• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullet Thrower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    I read the newbie post and didn't find the info ...

How many Magazines will I need for an IDPA Match ?

New Gun came with two but I am thinking will need an extra or three ...

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Read the rulebook. No course of fire will ever be more that 18 rounds. How many rounds do your mags hold and how many times do you think you will miss?

Also, per the rulebook, you are not allowed to carry more than 2 spare mags. So..........the most you will ever need at any one time is 3 (2 spare, 1 in the gun). How many extras you want to have loaded and ready to go?

Extras come in real handy during the qualifier. Never more than 6 rounds per mag and lots of mag changes.........having extras means you're not standing around loading in the middle of the stage.

Bullet Thrower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    The magazines hold 17.

Ok so the most I will ever need is 3 mags.
    In may case that will be 51 rounds.

If I understand correctly .. even though my magazines are capable of holding 17, You are only allowed to use 6 round per magazine.

That makes sense to keep the field even with the guns of lessor mag capacity ..

I gotta read the rule book.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The magazines hold 17.

Ok so the most I will ever need is 3 mags.
    In may case that will be 51 rounds.

If I understand correctly .. even though my magazines are capable of holding 17, You are only allowed to use 6 round per magazine.

That makes sense to keep the field even with the guns of lessor mag capacity ..

I gotta read the rule book.

No.

If you shoot ESP or SSP you may have 10+1 to start and 10 in the mags on your belt.

If you shoot CDP you can have 8+1 to start and 8 in the mags on your belt.

If you shoot revolver you may have 6 in the cylinder to start and 2 clips or speedloaders in front of your holster and one behind:D

Sometimes a course of fire will call for the shooter to have less than division capacity. It will never call for more.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I would suggest 3 minimum since you want two on your belt and one to start off with. I bring 6 magazines so I can reduce reloading over the match and it also gives me some spares in case I have a problem with any of the mags.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I want to shoot SSP with my 17 round M&P9, so to clarify for myself and OP, 3 is the minimum, but we will never load any of them to more than ten? BUT having extras already loaded for the next few stages is a good idea?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I want to shoot SSP with my 17 round M&P9, so to clarify for myself and OP, 3 is the minimum, but we will never load any of them to more than ten? BUT having extras already loaded for the next few stages is a good idea?

Almost. Three is the maximum (one in the gun and 2 on your belt). Go ahead and load the first mag that you'll start with to 11. When you're told to make ready, insert mag, rack the first round and you're ready to go. The other two mags on your belt can only have 10 each.

To break it down:

Load and Make Ready Magazine= 10+1
    1st Mag on Belt: 10
    2nd Mag on Belt: 10

It will just be more convenient to have some other mags ready to go. Not necessary, but nice.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    To all the new IDPA shooters, where are you located? At our monthly IDPA matches we try to encourage the shooters to come and join everyone here on INGO so they can keep track of matches and get answers to questions they might not thought to ask at their first couple of matches.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Rensselaer/Jasper county for me. My understanding is the closest matches are held in Atlanta?

Top Bottom