• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have caught myself watching for where the brass flew before I was sure of my shot... that is very aggravating.I spend time looking for brass if I am not at a nice clean spot. The time depends on what I have left to do for the day, what the temps are like and what mood I am in. I even spend time looking for steel cases that I have just shot. I put them into decanters like the fancy people do for kitchen pretties with beans and such. Makes a nice little decoration.... well, sort of.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you are on private property, or at an outdoor range where it is possible, one of those cheap Harbor Freight blue tarps is you friend.

I don't spend any time at all looking for mine it is all right here. Sweep it into a dustpan and pour it in the bag. Done.:)

MCFampG06-13-2012002_zps28e5f50a.jpg

That's tiny, maybe 12'x20'??

I get Harbor Freight discount emails, at least once every three months they put their tarps on sale.

Me and my buddy each bought 1 of the 20'x30's, and then I bought one of the camo 20'x30's.

I have a 6'x12' trailer that I built removable 2 foot sides that can be attached to the railings, got a
    bunch of fiberglass poles that I can assemble, then attach them to the railings and can turn my
    trailer into a Conestoga Style sleeping quarters and use it for camping or a quick bug out trailer.
    Next plan is to build a mini wood stove to use in it for cooking and heating if we want to head out
    when it's a little chillier.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Shoot,dribble,dribble.

That's tiny, maybe 12'x20'??

I get Harbor Freight discount emails, at least once every three months they put their tarps on sale.

Me and my buddy each bought 1 of the 20'x30's, and then I bought one of the camo 20'x30's.

I have a 6'x12' trailer that I built removable 2 foot sides that can be attached to the railings, got a
    bunch of fiberglass poles that I can assemble, then attach them to the railings and can turn my
    trailer into a Conestoga Style sleeping quarters and use it for camping or a quick bug out trailer.
    Next plan is to build a mini wood stove to use in it for cooking and heating if we want to head out
    when it's a little chillier.

Wow you must be shooting REAL ammo! :bow: My mouse phart loads barely clear my boots! :rolleyes: I could probably catch it all with a hanky.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Once you start reloading, revolvers, bolt-actions and single-shot guns start having a LOT more appeal! :D

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wow you must be shooting REAL ammo! :bow: My mouse phart loads barely clear my boots! :rolleyes: I could probably catch it all with a hanky.
    Winchester WB 9mm and Winchester HV .22 Bulk pack.

My Taurus 809 kicks them any where from upwards to 9 feet to the right, the JustRite 9mm Carbine
    will zip them 12 feet out, and the .22, well it's a 22, 3-4 feet.

ComputerGeeks Sccy 9mm, now that the extractor is fixed throws them out there, sometimes 15 feet,
    used to pop them about 7 feet behind and a foot to the left.

Having that size, it let's two shoot at a time if we want too, but the main reason is
    that with it that big, there's no wild brass flying out into the grass for him to hit when
    he mows that area.

Something about hitting a .45 shell casing with the tip of a ZTR mower blade swirling
    around @ 225mph, it gives a whole new meaning to slinging brass.:laugh:

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    If I just did my math correctly, (assuming my time is worth $10/hr and a 9mm casing worth 5¢) I should spend no more than 18 seconds per 9mm case.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Until I find them and not a moment longer :) Actually I usually pick it up just to tidy up the range. I'm not a reloader, but I should probably start keeping it just for future possibilities.

I did keep all the brass from my 308 bolt gun when I had it, but when I sold the gun, I threw in all that Federal Gold Medal Match 308 brass as a bonus to the guy who bought the last couple of boxes of GM Match ammo I had. He was a happy camper.

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I am insaine with brass recovery. I lost 2 out of 100 3 days ago and wont be happy knowing their out there. When i find myself in a possition that i have a high loss rate i switch to a wheel gun. I try to shoot once fired cases with once fired cases and 5 timmers with 5 timmers so when i loose a once fired case and find it on a 5 timmer day i cant be sure so it becomes a 5 timmer.

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I stay until I find it all, but the range I go to is usually vacant, so it's no big deal. I usually end up finding more than I came with too!

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I like the metal detector idea. That's a whole complete hobby to compliment shooting. I can see a Walmart trip in my future!
    Stop in Harbor Freight with a 20% coupon and you can pick up their "6 function" metal detector for under $30. I brought one home yesterday. Read the instructions, put the batteries in, toss a casing down and fine tune it. I found a lot of my missing .380's anywhere from just under the grass to 2 inches down with no problem. The sale price is $34.xx.
    Good hunting.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I mostly shoot revolvers, so it is not an issue. In action competitions I shoot moonclipped revolvers. The brass is right there by my feet in the clips. Try updating to a revolver. :):

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I pick it all up, even the 22lr. On the pistol range, Round Up is my friend. Makes finding brass really easy. Plus I can use the roller ball brass picker upper which really makes things fast and saves on my back. The 100 yard range is lawn so it gets picked over with a fine tooth comb. If I do miss any they will eventually get found and thrown in with the rest. 22s in the grass suck but i keep after them just the same. It looks nicer and they all go in the scrap brass bucket to pay for more down the road.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I don't know where the brass or steel casing go with my old AK. Somewhere into another county I fear. Once in a while I get lucky and find one but it is 7.62 x 39 so most of it is surplus and of unknown primer so it just gets left behind me somewhere.

Top Bottom