former I'll do the latter is a time waster. I've run into a lot of people over the years that weren't really buying or selling, they just wanted to haggle.

I had that happen once. I was selling a .22 rifle for cheap. I dropped my price a bit after some back-and-forth. He showed up for the meet, didn't seem very interested, and declined. He then asked me for advice on where he and his wife (who was in the car with him) could find a good local place for dinner. I directed him to the ****tiest place in the area.
    :evilangel:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I made a purchase today. Two slings at a price I thought was excellent. I didn't even think about haggling. Six minutes after he posted the ad, I said "I'll take them". As far as I'm concerned it was a good price, and I saw no point in jeopardizing my chance trying to save a couple bucks. Tripping over dimes trying to save a nickel is what that is.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I generally just look for the price I'm willing to pay. I'm currently truck shopping (but not exactly ready to buy) and taking notes on what some trucks are going for and who seems to be offering better deals. I don't think I've ever haggled a vehicle price. I believe I did haggle my boat cost when I bought it though.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I’d say I’m not much of a haggler. If I’m buying a vehicle, I’ve researched reasonable prices and lay it out from the start what I’ll pay. If the dealer wants to start the dance, I’ll just go somewhere else.

I never negotiate services... it is either acceptable or not. I feel like, for the most part, any amount you think you have talked someone down is coming out of the quality bucket.

I do not live in Indiana now, so I’m not in the classifieds like the past. My one negative feedback came from a person who thought that they were negotiating the price of some mags I had for sale, though. I priced them well and had five private messages on them. A butt hurt guy left me a negative because he thought a “PM sent post” with a crappy offer reserved his place in line. That is not negotiating, and I hate that crap.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’d say I’m not much of a haggler. If I’m buying a vehicle, I’ve researched reasonable prices and lay it out from the start what I’ll pay. If the dealer wants to start the dance, I’ll just go somewhere else.

I never negotiate services... it is either acceptable or not. I feel like, for the most part, any amount you think you have talked someone down is coming out of the quality bucket.

I do not live in Indiana now, so I’m not in the classifieds like the past. My one negative feedback came from a person who thought that they were negotiating the price of some mags I had for sale, though. I priced them well and had five private messages on them. A butt hurt guy left me a negative because he thought a “PM sent post” with a crappy offer reserved his place in line. That is not negotiating, and I hate that crap.

Agree. It does not work that way with me. If you offer less than asking price, you just opened yourself up for losing out. I hope for your sake the potential money saved was with the risk of losing out completely. Even if I don't have multiple offers lined up, if it's a new listing, I'm going to sit on it to see what else comes in. And that's only if your offer is something I'd consider.

If it's not, I won't leave you hanging though. You will get a polite no thank you. But no counter offer if yours is ridiculous. I don't have time for that.

This is all part of the"dance" for me. Know what you'll pay, know the market and demand for that item and decide quickly.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When I am selling and someone starts offering lower and I started right, the price goes up.

Buying, I'll make an offer and if the answer is no and seller can show me more value than I see, I can be swayed.

Top Bottom