How is INDIANA "Red Flag Law" not discussed more here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    What was sold as a natural right, people actually voted for government control.....subject only to the laws prescribed by the General Assembly
    I voted no. Of course I knew the sheep would take the bait.

I also voted no. You're spot on, and low-information voters see the question and go "YEAH! Muh rights!" and vote for [fill in electoral question with catchy and appealing title here].

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm too am ok with the concept as a version of "See something, Say something" to prevent a horrific and meaningless act of violence. As always, the devil is in the details. What criteria is used, how are guns removed (and just as important, how are they cared for) a quick court date, and there should be a short & automatic deadline for the proper return of the guns. There should also be substantial penalty for malicious reporting. Otherwise, every ex-wife, jilted lover, angry neighbor (his grass clippings fell in my yard!!) can abuse the intent of the law.

The devil is in the details, indeed. And a court order to remove inanimate objects from a person deemed to be imminently dangerous to self or others is doomed to fail. If the objective is to prevent such a person from causing harm to self or others, the only effective means is to confiscate not the inanimate objects, but rather the person.

While like Hough, I agree in theory with the intent of red flag laws, I find their application to be a fatal flaw. Inanimate objects can always be replaced or obtained.

Top Bottom