• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    So, curious question. If you are ‘working up a load’ how many rounds of each load do you load up for a range trip. I know that will vary depending upon the situation. I was lucky enough a couple decades ago to be able to shoot several hundred yards from my loading bench. Back the;it was nothing to load up 3-10 rounds and take over and try out. Now, I am about 15 minutes from a ‘pistol’ range and close to an hour from my rifle range.

I figure I’m a pretty crappy shot, so if I’m looking for real accuracy I will load up probably 20 rounds to give me several 5 shot groups. Sometimes if it’s a bot more serious like trying to get a hunting load, close to h8nting season, I may load up to 30 or 50 rounds to shoot groups and ha= enough ammo to sight in and test at various ranges.

I’m curious of your guys’ setups and theories as far as how many rounds you load up for a range trip, all things considered…

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I typically load 20ish rounds if the load is close to being done. Probably only 10 if I am experimenting with different bullets and powders.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I typically load 20ish rounds if the load is close to being done. Probably only 10 if I am experimenting with different bullets and powders.
    About what I will do, when im close to a bullet/powder combo I will load a hundred.
    And seat the bullet touching the lands, I have a small press I bring with me and then shoot groups with deeper seating untill it gets better or worse.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I load 10rds, and bump up 0.2gr per 10rds depending on powder until I find what my rifle likes. Then I start playing with OAL.
    So for an example if the starting load is 25gr, and maximum load is 28gr I'll have 10 each 25.2 25.4 25.6 25.8 etc until I reach the 28gr maximum charge.
    Once you narrow it down you you can fine tune it. Say 26.4 was the best 10 shot groups. You can then load 26.3 and 26.5gr to see if that will improve your groups.
    After that you can playing with OAL if you want to do that.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I load 10rds, and bump up 0.2gr per 10rds depending on powder until I find what my rifle likes. Then I start playing with OAL.
    So for an example if the starting load is 25gr, and maximum load is 28gr I'll have 10 each 25.2 25.4 25.6 25.8 etc until I reach the 28gr maximum charge.
    Once you narrow it down you you can fine tune it. Say 26.4 was the best 10 shot groups. You can then load 26.3 and 26.5gr to see if that will improve your groups.
    After that you can playing with OAL if you want to do that.
    This information is kinda correct ....
    Find your max charrge.....load 10 rounds starting at max & load down .2 grain examples 30.0 , 29.8 , 29.6 , 29.4 , 29.2 ect
    Fire the load threw your chronograph, you will see 3 loads near the top end with velocity nearly identical.....lowest charge with fastest velocity is your load.

Top Bottom