• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I have been around guns for awhile. I have been in the guard for almost eight years and did two tours overseas. I just never really "got" into guns until recently.

Well semantics then. Now that you've "got" into guns, I think it's a matter of time.

Of course, diversity makes the world go round. Some members here will almost yell at someone for having their safety on, let alone not carrying.

But, if a year from now your gun stays at home in a safe when you leave, well, it's America and you can do that if you want to!

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I'm just curious. Why buy a compact model pistol if you dont plan to carry it? Its compact, so you're meant to carry it discreetly. If you want to just plink around at the range a fullsize is obv the better choice.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Before the theatre shooting I probably carried about 1/2 the time I went out. After the shooting it just made me stop and think how easy it is to get caught with your pants down. Hard to believe the total randomness of it all and thats when I started carrying about 100%.

Last edited:

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I don't carry...yet.

Got my LTCH and currently (very slowly, damn wedding) saving up for my first carry piece. I imagine I won't carry most of the time at first, but as my comfort level goes up, I'll carry it much more. My intent is to basically carry it 100% of the time, as much as I possibly can.

But do what you want. This is the USA, take advantage of your right to bear arms or opt out. There is no wrong choice, just make sure you can live with it either way. Personally, I will consider myself a success if I never have to draw my firearm in defense.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have been around guns for awhile. I have been in the guard for almost eight years and did two tours overseas. I just never really "got" into guns until recently.

Thank you for your service..

870 is a good choice for home defense but same thing, don't have it unloaded with a trigger lock on it locked in a safe or whatever..

Hope you find the answers to your questions, plenty of info and opinions here on INGO..

TJ

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't, for a few reasons. Underage for a store purchase. The biggest reason is im a full time college student. Now, if SB 097 gets passed, I'll get my LTCH and a concealed carry weapon, through private sale, and carry to my hearts content!!!

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    If I'm dressed, I'm carrying. It's as simple as that.

I didn't grow up around guns either. My first introduction to them was Army BRM in Basic.

But I have been into them ever since and I have carried for years now. I wouldn't feel right without doing so. Wallet, watch, keys, light, knife, gun, phone....

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    I'm just curious. Why buy a compact model pistol if you dont plan to carry it? Its compact, so you're meant to carry it discreetly. If you want to just plink around at the range a fullsize is obv the better choice.

^^^ My thinking when I read the original post. You've got a 3.40 inch barrel, and small grips.

You do have a 'shooting' challenge at the range in terms of achieving small groups. If you don't own a full size, or haven't-you might not know what you're missing.
    :popcorn:

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I don't carry yet either, as I am waiting to get my ltch, and my gun! I plan to carry at home even before my ltch comes through, and everywhere after. I'm a SAHM so I'm home most of the time. We have always had guns, but it does make so much more sense to just keep one on me. I have always been the kind of Mom that runs scenarios through my head like "If someone broke in right now, how would I protect the kids?", etc. Deciding to carry has actually made me feel a lot better about protecting my children. I don't want to get hurt or hurt anyone else, but I wouldn't think twice if it came to keeping my kids safe.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't carry right now namely because I work at a company that prohibits firearms. I do keep it secured in my car as is legal but I have to say, I don't know how much help it'll be to anyone at work, though. If there is a shooter at work, and I make it to my car safely, I'm driving home!

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    I carry 95% of the time (sometimes I brain fart and leave at home) there are very few places I go my gun doesn't like my girlfriends dads house. But other then that I have it even considering wearing it to my own wedding. That's about a year away though. You'll carry one day and you'll ask your self why you didn't sooner. Welcome to INGO by the way

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I carry alot of the time it just depends on where im going and what im doing.then there sometimes i will take it and just leave it in the truck but i aways have a option.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I've had guns for over 50 years and I still don't carry. Just my choice and my decision. I tried several times but I just could never get comfortable doing it. I always felt like everyone's eyes were on me and that feeling I prefer to live without.

Whether you choose to carry or not is an important, life changing decision that only you can make and don't ever feel the need to do it only to satisfy your desire to "fit in". I guess the big question you need to ask yourself is if the need arose "could you pull that trigger" at the blink of an eye and do you have enough self restraint to "not pull that trigger" at the blink of an eye?.

Do I feel unsafe or in danger when I'm out in public without a gun? No more than I have for the past 50+ years. If I grew up or lived in a dangerous area or big city, then I might be singing a different tune.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would say a majority of people here on INGO carry. Not all, just a majority.
    But, I would say a majority of gun owners do not carry. They either just take it to the range, or keep it in the house.

Whether you carry, or what pistol you use, go with what works for you.
    Personally, I think I am more likely to need it outside the house, then at home.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I've been licensed to carry for about 20 years and rarely have. I got it back in the day when you needed it to transport to the range and went with the concealed carry version just because it gave me more freedom in how I secured the guns when going shooting. The majority of my friends are gun enthusiasts and none of them carry all the time and only a few carry once in a while, so I think the people on this site are in the minority of gun owners. I personally hate having stuff in my pockets or on my belt. I don't carry a wallet. When pagers where the big thing I wouldn't carry one. I was one of the last to get a cell phone. I just don't like feeling weighted down. I've travelled most of the world, including solo travel in Central America and never been in a situation where I felt like I needed a gun. Others feel better having one - that's their right and it's fine with me.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have a lifetime personal protection license, but don't intend to carry anytime soon. Of course I spend a lot of time on campus where it is not permitted. I'm glad I have the option and that others do as well. My guns are for the range and HD.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I have lifetime LTCH but have only carried on a long multi-state trip. I was concerned about being stranded & vulnerable along the highway with my family.

I regularly travel by car thru the highest crime areas in Indy. I have never had nor witnessed a situation requiring a firearm but do like having the ability to carry if my assessment of conditions changes. When driving, I remain aware of my surroundings & avoid getting blocked in at stops.

I am shopping for a better EDC & may carry more frequently.

I had an uncle that carried all the time, even at home. But he had a reason to be fearful....he was sleeping with another man's wife.

No one has a legitimate reason to be out to get me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom