• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Just wondering how many of each caliper bullets should a person have loaded. Before you start loading what you have shot. What makes you comfortable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    10krds for each gun is a happy point. Depends on how much you shoot. If im competitive shooting that year its easy to go through 10k.
    Olympic shotgun go through 30-40k a year.
    I watched a video of Mr. Tom Knapp, an exhibition shooter for Weatherby I believe.
    He said he would go through upwards of 70k rounds a year.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Goes back to the old adage "buy it cheap, stack it deep". Prices seldom go down, the best time to buy is usually 5+ years ago.

A friend who's just getting into the game recently asked "where can I get decent priced 5.56?" LOL

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Goes back to the old adage "buy it cheap, stack it deep". Prices seldom go down, the best time to buy is usually 5+ years ago.

A friend who's just getting into the game recently asked "where can I get decent priced 5.56?" LOL
    Tell him the 1990's.

You have to set a price in your mind you are willing to pay and have the money already set aside for it. Then when that price comes up, you can move quickly. That price has to be reasonable though considering the current market for your caliber. Those who wait for 1990 prices will wait forever.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Back when I was actively shooting competition and training classes, I tried really hard to get enough loaded to not be up late the night before shooting the next morning. :n00b:

Not me. I'm often up at midnight, still pulling the handle. I want my ammo to be fresh! Lol

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I reload during the winter for the most part. My goal is to get everything loaded by spring, then shoot, collect brass and start again once the days get short and the weather cold.

But I didn't load a round this past winter. Out of primers. I will see if primers drop low enough for me to stock up and start loading again next winter.

If not, I'll continue buying factory stuff and keep increasing my brass stocks.

To answer the OP, for me, 10K rounds is the goal of the two main calibers I shoot: .22LR and 9 mm. That's enough to easily give me two years of shooting if something happens to the supply chain.

Top Bottom