• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a low budget 1911. I have 20k round threw it. I do regular PM. Any gun can have a failure as the article pointed out. Interesting article.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I recently was contemplating making a 1911 my HD gun since I need a handgun with a metal frame but more and more I see and hear well known and train individuals shining away from it, the main reason is capacity and for me I would rather have the extra ammo and not needed rather than not having it when you most needed. With that said I do like the 1911 and just finish mine and still think that is a very elegant weapon with rich history that has a very special place for me since it was my grandfathers choice side arm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's a pretty good read. I've been kind of wandering around the issue myself. I started with 1911s years ago, then decided my daily carry would be CZs. I fell for CZs enough that I decided it was the family standard handgun and bought one for each family member. They are great guns and it's still the standard, but I personally strayed to a Glock 23 last spring. Now, I find myself back in the 1911 fold, but really still enjoy all three platforms. The thing I really liked about the Glock was having a gun that I did not worry about damaging. I recently decided I needed the same thing out of a 1911 and now carry a gun that I really don't care if it gets scratched. In fact, I hope to someday look at this newcomer and see years of wear and use. If I look at this gun in 10 years and it looks as pristine then as it does today, then I've failed. This gun is intended to be like my old 88 BMW E30 daily driver. It's going to be maintained as an uber reliable daily use tool and nothing more.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The only thing about these sort of articles, whether it is Yeager's famous '1911's Suck' video or this piece, is the constant reference to failures but nobody ever discloses just exactly what failures they were. I know many guys that shoot 1911-pattern pistols from many different manufacturers and the only real failure I've witnessed is generally ammo related. The gun won't chamber the next round due to something being out of spec on the round itself over an actual failure of the gun. It's been consistent across the board from all different manufacturers and nearly every time it has been reloads over factory. I want to know what failures all the trainers and shooters have witnessed no matter what gun or model. Was it a parts failure, was the part factory or aftermarket. So many factors, almost too many, to say that "I've seen X-Gun fail so I will not carry it or use it" without knowing just exactly what failed.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The only thing about these sort of articles, whether it is Yeager's famous '1911's Suck' video or this piece, is the constant reference to failures but nobody ever discloses just exactly what failures they were. I know many guys that shoot 1911-pattern pistols from many different manufacturers and the only real failure I've witnessed is generally ammo related. The gun won't chamber the next round due to something being out of spec on the round itself over an actual failure of the gun. It's been consistent across the board from all different manufacturers and nearly every time it has been reloads over factory. I want to know what failures all the trainers and shooters have witnessed no matter what gun or model. Was it a parts failure, was the part factory or aftermarket. So many factors, almost too many, to say that "I've seen X-Gun fail so I will not carry it or use it" without knowing just exactly what failed.

[h=2]Springfield/Warren 9mm 1911 50k Report[/h] 4-Sep-13 – 09:19 by ToddG
    50,286 rounds14 stoppages0 malfunctions4 parts breakages
    With fifty thousand rounds downrange and on the books, what is the no holds barred assessment of the SACS/Warren 9mm?

You can't say that about this article. Todd documents everything.pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » Springfield/Warren 9mm 1911 50k Report

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You mean all guns will eventually fail if you run them hard enough? So there is no magic infallible gun? Crap.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The only 1911 worrying I do is over which one to carry and which grips match my shoes.

I hope jetgirl doesn't get upset over me sharing this.

Many of you may not realize that this scene from Boondock Saints II was based upon an actual event that took place at a gun store up north when jetgirl was purchasing a 1911....

[video=youtube;b9XvbMoyLGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XvbMoyLGQ[/video]

What's funny is that jetgirl actually said the line "I want an OompaLoompa now Daddy" but the director felt it sounded better coming from one of the Saints rather than the character "Romeo" who they gave jetgirls lines too.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Many of you may not realize that this scene from Boondock Saints II was based upon an actual event that took place at a gun store up north when jetgirl was purchasing a 1911....

What's funny is that jetgirl actually said the line "I want an OompaLoompa now Daddy" but the director felt it sounded better coming from one of the Saints rather than the character "Romeo" who they gave jetgirls lines too.

OMG that's funny! lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Now that is some seriously funny **** right there.

Top Bottom