How many rounds until heat affects accuracy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    85 grain Gamepoints are sufficient for venison and very hard on coyotes.

Unless a bullet is able to reliably ensure an exit wound after encountering heavy bone, I wouldn't consider it sufficient. Based on the performance I've seen from typical lead tipped bullets in that weight range, an exit wound is iffy at best whether or not it encounters bone.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yes, it's the length of the bullet that matters, not the weight. If you intend to hunt with it, then you should stay around 100 grains of bullet weight unless you switch to one of the mono-metal bullets. Some of the mono-metal bullets may be longer than the 100 grain lead tips even if though they are lighter.

Thanks for making that point. Sierra says (IIRC) that the 95gr Tipped Matchking needs a 9 twist even though it's "only" 95 gr. That's an example that comes to mind, anyway.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks for making that point. Sierra says (IIRC) that the 95gr Tipped Matchking needs a 9 twist even though it's "only" 95 gr. That's an example that comes to mind, anyway.

You bring up another good point, it pays to read the manufacturers recommendation for each bullet you are considering.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    85 grain Gamepoints are sufficient for venison and very hard on coyotes.

If you wanted a range toy, BT, you might have been better off with a Howa bolt action. Looks like that break action single shot is designed to put the "one shot, one kill" sentiment into your range time. If you need three bullets to kill the target, your doing it wrong. :dunno:

I know if I need more than 1 shot, something went wrong. This rifle was a gift from my dad. I won't be getting rid of it because of that. I have considered a better suited bolt action if I feel the need.

If I ever do get a chance to use this rifle for a deer, I'm confidant enough for a shot under 150 yards, with the right ammo of course.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My Ruger 243 shot 100grn nice but after about 6 rounds it started to walk. By 10 rounds mirage in scope and you can burn yourself on the barrel. Gave it to a family member.

My Savage 22-250 it only took three rounds and by ten it's off the paper target. I promptly pedaled it off.

My AR in 223 had a 1" bull. You could easily squeeze off 60 rounds and it was just starting to warm and drill targets properly. Too heavy to lug around. Once it's hot it stays hot forever. It got gone too.

Currently playing with an 18" heavy barrel in 223. See how she does this spring.

Top Bottom