• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Sorry, but in this day and age, and with almost everyone carrying a cameraphone, I would almost bet this was 'filmed' by several of the bystanders. And, all those phones there, and no one had the presence of mind to call 911?
    We are seeing it more and more where some innocent(man or women) is getting some kind of beat down and there are plenty of people recording on their cell phone, but no one intercedes.
    I honestly don't know exactly how I would respond. At some point this guy was taking a beating and was rendered unconscious but continued to get beat. I'd like to think I would get involved before that, but someone who's to the point they can't defend themselves.... whoever is giving it out is going to get whatever I have to give to stop it!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We are seeing it more and more where some innocent(man or women) is getting some kind of beat down and there are plenty of people recording on their cell phone, but no one intercedes.
    I honestly don't know exactly how I would respond. At some point this guy was taking a beating and was rendered unconscious but continued to get beat. I'd like to think I would get involved before that, but someone who's to the point they can't defend themselves.... whoever is giving it out is going to get whatever I have to give to stop it!

Interesting phenomenon. Its called "the bystander effect". The more people are around, the less likely an individual is to take action. They assume "with all these people, there is bound to be somebody else that will take charge so I dont need to do anything."

And it doesnt take a gun. Ive seen several beatdowns on youtube where the fight was OBVIOUSLY over, but the winner keeps going while the loser is either fetal or unconscious. (or both) After a few "hey man, he's done, thats enough." from a bystander (only one or two are around in the videos I saw, so go figure... see above) the winner quits on his own after being jarred into reality by the bystander.

I couldnt watch either. I'd stop it. Going for my sidearm wont be my first action.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Luckily, I frequent neither bus stations, train stations, or even bus stops, but IF I were to witness a beat down I figure the human left in me would have to intercede.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    if its only one guy doing the beating id likely step in....a crowd of them and im sorry, my own well being is very important to me

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I don't think I could live with myself if I were a part of that crowd and did nothing, especially if armed and capable of putting a stop to it. There was a time when men were men and not puxxys. Somebody should have shot the SOB.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Similar to the story last week of a crowd watching a women beaten badly by a co-worker, with her 3-year old son being the only one trying to fight back. Amazing what is happening to our society. Not many "good Samaritans" out there it seems.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    I'm with the intervene crowd. I would be curious what would happen in that sort of situation if you singled people out and demanded they help you stop him. Like in Red cross training where they tell you to look someone in the eyes and say YOU call 911. What if I look at the 6'4" construction worker and say "lets stop this jerk!". Would a couple people help you pull the perpetrator off and pin him till the police got there?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I seem to remember a story on 9/11/01 of a few guys doing just that Higginbo. I'd like to think that if average Joe's like those men were brave enough to take down some hijackers, that a few average Joe's at a bus stop could help take down a thug beating a man to death.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I seem to remember a story on 9/11/01 of a few guys doing just that Higginbo. I'd like to think that if average Joe's like those men were brave enough to take down some hijackers, that a few average Joe's at a bus stop could help take down a thug beating a man to death.
    Absolutely true, but someone often needs to lead the charge. No leader, no charge.
    To give it it's due, this could well have happened very quickly, before the "A types" could sort out WTF was going on. It's not always black and white.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You would think there would have been a few bystanders that would have somehow tried to help the old man.

Interesting phenomenon. Its called "the bystander effect". The more people are around, the less likely an individual is to take action. They assume "with all these people, there is bound to be somebody else that will take charge so I dont need to do anything."

And it doesnt take a gun. Ive seen several beatdowns on youtube where the fight was OBVIOUSLY over, but the winner keeps going while the loser is either fetal or unconscious. (or both) After a few "hey man, he's done, thats enough." from a bystander (only one or two are around in the videos I saw, so go figure... see above) the winner quits on his own after being jarred into reality by the bystander.

I couldnt watch either. I'd stop it. Going for my sidearm wont be my first action.

Absolutely true, but someone often needs to lead the charge. No leader, no charge.
    To give it it's due, this could well have happened very quickly, before the "A types" could sort out WTF was going on. It's not always black and white.

As mentioned, bystander effect. If someone intervenes, then several people help. But it takes that first one.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would probably pull steel on the perp and tell him to stop. If he continued to beat an unconscious victim, especially after saying he felt like killing someone that day... I'd probably shoot him, at least here in Indiana. Our state statutes protect us in such circumstances. I'm not sure about Texas though.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I wouldn't tell him to stop. He's just get some in the brain box. Or whatever first clear shot I had.
    Remember the dead guy at walmart who yelled stop? We must learn from fallen heros

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm sure most everyone on INGO would preface with "it depends on the particular circumstances".

Based on past experiences, I'm fairly certain the 56 year-old man would still be alive. I think most INGO'ers would act similarly.

I would caveat that if I happen to be armed, I likely wouldn't respond with the 'gun as a club' or 'hand to hand'. I carry a gun for reason. This is one of those reasons.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Under such circumstances, being a good witness means witnessing the last failing breath wheeze out of the perpetrator.

Hazzah. That is the correct response. And there's a whole lot wrong with that article...only 150k bond for a guy who said "I feel like killing someone" and did? YGBSM! He should be held without bond...in a freaking shark tank.

brrrrt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    N.W.I.
    Those who witnessed this but did nothing to stop it should have also been arrested. It is the responsibility of our fellow humans to help those in need.
    TX law is very similar to IN's. Even at my advanced age, I'd have tried to stop this atrocity.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Those who witnessed this but did nothing to stop it should have also been arrested. It is the responsibility of our fellow humans to help those in need.
    TX law is very similar to IN's. Even at my advanced age, I'd have tried to stop this atrocity.
    Arrested for what? You aren't seriously advocating we criminalize MYOB? Are you?

Top Bottom