• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought a FN FNX-9 to use in IDPA and USPSA. It is capable of Cocked and locked. Not sure if I should shoot the first round cocked and locked or double action. Maybe I can hear from some of the guys that have done it both ways and the pro's and con's of each. Thanks Jim

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just bought a FN FNX-9 to use in IDPA and USPSA. It is capable of Cocked and locked. Not sure if I should shoot the first round cocked and locked or double action. Maybe I can hear from some of the guys that have done it both ways and the pro's and con's of each. Thanks Jim

If you don't mind only loading 10 rounds in your mags, you can shoot in Production Division, starting with the hammer down. You can shoot in Limited, Limited 10, or Open Divisions starting cocked and locked.

The only downside of shooting Limited or Limited 10 is that you'll be scored minor power factor. That doesn't bother me. I'd rather have the rounds and have more fun shooting in Limited or Open.

In IDPA, you'd be hammer down in Stock Service Pistol, but you can shoot in Enhanced Service Pistol with the hammer cocked and locked. No penalty for 9mm in either.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks Guys! I was thinking about the same thing Rhino. I think it would be more fun with the extra rounds and just go shoot. In IDPA I think I will start DA and shoot in SSP. I was kinda looking for an answer also in the difference of taking a safety of and shooting SA or just shoot DA first shot. You know what is cool is I have options. Thanks Jim

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks Guys! I was thinking about the same thing Rhino. I think it would be more fun with the extra rounds and just go shoot. In IDPA I think I will start DA and shoot in SSP. I was kinda looking for an answer also in the difference of taking a safety of and shooting SA or just shoot DA first shot. You know what is cool is I have options. Thanks Jim

Whatever it is you decide on, definitely practice it! All too often you'll see guys draw their 1911 and then silence...they've forgotten to take the safety off! Just practice, practice, practice drawing and getting the safety off and you'll be good to go.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    That is why I am thinking to just double action the first shot instead of worrying about taking off the safety. That is the way I would probably carry it anyway.
    The gun comes with 3 mags and I am not interested in paying a stupid panic prices for a extra mag and that is why I am interested in shooting Limited in USPSA because 3 mags would be plenty in that case. Jim

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That is why I am thinking to just double action the first shot instead of worrying about taking off the safety. That is the way I would probably carry it anyway.
    The gun comes with 3 mags and I am not interested in paying a stupid panic prices for a extra mag and that is why I am interested in shooting Limited in USPSA because 3 mags would be plenty in that case. Jim

That would be the best bet, in my opinion. Competing like you carry and carry like you compete so basically every draw and trigger pull during range practice helps in both areas.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Although I bought this gun as a IDPA/USPSA and a range gun. I really did not buy it as a carry gun. Even so I said that is the way I would carry it, I have no real intentions of carrying it. I let google be my friend and did some search's on the way that everyone else is shooting thier FNX's. Most of that I read use the gun Cocked and Locked and do well with it. I think I will practice both and I know I will end up the right way. Jim

Top Bottom