• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Miserably Out, but happily raising my daughter, with request to start a day care. Weird, concerning I dont look like the teacher type with a past-chest-length beard, and long hair.

I will say this, THIS FAMILY WILL NEVER APPLY FOR MONEY NOT EARNED.

I am entirely against these programs, even for the responsible folks.

I believe Big Government has come to replace what the family should do.

JiNx0036

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Michigan City
    I've been out of work for about 2 1/2 months now. My company discharged me back in April. Every day I search the internet and careerconnect for listings but a lot of them have been empty handed. I've only been working for the past 5-6 years and have only experienced retail as my primary job.

I've been trying to get into something beyond this for awhile and actually start a career and learning some useful skills but it seems like all the positions I'm interested in or are entry level require at least 1-2 years of experience in another industry field. It sucks going to my local WorkOne only to be turned down for recommendations because I don't have those 1-2 years in a certain industry. I've got the will and desire to learn but can't figure out how I'm going to be able to put my retail/CSA experience behind me if its the only thing I qualify for.

I was real close to getting hired in the UA which is something I've been wanting to do for the past 3-4 years (because the TRAIN you). The local Plumbers was hiring and I made it into the top 10 after testing and interviews but due to the economy, they could only accept the top 6 so I missed out on that (till next year, then I'm in the top 6).

I've applied to Norfolk, Canadian National, Pacific, and Indiana Harbor Belt railroad for apprentices positions, only to be sent an email stating they chose better applicants.:noway:

When I was let go my wife was 3 months pregnant at the time so a week before our doctors visit, my insurance was dropped and had no choice but to file for medicaid since my wife's job at a local animal shelter doesn't have insurance options. Cobra is too expensive even with the government subsidy. I still haven't recieved unemployment or word if I've been approved yet.

I hate being on medicaid since me and my wife have been on our own since we were 19 and have never asked for handouts before and plan to get out as soon as I get work insurance again. The hoops you have to jump through to qualify and the people that we talked to (who for some reason are on it..now we know why) had told us we had to lie to qualify, which we certainly didn't and we just barily qualified for it. I never understood why so many people hated the welfare cadalacs but now I see it's too easy to lie and get away with it.

Either way I've been looking at applying to the local Mills(I'm in NWI) and I've seen that my local PD is hiring so I'm going to throw in my application for that too since that has also been a desire of mine.

Either way, I look at my situation as a blessing by getting out of my former company and look forward to bigger and better things and seeing my Girl due in November. If anyone knows of someone hiring in NWI please PM me.

Thanks and sorry for the long rant.:)

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I'm out as well, back to school for another 4 year degree. Online applications drive me nuts, I've yet to hear for an interview since I graduated college. I'm slowly selling off toys to keep shooting. Hopefully I can find something here in the Haute while I go to school.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This has truly been a bad time for a lot of folks. My wife and I have been laid off a bunch of times over the years, but 2002 was the first time she ever collected unemployment, and 2007, after I came off an Active Duty tour was the first time I had ever collected unemployment. Between us, we have had careers in 10 different fields over the years. You just have to find an opening and fill it.

I have a friend who is a CPA with an MBA. He had been out of work, except for one 9-month period, since 2007. He finally decided his future lay in working for the Feds and he finally got a job in April. He consistantly scored in the "Most Qualified" level for every job he applied for, but it still took him almost a year to get a job with the Feds.

I'm looking at my temporary series of jobs running out at the end of the year, myself.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    This has truly been a bad time for a lot of folks. My wife and I have been laid off a bunch of times over the years, but 2002 was the first time she ever collected unemployment, and 2007, after I came off an Active Duty tour was the first time I had ever collected unemployment. Between us, we have had careers in 10 different fields over the years. You just have to find an opening and fill it.

I have a friend who is a CPA with an MBA. He had been out of work, except for one 9-month period, since 2007. He finally decided his future lay in working for the Feds and he finally got a job in April. He consistantly scored in the "Most Qualified" level for every job he applied for, but it still took him almost a year to get a job with the Feds.

I'm looking at my temporary series of jobs running out at the end of the year, myself.

CSX is one of the largest employers of EX-military in the nation your military time actually counts toward your retirement

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    If you quit without good cause in connection to the work.

I had a guy that just quit showing up. He applied for unemployment and I protested it. He was a good worker and I had no intention on letting him go. The state denied his unemployment. However I fired a guy once for sleeping on the job. He was out for like 40 minutes. I protested his unemployment and lost. I never understood that. :dunno:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I had a guy that just quit showing up. He applied for unemployment and I protested it. He was a good worker and I had no intention on letting him go. The state denied his unemployment. However I fired a guy once for sleeping on the job. He was out for like 40 minutes. I protested his unemployment and lost. I never understood that. :dunno:

When I was a security supervisor for a commercial security company in the early 80's, we had an account which called for an armed security officer, but because it was for a municipal customer, it only paid minimum wage. The only people we could hire for the position were certain foreign students (whose nationality I will not specify). We continually had problems with them; sleeping on the job, not making rounds, etc. We'd counsel them a couple times; they'd deny doing anything wrong. We'd take pictures of them misbehaving; they'd deny it was them. After four or five such cycles, we'd fire them. The majority of them would file for unemployment, we'd deny them and give the circumstances to the labor board, including pictures. They'd claim racism, and usually would get their unemployment.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am lucky that after 28 1/2 years working for a company that is making so much money it is sickening, and not sharing it with the people who ARE the company, I have decided to "retire". Quitting is the true way to put it, but I feel lucky that after all these years my savings is still intact and my retirement, although pennies on the dollar compared to my wage, is enough to let me quit and relax.

The benefit is not only do I not have to worry about getting up in the morning, and fighting traffic, but between my retirement income and investments I will never have to pay federal taxes again. State tax will be minimal, and of course I still rent my home from the state, but not paying obama-messiah and his stupidity is worth the cut in pay.

I really feel sorry for the younger crowd who want to work, but can't find a job that pays a true living wage. Companies like I am leaving make me sick. The management and their investors are making a ton, and other than a minor "profit sharing" are not rewarding the workers that make the company what it is. Also, there is no reason other than greed for them not to be hiring new people as they are straining the current work force beyond belief.

mad618

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Dunkirk, IN
    I have been out of work for a little over six months now, I had an interview today and got the job so it's time to dust off the ole steel toe boots and have at it!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I was let go about 2 years ago, despite my excellent service to the company and performance. I have been UNDEREMPLOYED for those two years, finally getting the gig I am in now (like my old company, but with a good firm in Carmel).

Biggest thing is I hear folks complaining all the time about not being able to find work, but they ahve lofty goals and hopes. One guy I talked to WAS a union roofer, went non-union, has been working straight for the past 3 years constant. Another guy I worked WITH at one of the temp jobs I took at the NCAA complained that he wasn't making the 60K he used to at these "rinky-dink" jobs. I disliked the latter, b/c it is what is the mindset of many folks that still claim to be "out of work". They aren't out of work, they are out of ethic, laziness trumps this once great land of ours.

Folks are tending to get a touch snobby about how they live life and what they do and how much they make. I am paying half a mortage and all utilities with my stepmother (who divorced my dad). We are living out of mutual economic benefit. Pack some folks into your home. If anything the recession has taught me is that my "goals" have been severely adjusted, happiness does not equal money and lvoed ones are far more important than goals/material things.

There is a silver lining to this, despite the doom and gloom profiteers and pundits, but YOU have to earn it, instead of constantly pointing fingers at Obama, Government, Immigrants, etc... They have a hand in the general downfall, but YOU make your future... I actually get sick and tired of folks that are "out of work" telling me how terrible their lives are since the election, yet have been in unemployment system forever. "If I can't be a <insert usually overpaid or benefitted job here>, I aint gonna be anything..." seems to be the generic rally cry of the american worker. I cleaned up dog crap, on my hands and knees as one of the 5 jobs I have had in the past 2 years. A person who usually worked in an airconditioned office (or before that, semi) wearing a tie, now in jeans cleaning crap off a lawn or working in a hot, dirty plastics plant. But through my hard work, and survival, I am back, working hard, climbing my way back up to the top, not where I deserve to be, but where I have worked to be.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    But I know enough fat lazy bastard's that live with a girlfriend with 4 kids that inherited her house from a dear old grand-mother and both are living off welfare in one form or another through food stamps or unemployment benifits.....and thats the misery of it all.
    Something else I could never understand is that most people that complain about the rich having to much money, givin the chance, those same individuals will rip off the unemployed who are just getting by. The hypocrits that spend money faster than they make it on the latest and greatest might have money if they save it. A single man that has no rent to pay should be capable of saving money on a 12-$13hr job. When thats all they're paying, thats all your getting! PERIOD! They should be happy with it and don't scam the unemployed for what someone else has denied them for. JMHO

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I was let go about 2 years ago, despite my excellent service to the company and performance. I have been UNDEREMPLOYED for those two years, finally getting the gig I am in now (like my old company, but with a good firm in Carmel).

Biggest thing is I hear folks complaining all the time about not being able to find work, but they ahve lofty goals and hopes. One guy I talked to WAS a union roofer, went non-union, has been working straight for the past 3 years constant. Another guy I worked WITH at one of the temp jobs I took at the NCAA complained that he wasn't making the 60K he used to at these "rinky-dink" jobs. I disliked the latter, b/c it is what is the mindset of many folks that still claim to be "out of work". They aren't out of work, they are out of ethic, laziness trumps this once great land of ours.

Folks are tending to get a touch snobby about how they live life and what they do and how much they make. I am paying half a mortage and all utilities with my stepmother (who divorced my dad). We are living out of mutual economic benefit. Pack some folks into your home. If anything the recession has taught me is that my "goals" have been severely adjusted, happiness does not equal money and lvoed ones are far more important than goals/material things.

There is a silver lining to this, despite the doom and gloom profiteers and pundits, but YOU have to earn it, instead of constantly pointing fingers at Obama, Government, Immigrants, etc... They have a hand in the general downfall, but YOU make your future... I actually get sick and tired of folks that are "out of work" telling me how terrible their lives are since the election, yet have been in unemployment system forever. "If I can't be a <insert usually overpaid or benefitted job here>, I aint gonna be anything..." seems to be the generic rally cry of the american worker. I cleaned up dog crap, on my hands and knees as one of the 5 jobs I have had in the past 2 years. A person who usually worked in an airconditioned office (or before that, semi) wearing a tie, now in jeans cleaning crap off a lawn or working in a hot, dirty plastics plant. But through my hard work, and survival, I am back, working hard, climbing my way back up to the top, not where I deserve to be, but where I have worked to be.
    I believe everything you say without doubt. I have the same attitude about working. I work very hard, good team worker, safety minded, and work intelligently and like to advance and impress a company to make them proud to keep me on the force but, there are in fact evil forces like control freak power pocket jerk off liberal all up in your life media ass cry baby workers that run into an office with petty little bull**** lying ass rumors and complaints about other workers. They do unfortionately exist, and because they feel a threat to their job because they're lazy and you don't deserve more than them or whatever their misery is, you don't have a hope in hell when they decide they want to team up on you and show ya who's boss.
    All you can do is do the best you can and move on.
    I do like your positive outlook. Great job and keep up the good work my friend! I hope you go far with it.:patriot:

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    One big problem is that folks don't want to move. This current economic condition is such that it is no longer true that cities are where the jobs are. Instead, the very rural states are where jobs are. While Indiana was letting go of about 5,000 teachers, the rural states of Wyoming, S. Dakota, Montana, N. Dakota, Idaho, etc. were hiring some teachers. Obviously they don't need many, as the population just isn't there. The truly smart teacher will have planned on leaving family and friends to get a job in the rural west. Wait this depression out (which I think will be till a good % of baby boomers die off...say 10-15 years?).

If you want a job, plan on moving. Railroads, shipping hubs, oil, natural gas, coal, etc. are where the jobs are, as those are things that people will almost always need.

For those guys with trucks, here is a way to made some extra money: Check Craigslist, FreeCycle, and the like every couple of hours while at home. When you see "Free Wood" read the message. If the wood is hard wood, but just needs to be split, go and get it. Get the larger limb pieces as well. Split wood, stack it in piles, and then start selling firewood. Firewood sells, but most folks who are working, but use wood for all or part of their heating needs, don't have time to find, cut, split, etc.. Call around and find the going rate for a rick and cord and reduce your price by 10-15%. All it takes is your time to split the wood. I have heard there are people actually making decent money doing this. If you have a chainsaw, go around after storms and offer to saw up and remove dead trees, for a very low fee, or even for free. If you can save up enough money, you can get a power splitter and split even more wood to sell. Just a suggestion.

Faceman675

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    There are definitely jobs out there. Example: 3,000 applicants for 300 jobs at Kokomo Chrysler plant. One job fair I went to attend back a few months ago, they turned people away because the line was freaking long.

Another thing that hurts those of us looking for legitimate work; Having to apply for a local job online. What happened to the good ole days when you walked in somewhere, filled out the application and the receptionist basically decided if you got an interview or not?

I had applied at a company a friend works for. 4 weeks later at a cook-out his boss, whom I just met, asked why I didn't apply for the job opening. I explained that I had thru the online process the company had implemented. He checked the following week and my application was "junked" because it didn't contain enough of the proper keywords. That's right...a computer decided my fate.

The days of EOE are long gone now that the technology age has taken over the process. I would love to walk into a store or place of business and shake someone's hand and talk face to face again.

:twocents:

I live in Lompoc CA. Our unemployment rate is 16%. I was unemployed from 1-13-2010 till 7-1-2010. I couldn't get hired flipping burgers. I think it depends on where you are and your personal situation. For me it was very hard finding work and when I did get a job it was for just over minimum wage at a Wal-Mart.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    You think it's bad now ... just wait ...

The Alex Jones Show – L I V E – July 22nd With Gerald Celente

Alex welcomes back to the show Gerald Celente, a trend forecaster,

MEDIUM QUALITY FREE MP3 FILE: http://rss.nfowars.net/20090722_Wed_Alex.mp3

gerald%20celente.jpg

GERALD CELENTE:
    “when people lose everything and have nothing to lose, they lose it."

Forecasting, Tracking and Analyzing Global Trends | Trends Research Institute

YouTube - Gerald Celente - Predicts Panic '08!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-z1i2ihec&feature=related]YouTube - Gerald Celente - 2009 Outlook[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEZXLwAAur0&feature=related]YouTube - Celente on 2010: Wave of Terror, Internet revolt & War on migration[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3eJ9YpJeEI&feature=related]YouTube - Gerald Celente: Great 2010 Crash is looming[/ame]

Top Bottom