• How many magazines do you need?

• Total voters

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    With everyone rushing out to buy AR and AK magazines right now, I was curious to see what people's thoughts were. How many magazines is "enough"?

I put up some poll options but I think there may be too many different responses to make a poll worthwhile.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My minimum is 8 mags per handgun and 10 mags per rifle. This represents two "basic loads" (amount of mags my gear can carry), plus spares.

I have more than the minimum. :D

I also have multiple weapons that can utilize common magazines (i.e. Glock 17 mags can also be used to feed the 19 or 26).

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I believe 5 magazines per hangun is a good minimum. I have three Glock 19s. So I would have a minimum of 15 magazines for those pistols. My minimum is 10 per rifle. If I have 3 ARs, I would have 30 AR mags available.

However, I also use different mags for training than for carrying. I keep a set of unmarked, clean, and unabused pistol magazines for carrying. I have a set of similar magazines for my rifles.

I treat training magazines as a consumable part. They get worn out, abused, sometimes lost, and possibly broken. So having a number of training magazines available spreads the wear across them and they seem to last longer. Training magazines probably doubles my number from above.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    whatever you want and can afford? what good are number?
    i think i've pretty well mastered loading mags.
    (i do it in my sleep at times...)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    a serious gun guy I know who works LE in Nevada maintains a goal of 10 mags loaded with duty/carry ammo, 10 mags for training, and 10 new in package for each gun.

30 per gun. 5 AR's = 150 mags. ymmv

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have around 100 aluminum GI mags and around 40 PMags. Any and every time I find a deal on them and I have the cash I buy them. I recall the post 94 days well. Never again for me.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I dunno, I guess it's whatever YOU 'feel' is 'right'.

I tend to keep, and carry 3 mags or 4 speedloaders for each. But having more to rotate around, or more on hand in case one needs to be replaced, or parts for those, seems perfectly sound in concept.

I would also say that I would think a guy who competes might well feel the need for more than the 3 I might feel are appropriate.

YOU decide. I personally don't care if ya have 10,000 for each and every gun ya own. :yesway:

Top Bottom