• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I know this question has been asked before, but I am curious what others consider their comfort point in carrying in today's (October 2013) environment. So, when you are out and about in the general public, what caliber and how many rounds does it take for you to feel comfortably armed? Has this changed in the last year? If so, why?

In my case, one year ago I was mainly carrying a CZ 75 Compact (14+1) in 9mm with one spare 16 round magazine. I'd often carry a Sig P238 as a backup with a pair of spare 6 round mags in .380. Today, more often than not, I'm carrying a Glock 23 (13+1) and a pair of spare 13 round mags for a total of 40 rounds in .40 S&W. I sometimes pocket carry a Glock 27 as a backup but only when wearing something with large pockets. When I do carry the CZ now, I add a second spare mag.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Right now I am carrying a XDs 9mm (yes, despite the recall). 7+1 for me. I feel comfortable with that. Of course I also have a spare 7 round mag on me. Around home I keep a SR9 which is 17+1.

I think I read once that the average number of shots a person fires in a real self defense situation is 2 or 3. Of course, the more available the better. Never know what you might find yourself caught up in.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Lately I have been using the 14 round mag in the gun (+1 of course) and carrying one sixteen round and one nineteen round magazine. Sometimes it's just whatever mags are loaded. More often than not I use a sixteen round mag in the gun and have another sixteen with me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Depends...

If I'm "walking heavy" it's 17+1 and +17 spare
    If I'm going medium, it's 8+1 and +8 spare
    If I'm not carrying a gun, it's 5.

-J-

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I usually carry my Ruger SR9c with 17+1 and a spare 17 rnd mag...sometimes 2.

However, I feel comfortably armed without the spare mags.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    The seven that are in the gun, and a 6 rd spare mag. Not cause I think I might need more rds, but because it's best to have a spare mag if the first one splits a weld or otherwise there's a problem. Fastest way to fix it, generically, is rip out the problematic mag and insert another one. Civillan fights happen very close up, and you'd better either win or get to cover in less than 2 seconds. No way you fire good shots faster than 4 shots per second, on moving, dangerous attackers. Once you have cover, you don't need many rds at all. all that noise is bringing you help and making the bad guy flee. don't fire at fleeing men or cover using heads. It's just a huge potential for legal trouble, and unnecessary.

gberry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Zionsville
    I feel comfortable with my 6+1 .45 acp Glock 36. Everything I have ever carried has been a big bore hand gun. I prefer more knock down power over round count.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    There's no such thing as "knock down power", not even with a 12 ga. If such a thing existed, firing the gun would also knock down the guy who fired it. If you'll shoot some vermin animals with both .45 and 9mm, you'll notice no difference, with equivalent loads. I've shot hundreds of critters with ccw guns. Because of that experience, I"ll take CorBon's 1400 fps (4" barrel) 100 gr 9mm PowrBall over any .45 load in 230 gr, and most of them in 185 gr, too, because they are traveling too slow to expand. The 200 gr Speer wont expand in flesh from the shorter barreled .45's, either. At least one of the 165 gr loads is loaded to too low a velocity for expansion, too. What happens in jello doesn't matter, cause it does not mirror what happens in the chest organs, especially after the hp cavity gets 'clogged" with clothing debris.

gberry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Zionsville
    Well I think "critters" is a bad example to use as an argument for the myth of knock down power. People hunt varmit with .22's. If you want to carry a .22, that is your business. I suppose it is better than nothing. Also, the opposite reaction theory does not mean it is going to knock you down. Bigger calibers typically have more recoil (and yes I realize it also depends on gun weight and internals as I have shot jumping .380's and .45's alike). However, the S&W 500 magnum is going to have more blowback than your 9mm, and it would probably hurt more to take that round to the leg than a .22, .380, ect. While it is true that the shot placement is usually more important than caliber size, I think it is also fair to say a bigger bullet leaves a bigger hole, taking anyone out of the fight quicker. Bigger calibers equals more lead to create the debris you mentioned. Not that I want to have to shoot anyone in the first place.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, when I asked this I was carrying a Ruger LC0 with two extra magazines. That gave me 7+1 in the pistol and 14 more in the spare magazines for a total of 22 rounds 9mm.

Since then I have traveled to FL to see my folks and decided to leave my LC9 there so I don't have to fly with a handgun all the time when I go see my family so now I carry my Ruger SR9c again with two extra magazines. This is carried openly since it is allowed here so I use the 17 round magazines with the mag sleeves. Now I have 17+1 rounds in the pistol and 34 more in my spares when carried openly for a total of 52 rounds of 9mm total when OC and on those rare occurrences when I decide to conceal, like going to the mall, I have 10+1 in the pistol and one magazine with 17 rounds extra for a total of 28 rounds on me.

I also carry my LCP as a BUG with 6+1 rounds .380 ACP in it as well and now that I have one I also carry my NAA Sidewinder with another 5 rounds of .22 mag as well as my 2ndary BUG.

Total rounds therefore, OC=63 rounds total of all calibers and when concealed I carry 39 total rounds. I also carry my Microtech Combat Troodon and another smaller pocket knife I like for typical tasks like cleaning my nails and opening envelopes and boxes etc.

Top Bottom