• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    How long does everyone think permission to hunt/fish private land lasts? I have permission at 2 or 3 different places and I make it a point to have a face 2 face with the owner every year to make sure the permission still stands, if any rules have changed, or if anyone else has permission to be there.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I would always check once per year at a minimum. If I just stop and ask to hunt, I would ask permission the next time as well.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Every year before the season starts. Its a good thing to do, then you'll know if anyone else will be there so you're not walking up on them. The few places I hunt are small wood lots surrounded by farm fields. Having more the a couple of people at a time on them could be dangerous.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    every season. it lets you know if anyone else is going to be there and they might be able to tell you what has been going on on their land.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    How long does everyone think permission to hunt/fish private land lasts? I have permission at 2 or 3 different places and I make it a point to have a face 2 face with the owner every year to make sure the permission still stands, if any rules have changed, or if anyone else has permission to be there.

I hunt on some ground owned by one of my best friends. I was seeing him nearly every single day at work and a couple times a week outside of work. I have taken his son hunting with me for turkey and deer several times a year and his son killed his first deer sitting in my tree stand on another farm I have permission to hunt. I made sure he got a good picture of himself with his first deer, got the empty shell for a souvenir, and had an NWTF knife I bought just in case such an occasion came up. We used the NWTF knife to gut it and he learned how. His son came home with a deer, an 8x10 of him the deer, the gun, then knife and the empty shell all in the picture, and his first hunting knife.

I still made it a point about a month ago to specificly ask if it's OK with him if I hunt the same land I have been hunting for years now, again this year.

To me it's about openly acknowledging who has the right to do what ever they want with what they own and who is asking permission from that person to make use of that property.

Last edited:

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    As others have said, at least every season. It really depends on your relationship with the landowner though.

In my case, and I think it's a good policy for everyone, I make it a point to see the landowner at least every three months as a friendly visit and to see if there's anything I can do for them. Most of the time it'll end up with us sitting on their porch drinking a glass of sweet iced tea shooting the breeze, but sometimes they do have a chore or two they need some help with.

I also make it a point to send them a Thank You card with a picture of any animals harvested from their land, and an in person visit with a portion of the take if I know they'll use it. Lastly, they get a Christmas card from our family every year.

Build a good relationship, and the permission will last (hopefully) a long time!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I hunt two large sections of private property, and I try and keep in cantact every month or so. I will ask for each species, deer, goose, squirrel, coyote, trying to build a friendship, a commitment to the property. Offer to cut firewood for them, clean up scrap metal into one pile, ask what day they are preparing the garden in spring, and stay all day to help.

Make a rhubarb pie in spring, fresh baked cookies any time, my kids will draw pictures of the day we took a "hike" on the property looking for sheds, drop some venision sausage or a few smoked salmon. A nice picture of their farm at sunset, framed and dated is a terrifc gesture. Don't do the minimum, make it personal.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I hunt on some ground owned by one of my best friends. I was seeing him nearly every single day at work and a couple times a week outside of work. I have taken his sone hunting with me for turkey and deer several times a year and his son killed his first deer sitting in my tree stand on another farm I have permission to hunt. I made sure he got a good picture of himself with his first deer, got the empty shell for a souvenir, and had an NWTF knife I bought just in case such an occasion came up. We used the NWTF knife to gut it and he learned how. His son came home with a deer, an 8x10 of him the deer, the gun, then knife and the empty shell all in the picture, and his first hunting knife.

I still made it a point about a month ago to specificly ask if it's OK with him if I hunt the same land I have been hunting for years now, again this year.

To me it's about openly acknowledging who has the right to do what ever they want with what they own and who is asking permission from that person to make use of that property.

Classy approach Jack. Very nice!

I'm in the camp that there should be fairly regular contact with the landowner if you want the relationship to last. They are doing you a HUGE favor and I always try to make sure people doing me favors know how much it is appreciated and know that I'm doing something for them as well.

Right now, I do not have any private land at all to hunt in Indiana, but I have had access to thousands of acres in other states in the past. In those cases, I tried to stop by and say hi to the landowner about once a month in season and about every other month out of season.

I also tried to share in the meat bounty and always shared with them info I had on their property (the strength of the deer herd, browse line issues, etc.). They have been particularly thankful for feedback on garbage I picked up for them along roads and for any trespassers I ran off.

My motto is "make a friend - keep a hunting area" for the most part.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    this is a subject that drives me nuts. hunting rights are granted on a year to year basis.

i hunt a tract of land near my home and atleast half the reason i got permission is to run off people who wern't allowed there. ive hunted it for 4 years or so now and the first year was a mess. i had people telling me that "i have permission from ___. i say that is great but ____ hasn't owned this farm for 17 years. so folks get pretty pissed when you tell them to leave. i started to climb one mans stand to "help him leave" and had to call the law on 2. acutally they told me they were going to call the cops on me and i pulled out my cell and saved them the time. last year was the first year ive found no tresspassers not that they wern't there i just didn't fiind them.

ok im off my soap box but deffintally permission is on a year to year basis unless its leased land for x amount of years

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As a land owner who hunts his own property I have encountered other hunters who swore they had permission from the land owner to hunt my ground, they just could not remember his name.:)

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    permission

my son and i have permission to hunt a couple of farms. permission to shoot on another. we make it a point to ask every year. also every year we try and do something for them. free exhaust job, free paint job on kids first truck. one farmers dad gets a free bucthered deer in his freezer every year. we are always welcomed back. have ran into alot of people there that had permission from so and so 20 years ago. they think permission once lasts a lifetime. having trouble now with a kid who got permission from farmer last year by claiming we were friends. last week farmer says no one but son and i. inform other guy. his response was i"ll see ya oct.1. told him to call farmer, no he can call me. attitude like that no wonder its hard for alot of people to get permission. sorry for the rant

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you'd like the permission to last a little longer, then just have the land owners write a note stating that and have them sign and date it. I'm not sure that would hold up in any court, but it has to be better than a simple handshake on the matter.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    permission

one farmer i used to hunt on gave out business cards with the dates of the deer season and your name on them. when you were past that date permission was over. very simple

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    jerico616 "If you'd like the permission to last a little longer, then just have the land owners write a note stating that and have them sign and date it. I'm not sure that would hold up in any court, but it has to be better than a simple handshake on the matter."

Legally you have to have writtem permission on your person from the land/lease holder. The DNR hasa neat little single page document you can use, so there is documentation you have an agreement, and to negat liability for the land/lease holder.

It is to the advantage of both parties to use this form.

Top Bottom