• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So now the kids are swimming in heavy metal water with lead and all sorts of other goodies in it. Better hold those eyes extra tight under water and be sure not to drink any bit of the water!

Umm... wow.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    I would think all that is missing is a bore brush. Run that down the barrel and it will liquify all the salts easier. Compressed air then a normal cleaning.

Salt is hydroscopic. Meaning it absorbs water. You need to wash out all the salts. Water just happens to be one of the best liquids to do the job.

Compressed air dry then a normal cleaning.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    From a chemistry stand-point, ammonia does NOTHING to hinder the chemical reaction of the formation of corrosive salts.

It doesn't hinder the formation reactions, and the salts aren't soluble in ammonia in any effective amounts.

Water is THE BEST solvent for the removal of the salts. Period.

The whole "windex" thing is an oft perpetuated myth. Besides, not all "windex" products even have ammonia. And if they did, it wouldn't be in any useful concentration. Glass cleaners are mostly water. It's the water that's effective.-J-

Yes but urine contains a lot more than just ammonia, there's also urea, potassium, chloride, sodium and other trace elements. It's also 95 % water so maybe that's the reason I read that in the days of corrosive ammo soldiers would urinate down the barrels of rifles to remove the salts in a pinch.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I will say, he is not the sharpest tool in the shed. However, you do not have to use hot water. Water simply flushes the salt out of the barrel, action, etc. Hot or cold it does not matter.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    3rd world peasants use AKs...
    America's fighting elite use ARs!!!

+1!!!!:yesway: Do you want precision or crude? I just can't get real thrilled for crude, over gassed, barrel whipping bench grinder machined guns myself.

And corrosive ammo? Real country's have not used corrosive ammo (Primers) since the early 1950's...talk about crude

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    whats up with the flaming of this guy? its a ****ing AK people. it can handle water. you wanna see me throw an AR into a kiddie pool? i'll do it. im sure some people flaming this guy dont know **** about guns anyways and probly have never cleaned their own that they carry everyday. but YEAH! jump on the band waggon, and lets flame him.

and no, i do not know this guy, but if you all think water is gonna hurt it then you are the retarded ones. at least he makes an attempt to clean it, thats better than I can say about a lot of INGO people i've bought guns from. dry it, lube it, and its good to go.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    whats up with the flaming of this guy? its a ****ing AK people. it can handle water. you wanna see me throw an AR into a kiddie pool? i'll do it. im sure some people flaming this guy dont know **** about guns anyways and probly have never cleaned their own that they carry everyday. but YEAH! jump on the band waggon, and lets flame him.

and no, i do not know this guy, but if you all think water is gonna hurt it then you are the retarded ones. at least he makes an attempt to clean it, thats better than I can say about a lot of INGO people i've bought guns from. dry it, lube it, and its good to go.

HUH?:rolleyes: You lost me on that one man. If that is considered cleaning a gun I need a new hobby I guess.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    HUH?:rolleyes: You lost me on that one man. If that is considered cleaning a gun I need a new hobby I guess.

it will undo the corrosive buildup. im not saying dont take it further too, but it seems like people think water is useless and its not. I bet 60% of gun owners dont clean their guns at all, and another 20% not properly. it just always makes me laugh when I see people jumping on a bashing waggon who some probly have no clue what they are talking about anyways, they just read what they know on the net, or are just following the leader. that was my biggest point.

no, I dont think you should dunk your gun in water and then put it away wet or without oiling it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    +1!!!!:yesway: Do you want precision or crude? I just can't get real thrilled for crude, over gassed, barrel whipping bench grinder machined guns myself.

And corrosive ammo? Real country's have not used corrosive ammo (Primers) since the early 1950's...talk about crude

Hum... sure but ammo is ammo and match grade or corrosive all does it job and kills. Never underestimate the peasant with a rusty AK-47 defending his land from the infield carrying an AR. Both platforms (AR and AK) have there use for various purposes.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    it will undo the corrosive buildup. im not saying dont take it further too, but it seems like people think water is useless and its not. I bet 60% of gun owners dont clean their guns at all, and another 20% not properly. it just always makes me laugh when I see people jumping on a bashing waggon who some probly have no clue what they are talking about anyways, they just read what they know on the net, or are just following the leader. that was my biggest point.

no, I dont think you should dunk your gun in water and then put it away wet or without oiling it.

Understood and Yea you are correct on people not cleaning their guns at all. Don't know about anyone else but when I shoot any of mine it bugs me to death until I get it cleaned.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Hum... sure but ammo is ammo and match grade or corrosive all does it job and kills. Never underestimate the peasant with a rusty AK-47 defending his land from the infield carrying an AR. Both platforms (AR and AK) have there use for various purposes.

Heck I don't underestimate ANYONE that has a gun. A good way to get a leaky hole or two in you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ummm, does he know that they put M4s in portable dishwashers?:dunno:

It is my understanding, perhaps incorrectly, that much of the ammo in Afghanistan is corrosive Chinese stuff. (Please correct me if I am incorrect, I have no first hand experience).

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Ummm, does he know that they put M4s in portable dishwashers?:dunno:

It is my understanding, perhaps incorrectly, that much of the ammo in Afghanistan is corrosive Chinese stuff. (Please correct me if I am incorrect, I have no first hand experience).

I can't speak for the corrosive ammo. I have heard that most of the AK74 5.45 ammo is corrosive but I have never owned a AK74 so not sure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, in arid environments...it doesn't matter all that much if you shoot corrosive ammunition or not.

Because it's the ambient humidity that begins the corrosive salts forming.

You remove the ambient humidity and you GREATLY greatly lessen your chances of having any corrosion.

-J-

Top Bottom