• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    The only thing about these sort of articles, whether it is Yeager's famous '1911's Suck' video or this piece, is the constant reference to failures but nobody ever discloses just exactly what failures they were. I know many guys that shoot 1911-pattern pistols from many different manufacturers and the only real failure I've witnessed is generally ammo related. The gun won't chamber the next round due to something being out of spec on the round itself over an actual failure of the gun. It's been consistent across the board from all different manufacturers and nearly every time it has been reloads over factory. I want to know what failures all the trainers and shooters have witnessed no matter what gun or model. Was it a parts failure, was the part factory or aftermarket. So many factors, almost too many, to say that "I've seen X-Gun fail so I will not carry it or use it" without knowing just exactly what failed.
    Why the M-1911 does not work

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Not to dampen the mood of the party, as I too am a 1911 lover (and owner of more than one), but I should think that test should have been conducted with the preferred caliber of the 1911, the .45 ACP. The 9mm is a bit light (now those of you who love and swear by the 9mm, I'm not criticizing you) for the platform. I should think that test would have been more "realistic" with the nominal caliber of the platform.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bravo Sierra........

I own/have owned...more than I can count from memory. Customize them myself these days and never have much of an issue. Had 2 in my lifetime that gave me any real grief and 1 was my own fault...1 was poor quality control from the factory. Hardly the fault of the design.

Last edited:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I am quit content with a 1911 for HD. Yes, my single stack is limited is 8 rds, but its what I am comfortable with. But then again there is a usually a Beretta with 15 rds laying next to it. I have had zero issues with my 1911. There could be a failure but I figure that is the case with any firearm. Maybe I am naive, but that's what I am good with.

Top Bottom