• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    As much as you can physically carry! Just keep in mind you can overload yourself and not be able to shoot or move effectively. Also, it is a good idea to cache some at your BOL or have a re-arm section in your vehicle as well as an emergency resupply in you BOB. I feel comfortable with my army standard 210rds and a pistol with 5 mags. You get used to it after a while. I felt naked after not having it coming back from war zone!

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Keep 5 loaded mags in my truck. 3 of FMJ, 2 of JHP, plus 2 of FMJ in the GHB. I figure after that point ill be dead or home so anything more is wasted. Then at home I have... many many more waiting packed in 50cal ammo cans.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    How many mags do you think one should have for his SHTF Rifle of choice? And would you load them all the same?

I think you might want to decide what your plans are. Do you plan on staying put or hitting the road? Are you of the mentality that you want to be out of sight out of mind or out and about walking around doing security and so on? If you plan on staying home then you can have from 1-100 as you won't be carrying them. If you plan on leaving then I would not load up with a lot of mags but that is just me.

Keep 5 loaded mags in my truck. 3 of FMJ, 2 of JHP, plus 2 of FMJ in the GHB. I figure after that point ill be dead or home so anything more is wasted. Then at home I have... many many more waiting packed in 50cal ammo cans.

Just curious as to why you mix your ammo for getting home? Do you think that if you had to engage with targets you would have the time or the thought to switch mags to another type of ammo? Not trying to knock you or anything just curious is all.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I like to have 20 mags for every rifle, and 10 for every pistol. Those are reliable magazines of the same style and capacity. Not different types, and not carrying them all at once. In a load out, 11-13 rifle magazines MINIMUM, and 6 pistol magazines MINIMUM.
    Also, for rifle ammo, I find what is most accurate/consistent and use that. I don't mix ammo, except for a tracer on the 19th round of guns that don't have a last round bolt hold open.
    Hand gun ammo, I tend to gravitate towards whatever is fastest/expands most/does the most damage. I may sacrifice accuracy a small amount there. There again, I do not mix and match.
    Shotgun, depending on how integral your shotgun is to your plan/ loadout, I believe 10 full reloads for it minimum, not counting the shells in the gun. Meaning, if your shotgun holds 9 rounds total, that is 99 rounds. That should consist of the buckshot that patterns the best out of your shotgun, and MAYBE the most accurate slugs for that particular shotgun IF you take the time to train with them (accuracy, individual loading, etc).

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Just curious as to why you mix your ammo for getting home? Do you think that if you had to engage with targets you would have the time or the thought to switch mags to another type of ammo? Not trying to knock you or anything just curious is all.

When I first drank the SHTF koolade, my ammo supplies were very low, and I didn't have five full mags of one type or the other. So I went with the 3/2 mix out of necessity (living paycheck to paycheck, stock pilling was out of my reach). Since then its just been a force of habit to keep 3 of one and 2 of the other in the truck (rotate out every few months). Im sure in a real life scenario there would be little to no fore-though about changing ammo types.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    When I first drank the SHTF koolade, my ammo supplies were very low, and I didn't have five full mags of one type or the other. So I went with the 3/2 mix out of necessity (living paycheck to paycheck, stock pilling was out of my reach). Since then its just been a force of habit to keep 3 of one and 2 of the other in the truck (rotate out every few months). Im sure in a real life scenario there would be little to no fore-though about changing ammo types.

Understandable...I was just curious:yesway:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My SHTF long gun of choice (Mossberg 590A1) does not use magazines, but I generally keep it loaded 8+1 w/00 buck in the tube, along with 4 slugs in the Speedfeed stock, just in case I need to extend the weapon's effective range a bit.

If I was carrying an AR or an AK I'd probably want 4+1 (1 in weapon w/4 spares) for a total of 150 rounds & yes I'd load all of the magazines w/the same ammunition in this case.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In my bag of evil.... BOB... Get Home Bag.... I roll 6 G22 mags with JHP. 4 in the bag, 1 in the bag in a G22, and 1 in a Kel-Tec sub 2000 in the bag. This compliments the G23 on my hip well. If SHTF I hope I can get to a few AR's, but this is how I get down on a daily basis.

Top Bottom