How many people are switching to a 450 bushmaster this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not that familiar with the 458 socom but I assume your talking about handloads, or just in general?

Factory loads are available in several different weights from about 300 grains on up to some very heavy loads. The 450 Bushmaster uses 451 diameter handgun bullets, the 458 Socom uses 458 diameter rifle bullets. The handgun bullets are great for light skinned animals (deer) but not as good for other animals. Its really a matter of personal choice, the 450 Bushmaster is probably a bit cheaper, but I think the 458 Socom offers a wider selection of game choices because of the wider selection of bullet choices.

But if you want to talk about handloads then I have some handloads up to 720 grain gas check lead bullets that are fun to lob at concrete blocks and some very light 100 grain aluminum bullets that will blow up a rogue pumpkin that is trying to escape from the pumpkin patch while tossing a 10' ball of flame out of the end of an 18" barrel.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I remember at one time that the .450 bushmaster was breaking bolts and bolt carriers in AR15-type rifles due to the higher pressures. Do you know if they've gotten that problem resolved? I like the Bushmaster ballistics a little better than the .458 SOCOM but I went with the SOCOM because it seemed more reliable.

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    I remember at one time that the .450 bushmaster was breaking bolts and bolt carriers in AR15-type rifles due to the higher pressures. Do you know if they've gotten that problem resolved? I like the Bushmaster ballistics a little better than the .458 SOCOM but I went with the SOCOM because it seemed more reliable.
    I haven't heard of this but is sounds kinda scary. I've been on 450bushmaster.net and read quite a bit but don't remember reading anything about broken bolts or bolt carriers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I remember at one time that the .450 bushmaster was breaking bolts and bolt carriers in AR15-type rifles due to the higher pressures. Do you know if they've gotten that problem resolved?

I'm not sure they ever got those totally fixed, but I think the factory loads have been standardized enough at lower pressure levels that its not a problem. Not sure if the rounds actually perform as advertised anymore. Remember the hype around the 6.8 SPC? There were all sorts of promises made about that round. It took several generations of chamber changes and barrel twist changes before the round would perform up to the initial claims . . . sadly for the early and mid-level adopters they will never see their guns meet the mediocre performance claims of that round.

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    A good friend of mine has the 16 inch barrel upper and he chronoed his and it was about 2150 feet per second. That's pretty close to what is advertised. I believe 2200 is what they claim and thats out of a 20 inch barrel.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Not worth the added expense for one shot a year. I truly thought about it, and even obtaining everything at dealer cost, it wasn't worth the transition. They are pretty sweet though.

jodus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    new castle
    love it

not really worried about bullet selection as i'm only shooting deer with factory ammo. after shooting 3 shots in a half inch at 100 yards with an 8 moa red dot i am very happy :rockwoot:with my 450

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I'm seroiusly thinking about a .450 Bushmaster. My problem right know I can't seem to find a complete upper for sale, new. I was looking at getting on middle of July, but didn't find any to be had.

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    I'm seroiusly thinking about a .450 Bushmaster. My problem right know I can't seem to find a complete upper for sale, new. I was looking at getting on middle of July, but didn't find any to be had.
    There are some 20 inch uppers on gunbroker that are brand new as of a couple of hours ago.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    my 12ga kills deer dead enough for me. the longest shot I'd ever have to take is 150. and with me running accutips out of my 870 that is more than do-able.

Top Bottom