• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I had Mr88GT swap out the bad control arms.

Here is a representative sample of what was removed.

Note the ability to see daylight through the control arm in this picture.
    IMG_1081_zpse3c293f1.jpg

Side 1:
    IMG_1082_zps44925145.jpg

Side 2:
    IMG_1083_zps58e3d22d.jpg

Yikes!!!!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For those of us who don't know anything about vehicles... explain this to me like I am five.

Important suspension component that keeps the wheel where it's supposed to be is rusted through. Failure could be catastrophic.

Remember how the wheels on the DeLorean folded under in Back to the Future II? Think that, but without the ability to fly.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Important suspension component that keeps the wheel where it's supposed to be is rusted through. Failure could be catastrophic.

Remember how the wheels on the DeLorean folded under in Back to the Future II? Think that, but without the ability to fly.

I mean... how many wheels do you really need? :dunno:

Kidding. Gotcha. Crucial part of holding wheels where they're supposed to be.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Well, if you are going fast enough and hit an embankment while careening off the road you might get some air.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    When the Olds Delta 88 doing 60 mph in front of me had one front wheel turn 90 degrees left and the other 90 degrees right, It slid to a stop faster that it would have with both feet on the brakes. It stopped much faster than I could and I was sideways twice (once each way!) avoiding it. Perhaps the danger was more to the public at large than it was to you.

At any rate, soon enough is soon enough. No harm, no foul. That sick heavy feeling is your belly is only an emotional reaction to the perceived danger. In reality, a miss is as good as a mile! So, jump right back into that trap and HAMMER DOWN!!! (what, do ya wanna live forever?)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I had one of those. The spark plugs are a nightmare to replace as well. I hope you don't need them replaced anytime soon. I also had to pull the entire dash to replace the $30 blend air door so the AC would blow cold air in the front. I found out that the dealer will do it for around $600 dollars, but they call it rolling the dash. I think the plugs are $350-450 to change. The Expedition left with my ex-wife and I don't miss either.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Looks like Mr. 88GT saved your life. I hope you showed your appreciation by making him a Bacon Sammich!!:bacondance:
    Glad this had a good and safe ending:yesway:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Meh, plenty of life left in those control arms, there's only a 'slight bit' of rust there...

Well, because most of the rust is missing! :lmfao:

:+1: on changing them out for safety's sake. And glad to 'hear' ya found and fixed 'em before anything serious happened. Can't have ya gettin' hurt in an accident! :yesway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I had one of those. The spark plugs are a nightmare to replace as well. I hope you don't need them replaced anytime soon. I also had to pull the entire dash to replace the $30 blend air door so the AC would blow cold air in the front. I found out that the dealer will do it for around $600 dollars, but they call it rolling the dash. I think the plugs are $350-450 to change. The Expedition left with my ex-wife and I don't miss either.
    Can't wait to get rid of it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, to be fair, the rust is not in the area that experiences most of the compression and tension but the web in between and probably not experience imminent failure. Replacement is necessary when you see that much rust though.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I knew it was a Ford product immediately. It's not the only Fomoco vehicle with rust issues on the suspension. I HAD an '06 F150 that the shackle brackets holding the rear leaf springs in place rusted out on the r. rear. I bought both rear brackets and was told it's a common fail in our area.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    When the Olds Delta 88 doing 60 mph in front of me had one front wheel turn 90 degrees left and the other 90 degrees right, It slid to a stop faster that it would have with both feet on the brakes. It stopped much faster than I could and I was sideways twice (once each way!) avoiding it. Perhaps the danger was more to the public at large than it was to you.

At any rate, soon enough is soon enough. No harm, no foul. That sick heavy feeling is your belly is only an emotional reaction to the perceived danger. In reality, a miss is as good as a mile! So, jump right back into that trap and HAMMER DOWN!!! (what, do ya wanna live forever?)

The delta 88 front wheel rearrangement sounds more like snapped tie rods than busted control arm. While they both are very bad problems, I would not want have a control arm foldup while driving 55mph+. Control arm folds up....stabilizer link snaps...then that sides tie rod snaps. Wooohooo what a ride that will be until "you" find a tree or telephone or someone elses vehicle. :noway:

Top Bottom