• ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    the world may never know ;)
    images
    Just reminded me of Mr. Owl.
    I would say your better off with to many than not enouph though!

Joz86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    NWI-Lowell
    5.45x39 AR with a coupled mag and 6 mags of nice Russian corrosive ammo in a bandoleer. Also, a G22 with 5-6 mags. In the event I burn through 240 rounds in 1 encounter, I doubt that a few extra mags would save me from the situation before I could even fire my original loadout. As for different ammo types, I would take a tracer on the 15th and 30th round so I always know where I am at mag wise.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How many mags do you think one should have for his SHTF Rifle of choice? And would you load them all the same?

I try to have a Minimum of 10 Mags per Firearm, but honestly I am not happy until I get up around 20+ per Firearm...

In my BOB I generally only have 3-6 mags though. I am generally going to be using the Grey Man if I have to BOB it anywhere. You have to remember weight in your BOB. Somethings are far more important than ammo...

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So, my current "SHTF" rifle is an AK47 and in it's "case/bag" there are 6 loaded mags. (I also keep the R870+2 fully loaded with spare shells in addition to my 2xGlock22 w/7x15rd Mags)

A recurring theme I see in this thread that really boggles my mind seems to be "and a tracer loaded in position X".

Now, I understand about wanting to monitor your ammo supply, but why in gods name would someone want to visually reveal their position in a SHTF situation if they don't have to?

tracers-war-murphy-tracers-clon-army-demotivational-poster-1212780981.jpg

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    hey guys keep in mind one thing there is legislation on the floor right now that would prohibit the transfer of mags. slim chance it will pass ( i think) but we all thought the 94 ban wouldnt pass either. just my :twocents: better to have it and not need it

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    No matter how many you have it will be one less than you need.

Very, very true.

My SHTF rifle is a DPMS AP4 308.

I'd carry as many mags as possible, but different bullets are a must

110 gr. V max (yeah, in a 308, they just EXPLODE!! :rockwoot::ar15:
    180 gr. round nose (you never know when you want to take down a moose, or an engine block)

160gr FMJ-BT (oldies but goldies)

throw in some match kings and you're good.

But those 20rd mags do get pretty heavy after a while

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I try to have a Minimum of 10 Mags per Firearm, but honestly I am not happy until I get up around 20+ per Firearm...

In my BOB I generally only have 3-6 mags though. I am generally going to be using the Grey Man if I have to BOB it anywhere. You have to remember weight in your BOB. Somethings are far more important than ammo...
    Similar to this.

Minimum we say per gun is 20 mags 14 30's, 6 20's, and then range mags and gamer mags. A ratio of about 1 20 to 7 30's when you are done.

For total mags needed, the number we use is mags per shooter since we all use AR's. No matter how many AR's you have, you only shoot one at a time.

If I had to guess I am around 75 mags per shooter but kids all inherit 1 AR, 20 30's and 6 20's. Grandkids will get ours when we croak.

I use 6 20's in a chest rig for traveling.

mutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    And I thought I was going overboard the first time I bought five 30 rounders

Got a few more now

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I get a little paranoid if I don't have at least a dozen for every firearm I own... At least that's what the voices tell me.;)

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Just my opinion,,

If your sheltering in place and plan on defending your position, the more loaded mags you have the better, spread them out in different parts of your AO.

If your humping it on down the road then as part of your BOB should be whatever you can carry and as mentioned before, somet hings are more important then ammo.

I also presonally recomend that you do keep some FMJ and some JHP mags loaded at least for your hand guns. Some times FMJ's are needed to stop something large or to punch through something..

My EDC / GHB has 50 FMJ and 50 JHP loose rounds for my primary weapon and two loaded mags, one FMJ, one JHP. There is also 50 loose rounds for my BUG, some are FMJ's some are JHP. I also carry the mag in the primary gun and a spare for it on my person. I also carry my bug and a spare mag for it on my person.

I leave the house every day with 207 rounds..

Just my two pennies guys, and I don't knwo anything..

Top Bottom