how long till your mortgage is paid off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah I got a long time First home just bought Oct 2013 30yr fixed. Pay extra each month and extra payment each year but it will still be a while. When I first bought the first statement had a run down on how much interest to principle for each year over the life of the loan. I have not received a nether one of these. Should I have and is there a way to get one?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    High 5 to all who paid off their mortgages. The year I was born, the average 40 year old man had his home paid in full and IF he had a car payment, it was less than a year. Of course a working man brought home over 90% of his wages in the early to mid 50's.

It is good to not be a slave to the mortgage people. If only I could figure out a way not to be the slave of the tax man, I will be free. I am pretty sure you have to die to be free from the taxman. It is prudent to have a plan for the afterlife.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am lucky enough to own my own home at 52. I have actually owned it for about 10years. It's a good feeling. Pay them off as fast as you can. Then keep it that way if you can! My house ain't pretty but she's mine.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    wow .....thanks! I had no idea where I was till I seen this question. bought new to me house 5 yrs ago (63 months) on a 15yr mortgage at 3.85%. been paying between $100 or $150 every month when we could,almost every time, and im down to 6 yrs(76) payments. im STOKED

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    As of today, we have 16 years left at our current rate. It was a 30 year loan, and we've been in the house for just under 3 years. Crazy what a little bit of extra principal payments can do.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    -11. Debt free for 11 years. No mortgage, no car payment, no credit card payments (paid in full monthly).

Dave Ramsey works. Though we do have the credit card, we hate debt and payments so much we won't carry a balance.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, nice job folks. But now I feel really bad. Was under 9 years til I accepted a new job in Bloomington and just bought a house with a 20 year mortgage.

I will pay it off in less by making extra principle payments once I am done with the renovations. But I doubt I get it below 10-13 years.

The upside that I keep telling myself is that when I am finished with the reno work here, my home will have as much equity in it as the total value of my home that I sold late last year.:)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I like to refinance every three years....tap out that equity cash and buy something nice with it. So I don't think I'll ever be paid off. State owns your property anyway.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm under 7 years... I could have it all paid off tomorrow if I wanted, but at 2.875% interest my investments are making me money above and beyond the cost of my mortgage, so I'll ride it out and keep my money in the stock market. If I don't make any extra principle payments I will have it paid off before I turn 36...

Blown71X

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Boone County
    Wrote a 25k check last summer to pay it off (The stars lined up right) and damn it felt good..absolutely NO debt...right up to the point my wife of 27 years decided to screw a coworker.....it is amazing how fast things can go to s*it..........it was fun while it lasted..lol

Top Bottom