How long before things go south if the SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yup, it would be dog eat dog.

My neighbors across the way have a gadsden flag and an obnoxiously loud whole house generator. Neighbor across from them also have a loud generator that kicks on in any power outage. My old farm house is a shambles compared to these folks with much nicer stuff apparent. No vehicles set out at my place. You'd be hard pressed to ever tell if there is anyone home or not.

Marauders will have many miles to cover before they get out our way, so we'll know they are coming. 104 yards to one neighbors drive, 133 to the other, from the cover of my back porch.

;)

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My neighbors across the way have a gadsden flag and an obnoxiously loud whole house generator. Neighbor across from them also have a loud generator that kicks on in any power outage. My old farm house is a shambles compared to these folks with much nicer stuff apparent. No vehicles set out at my place. You'd be hard pressed to ever tell if there is anyone home or not.

Marauders will have many miles to cover before they get out our way, so we'll know they are coming. 104 yards to one neighbors drive, 133 to the other, from the cover of my back porch.

;)
    My whole house comes on at 3:00 pm each Tuesday, I have to be outside on that side of the home to hear it. The loudest thing is the electric starter when it starts up to cycle.

I’m just guessing your neighbors either have a diesel (by the way the best, water cooled better) or have not kept up on the maintenance. (Mufflers ) are a maintenance issue. Or they bought junk, they won’t be a problem very long. Not being argumentative, just stating my own experience. Respectfully.

It’s our plan to only run the ginny every 3-4 days in a SHTF situation to freeze down the freezers. That would be the (our) time for hot water, any lights, battery charging, anything else that absolutely requires electricity.

My/our thoughts are electric lights are a dead bang give away. And our closest neighbors are at least .75 miles away. Nearest county road is .25 mile. A gravel rd. Clear 600-800 yrd. Field of fire. Up in the air, over 3 miles.

I know it rankles some folks here but we monitor 26.945 mhz. Ground wave, no repeaters.

Head on a swivel, it’s coming, maybe not in my lifetime but the fact is it’s inevitable. Again respectfully sir. :thumbsup:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My whole house comes on at 3:00 pm each Tuesday, I have to be outside on that side of the home to hear it. The loudest thing is the electric starter when it starts up to cycle.

I’m just guessing your neighbors either have a diesel (by the way the best, water cooled better) or have not kept up on the maintenance. (Mufflers ) are a maintenance issue. Or they bought junk, they won’t be a problem very long. Not being argumentative, just stating my own experience. Respectfully.

It’s our plan to only run the ginny every 3-4 days in a SHTF situation to freeze down the freezers. That would be the (our) time for hot water, any lights, battery charging, anything else that absolutely requires electricity.

My/our thoughts are electric lights are a dead bang give away. And our closest neighbors are at least .75 miles away. Nearest county road is .25 mile. A gravel rd. Clear 600-800 yrd. Field of fire. Up in the air, over 3 miles.

I know it rankles some folks here but we monitor 26.945 mhz. Ground wave, no repeaters.

Head on a swivel, it’s coming, maybe not in my lifetime but the fact is it’s inevitable. Again respectfully sir. :thumbsup:

No idea on the specs on the neighbors genny's, but I'm sure they are purpose designed, professionally installed natural gas. It's pretty quiet out here. Can't miss the gennys running from much farther out than me.

I'm sure your genny is quiet. Food for thought though; you might want to step off a distance and pay some attention to how your genny sounds, echoing off of the nearby buildings? One of my neighbors installed their genny in a funnel made by their house and a privacy fence. Their genny may be quiet in their house and even a lot of their yard. Their funnel points at my house though. After the noise crosses the roadway, I can hear the neighbor's genny running in my house, with the windows closed.

:)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mij

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Wood stoves give off an obvious smell. Electrical heat or natural gas should be relatively low signature. What methods do you all use to minimize those signs if SHTF and you are the only one around with a warm house?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    No idea on the specs on the neighbors genny's, but I'm sure they are purpose designed, professionally installed natural gas. It's pretty quiet out here. Can't miss the gennys running from much farther out than me.

I'm sure your genny is quiet. Food for thought though; you might want to step off a distance and pay some attention to how your genny sounds, echoing off of the nearby buildings? One of my neighbors installed their genny in a funnel made by their house and a privacy fence. Their genny may be quiet in their house and even a lot of their yard. Their funnel points at my house though. After the noise crosses the roadway, I can hear the neighbor's genny running in my house, with the windows closed.

So the natural gas supply is not going to be effected by a SHTF situation? Might want to tip off you neighbor.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So the natural gas supply is not going to be effected by a SHTF situation? Might want to tip off you neighbor.
    i was just getting ready to post that.

Solar is the only self sufficient mode. Or maybe diesel for a time if you can find adequate quantities of scrap oils that could work as a substitute for diesel.

I have those at work for my 2 data centers. I "joke" that if those generators wont run, IDGAF because by the time the gas system collapses, I wont care about work anymore. I have bigger fish to fry.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Good point, and will do. It would reflect off the East side directly into the woods closest to my home. The most likely direction of approach by stealth. Thank you for the heads up.

Yes, folks in the towns don’t have a clue how sound n light travel out here. I can hear the neighbors kids playing in the evenings in summer, they are almost a mile away. I often wonder what they ( neighbors) must think when I take the dogs out after dark and hear the words I use to get them back to the house. They must think I’m a lunatic :lmfao:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t know your situation anymore than you know mine.

But here we have LP folks that don’t make their living selling to residential homes. They sell to farmers that dry grain, in very large industrial grain driers, they have massive storage capacity. And they allow purchasing during off peak price times. This allows some folks to purchase LP in advance. As a matter of fact they call us and tell us when to buy.

We (my wife and I) are currently paid two years in advance. We have piggybacked tanks that allows for a years supply in extremely low temp. weather conditions. I trust the supplier to uphold his part of the bargain.

NOW!!!
    It seems this thread has gone to a point of an argument, I don’t want to be involved in an argument, SO, good luck to everybody. I’m out of this * show.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

But here we have LP folks that don’t make their living selling to residential homes. They sell to farmers that dry grain, in very large industrial grain driers, they have massive storage capacity. And they allow purchasing during off peak price times. This allows some folks to purchase LP in advance. As a matter of fact they call us and tell us when to buy.

We (my wife and I) are currently paid two years in advance. We have piggybacked tanks that allows for a years supply in extremely low temp. weather conditions. I trust the supplier to uphold his part of the bargain.

NOW!!!
    It seems this thread has gone to a point of an argument, I don’t want to be involved in an argument, SO, good luck to everybody. I’m out of this * show.
    I think you are reading more into this than you should. No reason to excuse yourself because there really isnt an argument per se except for if the S truly HTF anything requiring dino juice will be dead eventually due to supply chain issues. It just isnt a long term solution. Thats all.

Stay and enjoy the party. (as morbid as it is)

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

NOW!!!
    LP works the same around here. But Natural Gas can't be stored on site. NG is great for electrical outages but if SHTF it won't last long.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I think you are reading more into this than you should. No reason to excuse yourself because there really isnt an argument per se except for if the S truly HTF anything requiring dino juice will be dead eventually due to supply chain issues. It just isnt a long term solution. Thats all.

Stay and enjoy the party. (as morbid as it is)
    Thank you sir. But I see this as the potential to become a shooting war. Been there done that, don’t need it. I’m here as always, just don’t want to be in the political discussion thread. That’s why you don’t see me there very often.

Myself and my family have been in Indiana for at least 7 generations maternally and 9 generations that I can trace paternally. If folk’s don’t think I have anything to add to the thread, I’d rather sit one out and watch the show. Again thank you for your concern. :thumbsup:

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Thank you sir. But I see this as the potential to become a shooting war. Been there done that, don’t need it. I’m here as always, just don’t want to be in the political discussion thread. That’s why you don’t see me there very often.

Myself and my family have been in Indiana for at least 7 generations maternally and 9 generations that I can trace paternally. If folk’s don’t think I have anything to add to the thread, I’d rather sit one out and watch the show. Again thank you for your concern. :thumbsup:
    While I don't have much to add to this discussion as we are woefully under prepared, I have really enjoyed your input, as well as everyone else's, as you all have provided some really informative stuff. Hope you change your mind down the road!

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I see this as more of a sharing of ideas. We all have different experiences and perspectives and having a different point of view is a natural state of our lives lived. Offering our different experiences and perspectives to our friends and colleagues/neighbors, well… that my friend is more valuable to us as a community and has potential to help someone survive a bad situation. I value your opinion and perspective especially since it makes me think of alternatives to what I’ve been doing. Fresh ideas if you will.
    Hang tight brother… times coming when all we have left might be each other and our perspectives.
    :cheers:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some will always survive. With prep it may be easier, but in failure of plans, many will not. All we can do is plan the best we can. Being physically healthy, mentally aware, and having some favor of GOD Almighty will separate the survivors from the worm food.

My personal assessment is pretty low between serious cardiovascular health problems, living in a subdivision, and no real community of survival minded people around, the best I can anticipate is holding back the hordes for a little while and dying with a full stomach.

Cold conditions are a far bigger problem than hot, Water is always a concern.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The vast majority of us are not as well prepared as we would like. I cannot get far from a city without compromising my income, and so I have to make do with what I can. Most of the neighborhood has no interest in shooting, but I make a point to invite as many of my neighbors as I can to the range. I would be lying if I said I was properly set up, but I can make do for a few weeks of power outage. Next on the list is rainwater collection and purification. I won't make it through a carrington event if the grid goes down hard, but for basic civil unrest, I like to think my neighborhood will do better because of the friends i have made.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some will always survive. With prep it may be easier, but in failure of plans, many will not. All we can do is plan the best we can. Being physically healthy, mentally aware, and having some favor of GOD Almighty will separate the survivors from the worm food...

I wouldn't overlook the training aspect of the situation either. Most everyone has a plan for what the scenario could be in their mind. The problem being that most minds are pretty narrow.

Training to see indicators and open your mind by what others have experienced can show how to minimalize one's exposure. While it's easy to make light of "preppers" as crazy or some other negative to justify lack of addressing ANY aspect of preparedness, many things can be worked into daily life, without a lot of change.

It doesn't cost much in expense or time to study self defense, on a personal level and or for the property. You have to educate yourself to think ahead or for "the worst" so to speak.

Do you...

Carry every day? All the time?
    Minimalize your exposure? At home and when out?
    Are you exposed to different thinking than your own, in relation to self defense overall?
    Have you been to self defense classes? Specifically force on force classes that test you with scenarios that you may NEVER have considered?

Personally, I can attest to changing my own thinking on a lot related to self defense by taking classes. Without rattling off pages and pages of stuff, I can just simplify by saying that I have turned 180 on a lot of aspects of self defense. "Good guys," "women in distress," "the presence of firearms solves all problems," are just some scenarios where I failed in training, but learned a lot about how I will change things in real life. Changes to actually be prepared for what could be vs what my narrow mind had thought I needed. More than once, I came home pretty miffed at "getting beat" in class. I learned though, as we all should. :)

Is it needless to say, or is it not that we should also train with the firearms we treasure to save ourselves? Can we run with others on the line at the range in a firearms class, without coming home with more holes than we showed up with? Can we show up better than last on a scoresheet at local shooting sports competitions?

:twocents:

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    This is one of the reasons, among many, to meet your local sheriff and police. Both formally and informally. You need to assess whether they are likely to just "follow orders", or will ask themselves if those orders are constitutionally defensible.
    Also not likely a universal assessment of your local LE. In my experience there are a lot of constitutionally conscious coppers in my area but there are also several that I believe are here for a pay check and a cool ride and they blend in well.

I was talking with some folks in a patreon group a while back when everyone was walking off the job in Atlanta and someone posed the question of "when you do know its time to walk away and take care of your family". I suspect that it all depends on your area but hopefully if everything falls apart and the feds come in with their questionable enforcement directives that there are less of those "order followers" that stick around than there are good guys willing to give the finger. The issue is going to be that those that aren't going to violate your rights also probably cant stick around to help because they are going to get the boot when they give the finger to the overlords. If that happens I think youll see alot of local LE city/county disperse to take care of their own which id rather see that than have them on the other side.

Top Bottom