• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Wondering how many people are choosing the pistol caliber carbines or lever actions as a go to survival gun choice?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont have one yet, but it is on my short list for my next rifle. A PCC that matches your EDC does simplify the prep a bit.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I normally carry a ruger sp101 around town or a gp100 maybe the smith 686 in a 4 or 6 inch when in the sticks so I've grown accustom to my marlin or rossi being close at hand. Same ammo and the rossi is so short and light which has become a requirement as I get older.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Would M1 Carbines count? I have a couple of those. More than pistol but less than battle rifle; roughly .375mag point blank performance at 100yds. It's the 7.62x33 110gr round instead of 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 or 7.62x65 or others.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    One size fits all does not work for me. I need options that include reaching out to at least 500 yards. I don't think pistol rounds would meet my expectations. Close quarters, several options would be great but you still need something that can reach out and touch from afar.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I prefer a full size rifle with a full power rifle cartridge if I gotta shoot two legged varmints.
    Mr Rawles has some pretty good reasons not to carry a PCC if you have a choice.

https://survivalblog.com/letter_re_one_common_caliber_f/
    If I find the necessity to shoot something beyond 100 yards, a rifle is the only way to go. Back in the real world, at less than 100, 30 rounds of .45 acp wil kill anything that is a threat.

Someone beyond a 100 yards isn't much of threat, unless you are worried about snipers. In that case, are you going to carry your 1000 yard gun? It's all about the right tool for the job.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    It's another excuse to buy a firearm!!!!! :rockwoot:I have a Highpoint 9mm Carbine which is a joy to shoot. I also have a JR Carbine that uses 9mm Glock mags which is really accurate and have the ability to use with a G19 or G17.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Guns are like a golf bag. You need something for every distance from here to the flag. How far is the flag?.......

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If I find the necessity to shoot something beyond 100 yards, a rifle is the only way to go. Back in the real world, at less than 100, 30 rounds of .45 acp wil kill anything that is a threat.

Someone beyond a 100 yards isn't much of threat, unless you are worried about snipers. In that case, are you going to carry your 1000 yard gun? It's all about the right tool for the job.

I figure I can deliver that much 45 ACP in about a second and a half. No problemo.;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Exactly! If I need a rifle, I'm gonna need some magnification too.

Here in the jungle I would be hitting trees for sure before I got much farther than 100 yards, still have the long range thing covered or the ability to go through the trees. Depends on how you look at it.:)

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have seen to many people shot with handguns that are released from the hospital just a few hours later to have confidence in a small caliber firearm plus the fact that they cannot reach out far.

A handgun is to use to fight your way back to your long gun...

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I have to agree with James Yeager (in that other thread) on this one. PCCs are stupid. (And yes, we're referring to self defense roles, not plinking or deer hunting someday when it becomes legal.)

The whole idea of "it takes the same mags and ammo as my little gun" is a great notion... but lends itself to no real advantage in a defensive situation. If you're going to carry a big gun, carry big ammo with it. For prepper/survival stuff the ONLY reason to carry a handgun is if you need to conceal it or the threat level (from two-legged predators) is low enough you don't need a long gun. In any other situation - you need a long gun!

There's a place for PCCs in today's safe world. Use them as a trunk gun, to plink, whatever. But having that as your bug out long gun is a complete waste. Substitute an AR, AK, or any other "real rifle" and you'll be much better suited to fend off people trying to kill you.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm getting the 9mm kit for my Tavor but not so much for prepping as for being able to ring steel at MCF&G and do some CQB training where rifle calibers are not permitted. I'm also thinking this with a suppressor would be great for home defense. Hell,. 223 suppressed would be great too... Or 300 Blackout... Decisions, decisions...

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County

Buying another firearm is always a good idea in my estimation. That being said toting a PCC in a "survival situation" is only gonna allow you to engage targets at short to medium range. As you've said inside 100 yards. Why would you carry a rifle that restricts your ability to return affective fire at any range you can competently shoot? Obviously some of us can shoot accurately at longer ranges than others. Happy that you decided to return us to the real world by the way. Makes no sense to me. A 223 or 762x39 will do the same job inside 100 yards as any PCC will do only better with more damage and with longer range ability. Theres a reason most soldiers in combat dont carry PCCs normally.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This.

I have had 2 pistol caliber carbines lately and just have issues falling in lust with them let alone love.

Top Bottom