How many people went to high school reunions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Booze and nudity were the memorable highlights. Tigers in the bathroom are overkill, just stick with the Cougars.

You need to let some time pass, the babies they had in high school aren't even weaned yet. :)

At my 20th, I was on the front porch of the building and had just inappropriately touched the hindquarters of one of my classmates (she invited me to do it - it was related to how I teased her in high school). Her husband was (whom I'd never met previously) . . . displeased. But that was not my problem because after that I was just standing there minding my own business when it happened. Another one of our classmates who was inside lifted her dress to her neck level and pressed everything she had against the window as a joke to the girls whose hindquarters I had just inappropriately touched. What she didn't know was that I was standing right there too. I enjoyed the sight. Drunk people are sometimes amusing.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I am the president of my high school class (graduated in 2013) and unfortunately am responsible for the "planning" of reunions. Can any of you "enlightened" gentlemen provide me some advice on what makes high school reunions good/bad?

Since I just recently (last year) went through the planning part of my reunion, here's my take:

1) start early. The earlier the better. Like I wouldn't start any later than January of your high school reunion, but really earlier than that (like a full year in advance) would be better.

2) pick a date quickly, and start looking for locations early. This was our biggest issue.

3) I would say to go later in the year (fall time) and avoid summer. We did ours in the summer time thinking that would be better but you're in the middle of vacation time and this will limit people.

4) Don't be surprised when the majority of people won't attend. 750 ish people in my class, maybe 125 total people (classmates + spouses) showed up.

5) get a list of addresses from your high school of all the students and their addresses then save it. You'll need it eventually ;)

6) keep costs as low as possible, for obvious reasons. You'll get more people if you do. Our 20 year reunion was in a nice venue, with heavy appetizers for food, not a full dinner. This helped with cost but also gave the people the option to just graze vs a more formal sit down dinner. Also allowed people to roam around more vs. being tied to a seat.

7) our next reunion (25 yr?) we talked about being even less formal and having a big bon fire somewhere. BYO beer/food/what ever.

that's probably a good start ;)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I went back home to NY for my 25th, but my friends and I were having such a good time drinking and talking that we skipped going to the reunion. We were all together and hanging out with who we wanted to anyways.

I've been to two of my wife's reunions. She graduated with Jeff Gordon, and inevitably that's what everyone discusses sooner or later... whether he's going to show up lol. He hasn't.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I didn't make it to my 10th. I may make it to the 20th in a couple years. It could be fun to see who's divorced or single. :)

When you find out who's divorced and/or single, there is a good chance we will also find out how fast you can run!

The only reunion I attended was the 5 year (in 1996) and I saw enough there to last me pretty well indefinitely, right down to the girl who acted like she was being magnanimous acknowledging my presence in school who was trying to warm up to me after having a kid minus a dad and, well, something that won't wash off. I don't think so.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    Since I just recently (last year) went through the planning part of my reunion, here's my take:

1) start early. The earlier the better. Like I wouldn't start any later than January of your high school reunion, but really earlier than that (like a full year in advance) would be better.

2) pick a date quickly, and start looking for locations early. This was our biggest issue.

3) I would say to go later in the year (fall time) and avoid summer. We did ours in the summer time thinking that would be better but you're in the middle of vacation time and this will limit people.

4) Don't be surprised when the majority of people won't attend. 750 ish people in my class, maybe 125 total people (classmates + spouses) showed up.

5) get a list of addresses from your high school of all the students and their addresses then save it. You'll need it eventually ;)

6) keep costs as low as possible, for obvious reasons. You'll get more people if you do. Our 20 year reunion was in a nice venue, with heavy appetizers for food, not a full dinner. This helped with cost but also gave the people the option to just graze vs a more formal sit down dinner. Also allowed people to roam around more vs. being tied to a seat.

7) our next reunion (25 yr?) we talked about being even less formal and having a big bon fire somewhere. BYO beer/food/what ever.

that's probably a good start ;)
    Thank you sir for the suggestions.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I am the president of my high school class (graduated in 2013) and unfortunately am responsible for the "planning" of reunions. Can any of you "enlightened" gentlemen provide me some advice on what makes high school reunions good/bad?

Try to have an enthusiastic committee so that you avoid doing all the work yourself. That is a guaranteed burn out factor.

Involve others in looking for missing classmates and spreading the word. A personal invite from a friend is much stronger than just a note in the mail.

See if you can get a tour of the school. Lots of spouses are interested in where their mates went to school.

Have several activities that are more low key than a sit down dinner. Tying the reunion to a football game has worked for us several times.

Use Facebook to build interest and anticipation.

MAKE SURE that everyone, not just the jocks and cheerleaders, feel welcome and wanted. If someone feels left out they have no reason to come to a future one. Have volunteers assigned to mingle and ensure everyone gets talked to and feels like they are contributing to the event.

Have badges made with the senior picture and name for everyone. People forget names and faces and this helps everyone recognize everyone else.

MAKE the spouses feel welcome and wanted. Involve them as much as possible. DO NOT let them feel like it was a waste for them because if they don't want to come to a future reunion you have probably lost the graduate also.

Know that the first few reunions may not show as close knit of a group as you desire. As I noted earlier, our class has grown much closer over the past decade as we have hit our 60s. Things that separated us into differing groups back then are pretty immaterial now.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I graduated in 1980. I have attended my ten and twenty year reunions. 10 year was a hoot and most of the class showed up. Twenty was sort of sparse. My entire class was 110. I'd say there were 10 people, including spouses (I don't have one). We have had a fair number of deaths, then we have folks in the service (especially in 2000) and some who were bullied (like me in fact) but can't get over it. I got over it well before I became a Christian and would have a hard time even needing to get over it now, meaning it wouldn't even bother me now so what would there be to get over?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I suppose my outlook is that I don't have anything against anyone, I just don't feel motivated to bother with it. Just nothing for me there.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Our tenth was a hoot as I said. We had games relating to our class while in school. The music was also from in school so there was a lot of classic rock and even some Disco (lol). Lots of dancing and drinking but we had it in one of the big hotels so they gave everyone a break on the rooms. Keeps the drunks from being arrested or killing themselves or someone else. The dinner was great, the committee was indeed enthusiastic and did a lot of work tracking us all down as we spread to the four winds after school. It was fun and I hope yours will be great too.
    Remember, these folks have been apart for a while. We had a small class and it was a small town school so I think we were a bit closer than a bigger school so we still had a sort of bond going but that may or may not happen. By year 20 we pretty much talked more to spouses and their stuff than to each other.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    One of my favorite movies.

Ha, me too.

Marcella: You know, when you started getting invited to your ten year high school reunion, time is catching up. Martin Q. Blank: Are you talking about a sense of my own mortality or a fear of death?
    Marcella: Well, I never really thought about it quite like that.
    Martin Q. Blank: Did you go to yours?
    Marcella: Yes, I did. It was just as if everyone had swelled.

It's funny because it's pretty much true.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Been to every one of ours. 5 yr reunion was just a beerfest. Next 2-3 were more formal. By 30th, we got it right. Were went to a small, rural school. Many still live near (but not all). This past party was held at a class members farm. We moved his implements out and cleaned it up nice. One class member runs a catering service, with help, he roasted a hog. Another member was in a band, they played. As one poster mentioned, we toured the school (optional), It had been remodeled extensively since we left. Many of us are still friends, Most of us just are too busy to see everyone regularly. It was a great way for all to say hi and was rated a great time by all. As we have done for the 20th & 25th, by 2AM, all that were able and interested ended up at my place and we had another huge breakfast. Fun, Informal, Cheap and worth it.

PS: Love Grosse Pointe Blank

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    as far as I know we haven't had another since 20. Since there were only about ten of us there counting spouses, with only 112 of us total graduating along with the deaths... I imagine that will be it. I doubt I will go to another.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A couple day ago I found out my class is having our 35 year reunion on the 30th. Just a supper. I will probably go. I am having surgery about a week earlier. If I am up to it I will be there.

We lost another class mate just a few days ago.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I got my invite to my 10 year when it happened a few years ago. I didn't really get along with a lot of the people that said they were going so I didnt go.

Top Bottom