• Are you or a family member in AARP?

• Total voters

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Great, on another forum I go to, the whole group told me I was nuts and even if they were against the people who bear arms, it saved them so much money! Made me laugh at them, then posted a couple of links for them like I did here, and again was told the saved themselves so much money they would never quit.

I told them all you need is a state issued ID or DL and you usually get a discount, sometimes more than an AARP membership will, and was told again to just for get it, I can't afford to quit them……I live on a small disability stipend I got from my employment at the Sec of State in IL, and I am not worried nor do they save me anything because i can usually get the motel or hotel of doctor or etc to give me a discount that is either equal to an AARP discount or greater than…..

Lastly, while I am old enough, they didn't start to pressure me to join with junk mail etc until I hit 53, three years go. So while that certainly feels old in my broken up and down body, I know I am not that old really. IDK if a business reply mail envelope is still usable on a box, but it made them aware they should stop messing with me and use the extra cash for some other fogey.:fogey:

Again, keep up the good work and maybe if you are willing, the three who said they are members, maybe send me a PM? I won't make it a time to ridicule or try to anger you either, just wondering if you knew this when or before you joined or if you feel like it has been worth too much to lose….:dunno:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The sad truth is that they are recognized nationwide and you can get discounts that more than cover the $16 a year they charge. They send out two magazines a month. The cover on one is always a liberal. Can't recall ever seeing anything but a liberal there. It is a quick way to keep up with what stunts the liberals are trying to pull.

Several years ago I suggested to my wife that we dump then. She nixed it. Not the hill to die on for me.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My Dad who is 81 is a member of AARP simply because he retired from the UAW. I guess it's a free union "perk". I hate to see the AARP magazines sitting on his table and encourage him to throw them away. Same with the union "Solidarity" magazines he still gets.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Never had it, never will.

I will happily pay full retail for anything if I can't get a discount without supporting the destruction of my own liberties.

AARP can rot.

+1 to warthog for the Box o' Rocks trick; may have to try that one myself.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My Dad who is 81 is a member of AARP simply because he retired from the UAW. I guess it's a free union "perk". I hate to see the AARP magazines sitting on his table and encourage him to throw them away. Same with the union "Solidarity" magazines he still gets.
    That's too bad, because much like the NRA it is their number of members that make them formidable in politics.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I am not, and never will be, an AARP member. Oh, and I’ve been mailing the postage paid envelopes full of garbage for years. Potato peels are one of my favorite things to mail to annoying jerk offs that send me junk mail.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Nope. After they threw their membership under the bus to support Obamacare don't even open their junk mail. No discount is worth supporting them.

That's too bad, because much like the NRA it is their number of members that make them formidable in politics.

I am always amazed how excited the anti's get about the little bit of lobbying money the NRA spends. They never seem to realize it is about the number of voting members, not the money.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I will NEVER join AARP.
    Supporting an anti-American organization for the sake of some discounts would make me feel like a sellout of my country.
    I'll consider joining amac though.

My better half thinks the same.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The AARP is a progressive​ (a/k/a liberal...leftist) lobbying organization and has been as long as I can remember.

Proud of my Mom who, in her late 70s, was told that that she could get a discount on her health insurance if she joined AARP told the insurance agent that she would never join the AARP and don't bring any more plans to her that required it.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    haha, good idea. They have been sending the wife and myself crap for last several years and I trash it because I am familiar with their political views. I wonder how they would like to receive a box of kitty litter, used that is.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, I am sorry to bring this thread up again….

I just wanted to say, on the other forum I spoke of in my OP, they are still lambasting me for being Anti-AARP…again, this is also a firearm forum and supposedly all of the folks there are staunch 2A supporters. They just love to save a buck even if it costs them their guns.

Really makes me laugh how much the other forum feels like I caused them a huge problem when I told them they as AARP supporters weren't as strong of a 2A supporter as they thought. Essentially they feel is the join the NRA, never write or email or call anyone about anything among their legislature, plus as long as they say online that all their firearms were lost in a fire or boating accident, they are safe…no matter how many pictures of their firearms they show off….sadly, I am afraid this is how the bulk of today's America feels.

Top Bottom