jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Potassium Iodide May Not Help With Dirty Bombs

While demand for the drug has never been higher, potassium iodide may not help with so called "dirty bombs." It's thought that such bombs would likely use other radioactive materials, and not radioactive iodine, and the drug is only thyroid-protective in the even of exposure to radioactive iodine.

:xmad: Great! So is there another type of pill to counter what a dirty bomb may have? :dunno:

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    The final 2010 MEET & SHOOT will be in NOV. Go vote for which date!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...14439-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_nov_date.html

Halloween Cigar OC Night is 28 OCT 2010
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0_28_-_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_pine_island.html

Appleseed for NWI
    2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I read that also. I think the only thing good for this contingency is to put lots of mass (or distance) between you and the radiation.

Easy for you perhaps. But I travel to YOUR prez's mecca every day *cough* Chicago *cough* and I'm sure that like most of the other top major cities Chicago is a target for a dirty bomb. Granted I think that LA and NYC would be targets 1 (NYC) and 2 (LA) but now with YOUR prez in office his hometown is a much bigger target.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Easy for you perhaps.

...YOUR prez's ... YOUR prez...

I don't have a bomb shelter. I wish I did, but one must have priorities and make difficult decisions.

Anyhow, the remainder of your post indicates that either you aren't an american citizen or you seem to have made some assumption about me and my political beliefs... :dunno: Forgive me, because I'm confused.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sry bigus_D the YOUR PREZ is a running joke I have here in which I don't claim I7BO as my president and since I7BO is such a gun-loving president and the majority of readers here are gun-nuts well he fits right in being YOUR PREZ. LOL!!!

Don't think he is the worst president we have had but he sure is inching his way to that top 5 list I think. So are you saying your not claiming him as your prez either. =) I'm sure someone on here (perhaps Savage Eagle) will.
    LOL!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Iodine 131 is a product of uranium fission and has a half life of about 8 days. It doesn't hang around as long as other products like strontium 90 which gets concentrated in the bones. The short half life, thyroid concentration, and beta decay are what make it a problem after the initial release.

jbrittin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    Ok, let me shed some light on this subject. The way KI works is that it floods your thyroid gland with Iodine (I) so that your thyroid does not take up any radioactive iodine from nuclear fallout. If your thyroid does take up radioactive Iodine, the radioactivity will be concentrated in your thyroid for years, eventually causing thyroid cancer. In the event of nuclear fallout, taking KI is a good idea because it poses next to no risks but has the benefits of preventing (curable) thyroid cancer many years in the future. However, I don't think it's an absolute survival necessity at all. Like I said, its protective effects are years in the future. It will NOT protect you against the accute effects of radiation poisoning at all. It will NOT protect you against all of the many other cancers that you will develop after large dose irradiation (eg. Leukemia). People should not be promoting this stuff as some sort of shield that will let you walk around in nuclear fallout with no ill effects.

Aside: Radioactive iodine is often USED to TREAT thyroid cancer.

Top Bottom