How many public school teachers have stepped up and asked the question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    As I have posted on here before I know of a school district that has a number of armed bus drivers. They like to keep it hush hush so the sheeple don't freak but they are there.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I guess you could even say that parents dont need to be authorized at all as bringing your kids to school or any other parental activity would fall under "participate in any other activity authorized by a school."
    No, that would not work unless they had been employed or authorized. Least not in reading the way it is written

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Is there not a Federal law that governs carrying on school property as well?

It is my understanding that the federal law banning possession of a firearm was struck down as unconstitutional (violated the Commerce Clause) by the Supreme Court:

"The possession of a gun in a local school zone is in no sense an economic activity that might, through repetition elsewhere, substantially affect any sort of interstate commerce." United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549, 567 (1995).

El T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Fishers
    I talked to my wife about this, although she doesn't carry.

Schools should have at least some minimum amount of protection. They rely almost solely on the "hide" the kids scenario, which is fine. I would think that they could easily allow teachers to carry "blinding" flashlights at a minimum to buy some time.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I spoke to an elementary teacher last night (shooting buddy of mine) and he has already approached his principle and is exploring the option of addressing his super intendant for permission to be trained and take on this responsibility.

His wife (who teaches at the same school and is a gun owner) is also interested as well as a couple of other teachers.

He is willing to pay for his own equipment and training...

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

Schools should have at least some minimum amount of protection. They rely almost solely on the "hide" the kids scenario, which is fine. I would think that they could easily allow teachers to carry "blinding" flashlights at a minimum to buy some time.

or pepper spray or baseball bats or something...

BTW... the teacher I mention above has long had a baseball bat mounted in his room.

I asked him if teachers can do that... and he said "It's a prop" :D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Yes, attached to the rail underneath a handgun.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    So, am I reading the Indiana law correctly which allows teachers to carry if they get permission from Superintendents or Principles?

Great idea, wonder how many schools in Indiana will actually do it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Strangely, a not too liberal reading of the school property carry regulations in Indiana "already allow it."

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has beenemployed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

These days, all teachers and administration are to act as security, they perform and participate in school functions, and participate in any/all other authorized school activities.

I'm positive it's against the spirit of the law - but doesn't seem to violate the letter.

Good luck winning in court, though. *sigh*

-J-

We had an instance in LAKE COUNTY indiana eariler this year where a bus-aid had a gun on the bus while on school property. The gun fell out of his pocket (ie. no holster). The aid was just fired and no additional action was taken.

Why?

Because per the IC above the law already allows those employeed by the school to be expempt from not carrying. The DA's office did not want to take this to court and have the case go against them so they just fired him instead. To date their is no court case on the subject to clarify it but reading the IC it is in place. Granted I'm sure that was not how the law was meant to be written. :whistle:

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    but.....

What about this:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    but.....

What about this:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

:facepalm:

That does not apply to the "exmpt" class.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I work at a school and I can tell you how this would turn out in 99% of cases. Teachers, educators, and school administrators are among the most left leaning, anti gun nuts on the planet. I don't want to paint with a broad brush, I know several people who aren't, but the education system has been taken over by the liberals. Just look at what the teacher's unions back and what they fund. Good luck getting permission from a school.

Top Bottom